Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: available memory

Default available memory

I have FS2004 (12.9 GB), in a W7 machine with 12.00GB RAM. I was edting a panel. All looked well & was working. I closed the machine down.
    2 hrs later it wouldn't start & gave a 'run out of available memory....disk cleanup, etc' message.

I've not installed anything new - years ago a new scenery caused this problem - so I assumed I'd done something with the panel that FS9 didn't like. I removed the aircraft but that doesn't help. I've looked on-line for an answer but don't see it.

I've put this panel in a FS9 (11.4 GB) in a Vista machine with 4.00GB RAM & it' fine.

My ? is: Is there a way of finding out what the problem is/could/might be ?

TerryW

These memory errors typically reference virtual memory - the swap file - not RAM; usually indicating your HD is low on free space or is badly fragmented. Also if you were doing graphics editing on a large file and the editor is set to save too many "undo" levels it can quickly consume the swap file.

Hello.
    The C HD is 3/4 empty & is solid state. FS9 has been as always been as smooth as silk.
    I was simply adding the switches ringed in red at bottom left to a 1.37mb BMP.

What's the swap file ? I've not heard of it before..........

One thing I should have mentioned is when I started the W7 machine it went into Check Drive. After the restart & started the sim & got the memory message..........could this be responsible ?

Name:  grab_021.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  94.0 KB

That's a typical message caused by something which isn't compatible with your FS9. It could have several reasons. Either aircraft, sceneries, traffic and so on. Best you deactivate step by step your last entries until your FS9 runs normally again. Then reactive all these files or folders step by step until you get the issue again. It's a hard work, i agree, but you won't waiste more time than searching somewhere where it's probably useless.

Bernard

Yes, but all I've done is add light switches to a panel. I've added it to FS9 in my Vista machine & it's working perfectly there. I am becoming surer that the W7 disk check has done something to stop FS9 from loading. I'd added the switches & for 30 mins things were running smoothly.

I have Golden Wings 3 in another drive (E) so I added the panel to an aircraft in that & it plays smoothly.

6. Default

Run this program. https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskinfo/

See any HDD errors?

Swap/page file is a portion on your HDD used by the OS to offload recently accessed data from RAM. It's used like RAM in a way for faster access to data that was recently used.
    My forum project. Click me
    OOM errors? Read this.
    Pick an Amazon wish list, help a child out
    From RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the orange glow of a SAM.
    !M [email protected] B5A9 =G s5FCB *CFA9GHF5B8 5B8 { <5J9 [email protected] <9F9 HC H<9 @=6F5FM

Thanks............I'll give it a whirl.....watch this space !

Well, I ran it & got a health status verdict of 100% Good....................should I edit the swap/page file in any way ?
    Last edited by gypsymoth; 11-16-2019 at 04:54 AM.

Update: I've reinstalled FS2004 (2.67 GB) & it's running without issues.........I'll add stuff slowly to get some semblance of what I had before it crashed.

As a rule if the sim was running fine then suddenly got a fault, it normally is the last thing you installed or changed.
    Anyway seeing as you have a fresh install test each addon one at a time, then if for any reason it gets a fault again you know where to look.

Col.

10. Default

I had the same issue as the OP but with Windows 10. My HDD checks out 100% good. The only thing I did was a Windows 10 upgrade from 1803 to 1903. Then FS9 won't start and gives the out of memory error. The only thing I have not done is a complete reinstall of FS9. I have an original install of FS9 from when it came out. I installed that on a separate HDD running Windows XP. This one has all of my add ons over the years. I back that up to another drive every few weeks. I have a love/hate relationship with Windows 10. I strongly believe the "upgrade" to 1903 is what borked my FS9 on Windows 10.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast