Upgrade Win7 to Win10

Woodpecker1214388

First of all thanks to all for replies re I.Ex. lost not yet sorted.

As Win7 is or will not be supported by MS I may upgrade to Win10 regretfully.

Should I do a full backup of data or just do an update with a fresh FSX installation.

What do you recommend.

Also can Win10 Desktop be made to look like Win7 for me a more pleasant and logical display compared to Win10 I notice

Yes Win10 can be made to look like Win7 I did it on a laptop.

As for upgrading to Win10 I had to do it on my main PC because I couldn't afford another Win7, the only option was to upgrade, I myself don't like Win10 and much prefer Win7.

They say this new FS coming out will only run on Win10 so if that is what you are aiming at then Win10 is your only option unless you buy another PC or run a duel boot system.

Col.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, there are quite a few freeware Start Menu replacements out there, as that is the main difference.

It is pretty much essential to upgrade to Windows 10, for security reasons.

Also, later model PC's will have hardware optimised for Windows 10, such as drivers, memory control & such like. The fact that Windows 7 is now obsolete speaks for itself.

When I updated from Windows 7 to Windows 10, I just did a Windows 10 upgrade, nothing was lost or adversely affected. I did upgrades from Windows 7 & Windows 8 to Windows to Windows 10 without any issues at all.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

...They say this new FS coming out will only run on Win10 so if that is what you are aiming at then Win10 is your only option unless you buy another PC or run a duel boot system.

Col.

That's the way I went. I got Win 7 and games on one NVMe carrier and Win 10 and games on another NVMe carrier. Takes about 30 seconds to open the case remove one thumbscrew and swap in the 2nd carrier.

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

@dogdish, forgive my ignorance if I got this wrong but instead of undoing and swapping the carrier, would it not be faster to have one of them in an external and plug it it that way?

I have a couple of external drive caddies that I sometimes use, they plug in via USB, having said that if one of your sims has lots of extra addons maybe the USB might not be fast enough I don't know.

Col.

The NVMe adapters plug directly into the PCIe slots and run directly through the CPU @ 3.5 GigaBYTES /s.

My computer only has USB Gen 3.0, about 5 GigaBITS /s.

USB Gen 3.2 runs @ 20 GigaBITS /s. About 1/2 the speed of NVMe.

My case has a swing open door and I replaced the adapter screw with a knurled thumbscrew. Works for me.

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

@dogdish,

So again forgive my ignorance, if I read your post correct, does that mean you have Win7 on one HD and Win10 on another and when you want Win7 you just unplug Win10 and plug in Win7?

If that is correct then this would solve a lot of people's worries about upgrading, have I got that right?

Col.

Not HD drives, but instead NVMe drives. No power or data cables to plug or unplug. Have two of these...

Ableconn PEXM2-130.jpg

On (C:\) WD SN750 250gb, Windows 7 x64 Ultimate and (D:\) WD SN750 1Tb, FSX (and all other games).

On the second adapter have (C:\) WD SN 750 250Gb, Windows 10 Pro. Waiting until FS2020 comes out and prices to drop more on a (D:\) WD SN750 2Tb drive.

After experiencing the speed and convenience of this quick swap setup, can't go back to HDD's.

Wow! I must be honest I didn't know these existed, so enlighten me, these NVMe drives, are they in different sizes like a HD for storage?

If I had an NVMe drive fitted, could I install Windows on it plus other programs, have I got this right?

Col.

Hi Col,

NVMe drives are just another design type of physical fixed data storage media. First there was Hard Drives (HDD), then Solid State Drives (SSD) and now there is Non-Volatile Memory Express drives (NVMe).

The same progress has essentially been followed by removal storaage media - 5 1/2 inch floppy disc, 3 1/2 floppy disk, CD/DVD and now USB pen drives.

See HERE and HERE for basic, easy to understand info on the NVMe format

Regards

Brian

Currently drive sizes are available in 250Gb, 500Gb, 1Tb and 2Tb.

Cheapest NVMe drives I've see are Pioneer which I think are made by Crucial.

Depending on your motherboard...

You might have M.2 NVMe socket(s) on board and can boot directly from them.

If not you can get a $25.00 adapter to plug into a open PCIe slot (x4). Some motherboards in this case will not be able to boot from it and only be able to use as a data drive.

My motherboard had a M.2 slot but only runs at SATA Express speed (About 833Mb /s). The adapters allow the NVMe drives to run at 3.5Gb /s.

After more research on this, rather than buy a new motherboard and go through the building of another PC, I will go the route you took and get an adapter for the NVME.

I know I will lose a bit of speed but for what I'm doing it won't matter that much.

I was hoping to make it a boot drive and I saw on YT it is important to unplug any other drives on the PC before installing the NVME.

Then go in the BIOS and make the necessary adjustments to tell the PC to select it as the boot drive, I will then use my other drives as storage which some are already.

Col.

As long as the NVMe drive runs through the PCIe slots (PCIe 3.0), it will be just as fast as any motherboard with it. Exception being the newer AMD PCIe 4.0 boards.

EDIT> Also if you clone your HDD to the NVMe drive, you won't have to reinstall the O/S or FSX. Guess your grandson can help you with that.

BTW, Windows 7 does NOT natively support NVMe drives.

Simply get this update KB2990941, install it, and the NVMe's will be recognized.

Microsoft posted it, then took it down (Obviously to force upgrade to Win 10)

I found it here...

https://www.win-raid.com/t29f25-Recommended-AHCI-RAID-and-NVMe-Drivers.html

I installed the Microsoft KB2990941 and nothing else it it works fine.

Edited by dogdish

I looked at the BIOS updates for your motherboard. Don't see any mention of NVMe support and you don't have a M.2 slot. Doubtful you will be able to boot a O/S from it.

However it might work in a PCIe slot with a adapter as a data drive.

If it's just a data drive then I'm not that interested, it looks like a new motherboard which will be more money, I was hoping to use it as a boot drive.

I'll have to wait a while anyway to get my funds sorted, but thanks for the info, you saved me a lot of trouble.

Col.

I just upgraded another PC with NVMe. This time a older Gigabyte X79 Assassin 2.

Put a single x4 PCIe adapter and NVMe drive into it.

It was NOT recognized in the BIOS as expected being older hardware. O/S booting was out of the question.

Was not able to partition or format the drive because it did not show up in System Management.

In the System Devices, a yellow question mark came up as "PCI adapter" (or something to that effect.)

I then installed the Microsoft KB2990941 update.

The yellow question mark changed into a "NVMe" adapter (or something to that effect.) and was able to partition and format the drive which now works fine as a data drive.

I think this is probably what you could expect.

Ah thanks, I told my Grandson what you said about it possibly not being able to boot from it, he used an adapter on his and he was able to boot from the NVME no problem, but reading your above post maybe he did something like that, I saw something on YouTube about getting the PC to recognise the NVME as well.

Col.

One other possibility is your motherboard has a GIGABYTE UEFI DualBIOS. If the drives are partitioned as GPT and not MBR, I think it might be bootable through the Windows Boot Manager. It will show up in the UEFI (BIOS) as a boot option along with the other drives in your system.

You don't have to go into all this complication unless you really want to.

I'm not computer literate, but I upgraded my Win 7 desktop to Win 10 without the slightest problem and free of charge too.

My FSX and all its add-on's survived the process and works normally.

Having had a couple of weeks to get used to it, I now like Win 10 so much that I've upgraded my laptop from Win 8.1 to Win 10, again free of charge.

The motto is: Be bold, take the plunge, but back up just in case! :)