How to Modify (remove un-needed gauge labels) from an exist panel background

Downwind66

Hi all! Not very familiar with modifying 8 bit .bmp files. I want to remove some un-necessary labels from an existing panel. Someone suggested that I convert to a different size display, 24 bit, make my changes, and then go back and resave to the original 8 bit image?

Tried that with no luck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Rick :cool:

Edited by Downwind66

Here's what worked for me, not saying it is the correct way or that it will work for you, but, here it is:

1) original bmp file was in 8 bit format. I copied and saved it to my desktop.

2) I resaved the original to 24 bit format, and then opened and used MSPaint to make my changes.

3) Once changes were made, all looked satisfactory, I file saved it, again, in 24 bit format.

4) All is good for me, and I am happy. Mission accomplished!

Again, there might be a better way, so you be the judge and do what's best for your application! :rolleyes:

FTR, 24bit images have a color palette of >16 million colors, 8bit images have 256.

When you converted to 8bit a lot of near-black pixels were converted to pure black, 0,0,0 RGB.

FS treats pure black pixels on 2D panel bitmaps as transparent, basically so you can see out the window.

24bit images work OK as panel bitmaps.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

• 2 weeks later...

Bean - Sorry, I didn't see your post sooner! Yes, I ended up going with the 24 bit, as it worked then and continues to work. I don't know that much about paints, bits etc, but I accomplished what I set out to do!

Thanks for responding, though, like I said, wished I had seen your post sooner!