available memory

gypsymoth

@loki, I didn't phone I used the online thing, gave my number then I got the message saying it couldn't be activated as it had already been used.

That was true in all honesty, I had used it on a few laptops plus a couple of my old desktop PC's and on my daughter's laptop.

I found what I though was a way round it but that failed too lol, then after I did the upgrade I accidentally formatted my other HD that was in the PC deleting all my saved aircraft and other FS stuff, I was gutted, I nearly gave up on FS.

I also found I could have repaired the crashed HD but it was too late I had already upgraded to W10 and got FS running again, I didn't feel like going through it all again, on hindsight maybe I should have.

@gypseymoth, You say it closed in 1947 and you remember seeing aircraft there, so you must be a few years older than me, I was born in 1948 hence my sig ColR1948.

Col.

Col.

In W10 you can delay auto-updates but not disable them. And not only does W10 update its own files, it will update anything on your system - vid drivers, print drivers, even entire programs - without your knowledge, much less approval. That is a dealbreaker for me (how often have you intentionally used an older driver or program for a specific reason?). It seems each new version of windoze removes more and more user options; W11 may allow us to select wallpaper.

And it seems a particular W10 update has caused havoc with many games. All told, I'll stick with W7; I will probably expire before it does.

In 10 you should be able to turn off updates via services and group policy. Though, I'm not sure if that'll work and 10 renables that crap again without your permission. There's another way where you can use a nettop and Pfsense firewall and just block all of Microsoft's ASNs. Need M$ for something and just use a VPN to punch through.

As far as the driver update crap behind your back. Read this: https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/disable-automatic-driver-downloads-on-windows-10

.... Though, I'm not sure if that'll work and 10 renables that crap again without your permission. ...

I've been told those settings revert to default each time W10 updates.

And this "feature" is so reprehensible Micro$oft will not even comment -

https://www.howtogeek.com/243581/windows-10-may-delete-your-programs-without-asking/

Thanks for the comments, you guys make me feel young (vintage 1953).

RE auto updates for W10.

I use a program called WINDOWS UPDATE MANAGER (WUMP).This is a freeware program that effectively gives you back the choice of which updates you wish to install as per previous versions of Windows.

I run it everyday usually before a sim session to see what's pending ,if it's for instance virus definitions I will use the option to download and install , If on the other hand it shows the latest major update to W10 I simply choose the option to 'hide' the update and it's not installed, what will happen is every six weeks or so that major update will once again show as ready to install and you simply 'hide ' it again.

I am not saying that in the future I will not update W10 fully ,but at the moment my sim Fs9 runs trouble free and has done

for many months and as I only have a 240GB SS drive with Fs9 and W10 on it I don't think I have enough space for any major 10 updates anyway.

Anyways WUMP is the program and it works for me.

Cheers Andy

Thanks Andy, I downloaded Windows Update Manager and selected not to install in the options, had to reboot for it to take effect.

Col.

I hope it proves useful for you.

I have been using for many months now ,and so far has successfully blocked any update that I think may cause issues with my sim (Which of course is THE most important thing 🙂).There are other programs of this type ,but they mostly seem to block everything but WUMGR gives you choice.

At this moment I haven't got the space on my modest capacity SSD so couldn't install any major w10 updates anyway.

I may change that in the future , particularly if the new SIM requires it as I suspect it will.

Cheers Andy

Thanks Andy, I downloaded Windows Update Manager and selected not to install in the options, had to reboot for it to take effect.

Col.

I hope it proves useful for you.

I have been using for many months now ,and so far has successfully blocked any update that I think may cause issues with my sim (Which of course is THE most important thing 🙂).There are other programs of this type ,but they mostly seem to block everything but WUMGR gives you choice.

At this moment I haven't got the space on my modest capacity SSD so couldn't install any major w10 updates anyway.

I may change that in the future , particularly if the new SIM requires it as I suspect it will.

Cheers Andy

Hey guys, may I add another possibility here, for what's it worth.

Such OOM (out of memory) errors are, in my experience, caused by something which is programmable within FS9, e.g. a cockpit instrument, an effect, etc. and which contains one or more programming errors. In such cases the OOM error message means that something is trying to access a memory area outside that which is allotted for normal user use by Windows. It's in fact a Windows error message and does not mean that you have a shortage of memory. Maybe this can help to narrow down your search for the culprit(s).

Good luck

Hans