New FSX Steam Edition Beta Release

loki

Microsoft has pushed out a new beat release of FSX Steam Edition. The primary change is adding telemetry to support their development of the new sim. There are, however, additional bug fixes and updates, including the reintegration of live weather. See the link below for the full release notes.

https://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791436916733/announcements/detail/2549529393507642734

And it gets weirder. Went back to the normal files, but it seems that there has been massive climate change on FlightSim World. Taking off over Mobile Bay and the bay is gone. There is no bay, no Gulf, no lakes, no rivers. I validated the Steam files and restarted. Nuthin! Restarted the computer. Nuthin!

What can cause all water to disappear?

Live weather is back, and actually accurate.

EDIT: and it crashes to desktop. Probably my security settings, but "aint nobody got no time for that!".. back to what works

Take a read of the comments from the link, lots and lots of problems with it atm.

Can't wait to see what the new MSFS will be like if they can't manage to fix a couple of minor things without screwing everything up. lol

Mark Daniels

Yep. I got excited and ran in without checking it out. I trusted that it had been checked.

Won't do that again!

Deactivated all my added sceneries and Ultimate Terrain and GEX. Added em all back one at a time and Mobile Bay has filled back up. Seems back to normal. More test flights will be done tomorrow to ensure that everything still works.

HHHMMM Will keep this in mind if Microsoft pushes out a "Update" for the boxed edition.

Loki should lock this thread before it does anymore harm.

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

No problems here with a fresh install (in D: HDD), I don't use FSX.

The internal antialiasing works without Nvidia inspector and getting +100 fps.

The weather engine runs very, very fast.

Looks like MS boys are working and solving past mistakes

My PC

HP OMEN PC 880

i7-7700K 4.2GHz

32GB RAM

Nvidia 1080GTX

476 GB SSD

2x1.8 TB HDD

No problems here with a fresh install...

That appears to be the key. As long as you do a FRESH install. Reading the comments at Steam forum, if you all ready have add-ons (who doesn't), is when the problems start.

From Steam forum...

Not compatible with many add ons. Fps is really higher this is good news and i am happy with the real weather again. It only works if someone reinstalles the game completely.

On an existing installation, only crash.

it would have been good if they had given me notice..

Edited by dogdish
Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

It appears that many people got excited and skipped over the "Beta" part of the title. This is not a final release and bugs should be expected. To install it, Steam users have to go into the Steam Client and explicitly opt into the beta version.

Don't see any reason to lock this thread.

Edited by loki

It appears that many people got excited and skipped over the "Beta" part of the title. This is not a final release and bugs should be expected.

+1 on the "skipped the beta part", but...

from what I read, I see no plans for a "final" release.

It's above all meant as a telemetry object for a marketing study for the upcoming MSFS 2020 release.

We've released a new beta branch for FSX:SE that will help us gain valuable new telemetry data that will help us in the development of the new Microsoft Flight Simulator. If you are interested in assisting us with this process, please follow the link below, select the branch labeled fsx-beta – External Beta and select “yes” when asked if you allow telemetry. Remember that you are always able to opt out of the beta branch and return to the normal branch at any time.

IMO there's a chance it remains a beta until it has done it's purpose, to dissolve in thin air after that.

Wim

b727fcaptain.jpgx701captain5.jpg

Live weather is back, and actually accurate.

EDIT: and it crashes to desktop. Probably my security settings, but "aint nobody got no time for that!".. back to what works

I have done some flying in the Beta tonight and I just love having my Real Live weather back. What a treat and it works very well right out of the box.

Too bad yours seems to have crashed to desktop but its most likely something simple. If you get some time to poke around a bit you may just discover the issue.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi All, I have just downloaded the FSX Steam Beta Version and it keeps crashing on start up

I click yes on the Do you want to allow telemetry, FSX page comes up and then in the right bottom corner, i get the message microsoft FS has stopped working, Saying that a problem caused the program to stop working correctly, Windows will close the program and notify me if a solution is found.

Any help on this , I do not have any third party software on my PC.