Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade Win7 to Win10

Default Upgrade Win7 to Win10

First of all thanks to all for replies re I.Ex. lost not yet sorted.

As Win7 is or will not be supported by MS I may upgrade to Win10 regretfully.
    Should I do a full backup of data or just do an update with a fresh FSX installation.
    What do you recommend.

Also can Win10 Desktop be made to look like Win7 for me a more pleasant and logical display compared to Win10 I notice

Yes Win10 can be made to look like Win7 I did it on a laptop.

As for upgrading to Win10 I had to do it on my main PC because I couldn't afford another Win7, the only option was to upgrade, I myself don't like Win10 and much prefer Win7.
    They say this new FS coming out will only run on Win10 so if that is what you are aiming at then Win10 is your only option unless you buy another PC or run a duel boot system.

Col.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Woodpecker1214388 View Post
    First of all thanks to all for replies re I.Ex. lost not yet sorted.

As Win7 is or will not be supported by MS I may upgrade to Win10 regretfully.
    Should I do a full backup of data or just do an update with a fresh FSX installation.
    What do you recommend.

Also can Win10 Desktop be made to look like Win7 for me a more pleasant and logical display compared to Win10 I notice
    All i can do is find these and hope they will help you upgrade Windows.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/...10-upgrade-faq
    https://www.windows10passwordreset.c...indows-10.html

Just stay with W7 until you HAVE to 'upgrade'.
    Unless you need to use a program now that requires it, why 'upgrade'?

Unsupported? I havent had 'updates' on for 4-5 years now. Works like a charm.

Yes, there are quite a few freeware Start Menu replacements out there, as that is the main difference.

It is pretty much essential to upgrade to Windows 10, for security reasons.
    Also, later model PC's will have hardware optimised for Windows 10, such as drivers, memory control & such like. The fact that Windows 7 is now obsolete speaks for itself.

When I updated from Windows 7 to Windows 10, I just did a Windows 10 upgrade, nothing was lost or adversely affected. I did upgrades from Windows 7 & Windows 8 to Windows to Windows 10 without any issues at all.
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

Quote Originally Posted by zswobbie1 View Post

It is pretty much essential to upgrade to Windows 10, for security reasons.

You sell snake oil as well?

Quote Originally Posted by zswobbie1 View Post
    The fact that Windows 7 is now obsolete speaks for itself.
    It is? How much faster does it open Word? I could save precious milliseconds moving on from my 'obsolete' W7. Maybe I need to 'upgrade' to this magical OS...

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ColR1948 View Post
    ...They say this new FS coming out will only run on Win10 so if that is what you are aiming at then Win10 is your only option unless you buy another PC or run a duel boot system.
    Col.
    That's the way I went. I got Win 7 and games on one NVMe carrier and Win 10 and games on another NVMe carrier. Takes about 30 seconds to open the case remove one thumbscrew and swap in the 2nd carrier.
    Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64gb 2666, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 NVMe 250Gb and 1Tb, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Logitech M570/K800 Wireless Trackball/Keyboard, Windows 7 64 Ultimate/10 Pro

@dogdish, forgive my ignorance if I got this wrong but instead of undoing and swapping the carrier, would it not be faster to have one of them in an external and plug it it that way?

I have a couple of external drive caddies that I sometimes use, they plug in via USB, having said that if one of your sims has lots of extra addons maybe the USB might not be fast enough I don't know.

Col.

10. Default

The NVMe adapters plug directly into the PCIe slots and run directly through the CPU @ 3.5 GigaBYTES /s.

My computer only has USB Gen 3.0, about 5 GigaBITS /s.

USB Gen 3.2 runs @ 20 GigaBITS /s. About 1/2 the speed of NVMe.

My case has a swing open door and I replaced the adapter screw with a knurled thumbscrew. Works for me.
    Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64gb 2666, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 NVMe 250Gb and 1Tb, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Logitech M570/K800 Wireless Trackball/Keyboard, Windows 7 64 Ultimate/10 Pro

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast