Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: available memory

Wow! looks good, I take it you live there, I took the liberty to have a look, seems nice down there, not far off the coast too by the looks of things.

Col.

Quote Originally Posted by ColR1948 View Post
    I am running FS9 in W10, I can believe that the update did something, I found a way to stop the updates in W10 and it worked for a while but it seems MS have got round it and they upgrade anyway.....

The annoying thing with all this is not just me but lots and lots of us have spent many hours and money on addons and getting the sim/s to run as we like them only to be ruined by an update.

Col.
    In W10 you can delay auto-updates but not disable them. And not only does W10 update its own files, it will update anything on your system - vid drivers, print drivers, even entire programs - without your knowledge, much less approval. That is a dealbreaker for me (how often have you intentionally used an older driver or program for a specific reason?). It seems each new version of windoze removes more and more user options; W11 may allow us to select wallpaper.

And it seems a particular W10 update has caused havoc with many games. All told, I'll stick with W7; I will probably expire before it does.

@jgf Ha Ha, not just any wallpaper though, only what they say you can have.

Col.

Quote Originally Posted by ColR1948 View Post
    I still have my W7 disk but I can't use it anymore as I've used it too many times on other machines so I couldn't register it again and couldn't afford to buy it again, so my only option was the free upgrade.

Col.
    Did you try calling the product activation number to activate? If it was a retail version, as opposed to an OEM one, they should be able to reset the product activation counter for you. Some people have also had luck resetting the OEM editions too, though these are meant to be tied to the first motherboard they are installed on.

Col,
    I'm 3 miles NW of Ibsley. It closed in 1947 & remember being on the top deck of a bus with my twin bro. going to Bournemouth & going past when aircraft were moving on the taxiway. I remember huge black yellow tipped spinning props & out-stretched wings with camo & roundels. We were hooked.
    FS9 didn't have an Ibsley so I made mine. Steveo from Airfield Constructors Group made & sent me a tutorial using Sbuilder & Ade9 so I got on with it! I've made 40 or so.
    What gets me about GW3 is the green grass............................

@loki, I didn't phone I used the online thing, gave my number then I got the message saying it couldn't be activated as it had already been used.
    That was true in all honesty, I had used it on a few laptops plus a couple of my old desktop PC's and on my daughter's laptop.
    I found what I though was a way round it but that failed too lol, then after I did the upgrade I accidentally formatted my other HD that was in the PC deleting all my saved aircraft and other FS stuff, I was gutted, I nearly gave up on FS.

I also found I could have repaired the crashed HD but it was too late I had already upgraded to W10 and got FS running again, I didn't feel like going through it all again, on hindsight maybe I should have.

@gypseymoth, You say it closed in 1947 and you remember seeing aircraft there, so you must be a few years older than me, I was born in 1948 hence my sig ColR1948.

Col.

Col.

Col,

Aug, 1942......so far as well as can be expected, which is what said to patients relatives when pressed !

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by jgf View Post
    In W10 you can delay auto-updates but not disable them. And not only does W10 update its own files, it will update anything on your system - vid drivers, print drivers, even entire programs - without your knowledge, much less approval. That is a dealbreaker for me (how often have you intentionally used an older driver or program for a specific reason?). It seems each new version of windoze removes more and more user options; W11 may allow us to select wallpaper.

And it seems a particular W10 update has caused havoc with many games. All told, I'll stick with W7; I will probably expire before it does.
    In 10 you should be able to turn off updates via services and group policy. Though, I'm not sure if that'll work and 10 renables that crap again without your permission. There's another way where you can use a nettop and Pfsense firewall and just block all of Microsoft's ASNs. Need M$ for something and just use a VPN to punch through.

As far as the driver update crap behind your back. Read this: https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/d...-on-windows-10
    My forum project. Click me
    OOM errors? Read this.
    Pick an Amazon wish list, help a child out
    From RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the orange glow of a SAM.

Thanks Aaron, funny you came on because it was you who told me about the repair on my HD in the FSX forum which I did and it got me running again, I can't remember the details now but I know in the end I upgraded to W10.

Col.

Quote Originally Posted by CRJ_simpilot View Post
    .... Though, I'm not sure if that'll work and 10 renables that crap again without your permission. ...
    I've been told those settings revert to default each time W10 updates.

And this "feature" is so reprehensible Micro$oft will not even comment -
    https://www.howtogeek.com/243581/win...ithout-asking/

Thanks for the comments, you guys make me feel young (vintage 1953).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast