Fsxx

Jim Hall

A Geek Squad guy came to my house recently and found my cockpit instruments and revealed that he was a FSX simmer too though recently inactive. He told me that Microsoft abandoned FS because the “pilots” who flew the jets into the twin towers learned how to fly using the Microsoft simulator with only minimal real time training. If so, what a shame. I can’t imagine the improvements that would have come with FSXX. Is this the explanation for the aging current patchwork packages we have now?
i7-7700k @ 4.2 Ghz, 16 GB DDR4/3000,2280 SSD M.2,Genome II Case,Nvidia GTX 1080 rear exhaust, Samsung 40" HDTV & Two 24" HP side monitors. Redbird Alloy yoke, pedals, and throttle. A single Saitek Instrument Panel and Cessna trim wheel. Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 speakers. Windows 10 64 bit. 58 measured Mbps.

I'm with Jorgen, "No & No, Just No" It was a bad move for sure for MS to end development by the aces team to finish and improve on what they began. But 3rd Party Devs both Free and Payware have done a brilliant job making FSX an amazing yet unfinished work, made all the better for their dedicated efforts.

What patchwork packages? do you mean.

Jim, false news.. 911 happened on September 11, 2001.

In 2009 Microsoft closed down Aces Game Studio, which was the department responsible for creating

and maintaining the flight simulator series for economical reasons. 8 years later!!!

As part of a move that cut 5,000 jobs at Microsoft, Aces Game Studio was closed on January 22, 2009.

So, your Geek Squad guy needs to check his facts.

What is FSXX? We all know FSX, & FSX:SE ( all FSX development is now frozen) & the new forthcoming sim is called Microsoft Flight Simulator aka MSFS due sometime next year. (is FSXX another statement by your Geek Guy?)

Edited by zswobbie1

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Apologies for a clumsy thread too quickly written. Thank you all for your considered responses. I look forward to the new MSFS.
i7-7700k @ 4.2 Ghz, 16 GB DDR4/3000,2280 SSD M.2,Genome II Case,Nvidia GTX 1080 rear exhaust, Samsung 40" HDTV & Two 24" HP side monitors. Redbird Alloy yoke, pedals, and throttle. A single Saitek Instrument Panel and Cessna trim wheel. Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 speakers. Windows 10 64 bit. 58 measured Mbps.

Three versions of Flightsim came out after 9/11, if it had been used as a tool that wouldn't have happened. Remember that it isn't so real that it could be used as a tool for that level of training.

Spent way too much time using these sims...

FS 5.1, FS-98, FS-2000, FS-2002, FS-2004, FSX, Flight, FSW, P3Dv3, P3Dv4, MSFS

Not interested in the new sim until it's actually there, but I must confess: FSXX isn't a bad acronym.

Wim

Yes, but FSXX would read as FS1010, FSXX/XX - FS20/20 or FSMMXX - FS2020. Maybe 2020 hindsight is why MS are getting back into Flight Sim.

Edited by jethrom

A Geek Squad guy came to my house recently and found my cockpit instruments and revealed that he was a FSX simmer too though recently inactive. He told me that Microsoft abandoned FS because the “pilots” who flew the jets into the twin towers learned how to fly using the Microsoft simulator with only minimal real time training. If so, what a shame. I can’t imagine the improvements that would have come with FSXX. Is this the explanation for the aging current patchwork packages we have now?

FS 2002 was released just after the attacks. Microsoft removed the Twin Towers just before release to not offend.

The article below will answer your original question as well:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2001/09/17/world_trade_centre/

Mark Daniels

No, in Roman numbers, XX is not read as 1010, but as "20" and that is spot on, since the game will be most likely released in 2020. Well, if we don't consider the reality, that most of SW developers name their products according to the next year, not current (stupid marketing action). It didn't get to my mind until the point that it's a good name for the game, but it is really not bad, makes a lot of sense. Edited by OakLD

Thanks for the article, Mark. It and the comments above answer my original question and reveal the loyalty of the user base to FSX and to each other. Do you think the new Microsoft FS will be amiable to existing and future popular add-on's? The supreme and unstoppable demand by the market can be summarized in two words:"More Realism". Closely coupled with that is "easy to install and easy to use". A big untapped part of the potential market for flight simulators are the thousands of potential buyers/users who are afraid of the complexities of purchasing controls, calibrating them, obtaining maintenance for them when they break, balancing frame rates/realism, add-on's, and well, just look at all the threads for these various forums. Hopefully, MS is aware of these obstacles and will jump into the controllers market as well as the rest. A "plug-and-play" cockpit-software combination with annual affordable maintenance contracts that will provide remote solutions for problems and add-on's. The majority of users just want to fly and have no interest in the vehicles that provide for that nor the desire to expend their limited allotted flying time having to learn how to make it all work.

You forgot FSXI (FS11).

FSXX reads as FS20 btw, I studied Latin for 6 boring years.

Wim

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

No, did not forget the R/N convention. MX=1010, - FS11 "XI" does not exist! (Yet!) Nor do FS versions 12.0, 13.0, 14.0, 15.0, 16.0, 17.0, 18.0, 19.0, or 20.0, ( XII, XIII, XIV, XV, XVI, XVII, XVIII, XIX, XX, respectively).

FS9 / FS9.1 exists, that would be "FSIX" or "FSIX.1".

FS10 is FSX, the tenth FS version so "FSX" R/N "X" is logically FS10, illogically "FSXX "X" 10 FS10/10, not FS20 - FSXX Version 20 "XX" as the possible year of Release.

Naming Conventions for versions by year as MS FlightSimulator has already tried 95 98 2000 2002 2004 just to add more illogical confusion. FS2020 is no better for naming conventions. It should be logically named FS11.0 / FS-XI or FSXI.

FS20, MFS20, or MFS2020 are non starters, as far as naming Microsoft's latest Release version (still in Alpha).

I suppose that's why they choose for now, to name it generically "Microsoft Flight Simulator" without quoting a logical version ID.

Microsoft Flight Simulator Versions, Steam and P3Dv1x 2x 3x 4x versions not withstanding as true MS titles.

1982 - v FS1.0 - FSI

1984 - v FS2.0 - FSII

1988 - v FS3.0 - FSIII

1989 - v FS4.0 - FSIV

1993 - v FS5.0 - FSV

1995 - v FS5.1 - FSV.I - free upgrade

1996 - v FS 95 - effectively FS6.0 / FSVI

1997 - v FS 98 - effectively FS6.1 / FSVI.I (new product no upgrade path from "95") .1 version

1999 - v FS2000 - effectively FS7.0 - FSVII

2001 - v FS2002 - effectively FS8.0 - FSVIII

2003 - v FS9.0 - effectively FS2004 / FSIX - Otherwise named FS2004 and later FS9.1 / FSIX.I

2006 - v FS10.0 - FSX Version X=TEN Released in 2006

20?? - whatever year it is released, Latest MS Version should be FS11.0 / FSXI

2009 - ACES Closes, FSX is Unsupported & Un-finished

2013 - FSX more or less complete with SteveParsons DX10 fixer and subsequent updates

2014 - DoveTail/Steam Redevelops FSX / FS10 as FSX:SE / FS10:SE (Steam Edition)

I have been Microsoft Flight Simming with all versions since FS3.0, but with so much uncertainty in the FlightSim Genera for the last 11 years it has taken its toll. As pretty as the new sim may be, I won't be buying it / investing evermore time into Flight Sim beyond FSX GoldDeluxe+AccPack DVD. I am a Flight Sim Hobbyist not a RW trainer looking for maximum reality, nor am I interested in Gaming. Otherwise I would get a PPL (Pilots licence) and a Job flying real aircraft over real terrain with real dynamics and interactions, Flight Simulator can never provide Reality, only a simulation of Reality.

Edited by jethrom

Microsoft Flight Simulator or MSFS is probably the best name to call the forthcoming sim, as that is the official name that Microsoft has given it, and not any made up name such as FS2020 and FS20.

Nice to know that you are not interested in gaming, but you are using products from Aces Gaming Studio, that have Games written on the physical boxes that the contained the games.

So, what you have is a game that simulates a simulator, of which, obviously, immersion is the key, not realism, as we are mostly using gaming type controls, maybe 1 or 2 screens, and so on.

Interesting to know that you have decided that you have already decided that you will not be BUYING the new sim that will only be released in a years time, and will probably be the most immersion sim straight out the box. As it is an entertainment product, not for commercial use, it cannot officially be used for training. (that's where P3D comes into the picture).

There has never, in my opinion been uncertainty with flight simming during the last few years. We have seen new releases and updates of existing sims, X-Plane, FSX:SE, Flightgear etc, and both payware and freeware for all sims are still constantly being released.

So, exciting times ahead, for those that will be embracing new software technologies within MSFS. Photogrammetry, Azure, amongst others.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Robin, any guestimate as to the cost of MSFS? $300ish?

20?? - whatever year it is released, Latest MS Version should be FS11.0 / FSXI
What I said...

IIRC FS9 was never used until after FSX/FS10 came out, neither were the other "number" version names.

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet, some obscure English playwright once wrote.

Wim

b727fcaptain.jpgx701captain5.jpg