USAF Douglas C-124 Globemaster II repaints

Hey fellas,

I've just uploaded 10 repaints of the beast - the venerable C-124 (modeled by Jens B Kristensen- JBK) which was the primary transport for the USAF in the 1950s to mid 1960s, before it was replaced by the C-130 and C-141. If you compare it to the C-130 though, it was a monster. Obviously the C-141 was jet powered and more efficient, but the C-124 stood up to it pretty well, wingspan and height wise.

C-124 specs: Span: 174 ft. 1 in. Length: 130 ft. Height: 48 ft. 4 in.

C-130 specs: Span: 132 ft 7 in Length: 97 ft 9 in Height: 38 ft 3 in

C-141 specs: Span: 160 ft 0 in Length: 168 ft 4 in Height: 39 ft 3 in

Here is some info on "Old Shakey":

The Douglas C-124 Globemaster II, was an American heavy-lift cargo aircraft built by the Douglas Aircraft Company. The C-124 was the primary heavy-lift transport for United States Air Force Military Air Transport Service (MATS) during the 1950s and early 1960s, until the Lockheed C-141 Starlifter entered service. It served in MATS-gained, later Military Airlift Command (MAC)-gained, units of the Air Force Reserve and Air National Guard until 1974.

To facilitate cargo handling, the C-124, or "Old Shakey" as it was affectionately known, featured "clamshell" loading doors and hydraulic ramps in the nose and an elevator under the aft fuselage. It was capable of handling such bulky cargo as tanks, field guns, bulldozers and trucks. It could also be converted into a transport capable of carrying 200 fully-equipped soldiers or 127 litter patients and their attendants in its double-decked cabin.

Most C-124s were transferred to the Air Force Reserve and the Air National Guard by 1970, and all were released from active service in mid-1974.

Here are the pics:

1a C-124C.jpg

1b C-124C.jpg

2a C-124 2nd SSS.jpg

2b C-124 2nd SSS.jpg

3a USAF C-124 52 SSS.jpg

3b USAF C-124 52 SSS.jpg

4a USAF C-124 AMC.jpg

4b USAF C-124 AMC.jpg

5a USAF Pacific Division.jpg

5b USAF Pacific Division.jpg

6a USAF 3rd SSS.jpg

6b USAF 3rd SSS.jpg

Continued............

Edited by coronado990

Liking it! The paints are great for that aircraft. I like the history too. Thanks! :pilot:

Senior Rookie Bragware: FSX Gold - Acceleration | HP Omen Obelisk Desktop | Intel Core i7 3.2 Ghz |16GB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 | 1TB HD | 256 GB SSD (Gaming Computer)

REX Worldwide Airports HD

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Love them Ted mate, I like the ones without that black nose, I never knew there was that model out, I always think the black nose one looks a bit catoonish, I don't mean your paints I mean in general.

I presume they are FSX, I have the FS9 model so the paints probably won't work, I'll try when they come on.

Col.

Thanks Jan, Larry, Gerard, Col, and lifejogger. I've wanted to paint this aircraft for a while now and I finally got to do it.

Col, you're spot on. The nose looks very cartoonish. In fact I call it the "Goofy" nose, of Disney fame! The ones without the Goofy nose were the C-124As. They were the initial model. The black nosed ones were the C-124Cs. They came out later on. Actually, some C-124As were converted to black nose models as well.

Peer, I definitely know the C-74. I am not going to do any painting of it now, as I have some other planes to paint. Hopefully, I could do it sometime in the future.

Edited by coronado990

****There was a bit of a problem with the uploaded pics. Tried to fix it but wasn't successful.

Col,

You said you use FS2004 and can't get the paints to work on your platform.

Well, there is a small, but neat program called DXTBmp. You might have heard of it. It can convert dds files to bmp files easily.

Here is the link of the program:

https://www.mwgfx.co.uk/programs/dxtbmp.htm

The download link is at the bottom of the page.

Here is a very simple explanation of how to convert the DDS files to BMPs.

1) Open the image with DXTBmp. You can see in the pic the DDS file is upside down. Now, on the 'Image' option at the top (number 1) click it and the choose the 'FLIP IMAGE' option (Number 2). This will then show the image the right way up.

2) You can see that the image is upright. Now, click on the 'FILE' option at the top (Number 3).The drop down options will show. Choose 'SAVE AS'. Another window will show up next to it. Now you choose the 'EXTENDED BITMAP' option (Number 4).

2 choose extended BMP option.jpg

3) Finally, after choosing the 'EXTENDED BITMAP' option, a box will show up. Here you choose what file type you want to convert the image. As you can see in the pic, it shows the DXT3 option, which I assume is the best one for FS2004. Chose this option, and save as BMP (Number 5). That's it. Easy.

3 Save file.jpg.

One more thing, be aware that the Alpha channel need to be flipped as it is a dds file too. The alpha channel is in a box at the top right of the DXTBmp window. To flip it, choose the "ALPHA' option at the top, and in the drop down menu choose 'FLIP ALPHA" and flip it like you flipped the normal texture file. Then follow steps 3 to 5 for the ALPHA channel just like the texture file, and save it as a DXT3 BMP file.

In this case my ALPHA channel for the C-124 is one color. You don't need to flip it. Only, if you see an ALPHA channel with various shades, you'd need to flip that, of course.

Convert all DDS files to BMP files this way.

Good luck.

1 Flip image.jpg

1 Flip image.jpg

Edited by coronado990

Thanks Ted, Yes I have DTXbmp, I have sometimes done a convert and it was probably my mistake but there were times when it worked for me and others not.

I have also sent the image to the editor and again had success and failure, but like i say probably me not doing something, I'll keep your tutorial above for reference, cheers mate.

I haven't got your paints yet so will give it a go when they come on.

I do have FSX but at the moment I'm using FS9 because I converted it to retro 60's mode as you know but, my FSX now takes forever to load as well, plus for some reason it pauses all by itself, probably catching up I don't know, I don't get that in FS9 (Yet) lol.

Col

Edited by ColR1948

Think I used that freeware -- very useful -- even for FS2002. After that, like usual, that's also a question of trying :):)
Gérard Guichard, Dijon, Burgundy, France. i5 Intel processor, 4 Go of Ram, Nvidia GeForce 920MX, DirectX 12.0, and FSX Gold Edition with SP1, SP2. My personal flightsim website is at http://flightlessons.6te.net