Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fsxx

Default Fsxx

A Geek Squad guy came to my house recently and found my cockpit instruments and revealed that he was a FSX simmer too though recently inactive. He told me that Microsoft abandoned FS because the “pilots” who flew the jets into the twin towers learned how to fly using the Microsoft simulator with only minimal real time training. If so, what a shame. I can’t imagine the improvements that would have come with FSXX. Is this the explanation for the aging current patchwork packages we have now?
    i7-7700k @ 4.2 Ghz, 16 GB DDR4/3000,2280 SSD M.2,Genome II Case,Nvidia GTX 1080 rear exhaust,Samsung 40" 4K UHD TV & 24" HP side monitor,Saitek pedals, Instrument Panel, trim wheel, CH Eclipse Yoke,FSX Steam,Windows 10 64 bit

No.

Jorgen

3. Default

I'm with Jorgen, "No & No, Just No" It was a bad move for sure for MS to end development by the aces team to finish and improve on what they began. But 3rd Party Devs both Free and Payware have done a brilliant job making FSX an amazing yet unfinished work, made all the better for their dedicated efforts.

What patchwork packages? do you mean.

Jim, false news.. 911 happened on September 11, 2001.

In 2009 Microsoft closed down Aces Game Studio, which was the department responsible for creating
    and maintaining the flight simulator series for economical reasons. 8 years later!!!

As part of a move that cut 5,000 jobs at Microsoft, Aces Game Studio was closed on January 22, 2009.

So, your Geek Squad guy needs to check his facts.

What is FSXX? We all know FSX, & FSX:SE ( all FSX development is now frozen) & the new forthcoming sim is called Microsoft Flight Simulator aka MSFS due sometime next year. (is FSXX another statement by your Geek Guy?)
    Last edited by zswobbie1; 11-11-2019 at 11:26 AM.
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

Apologies for a clumsy thread too quickly written. Thank you all for your considered responses. I look forward to the new MSFS.
    i7-7700k @ 4.2 Ghz, 16 GB DDR4/3000,2280 SSD M.2,Genome II Case,Nvidia GTX 1080 rear exhaust,Samsung 40" 4K UHD TV & 24" HP side monitor,Saitek pedals, Instrument Panel, trim wheel, CH Eclipse Yoke,FSX Steam,Windows 10 64 bit

Quote Originally Posted by zswobbie1 View Post
    What is FSXX?
    Not interested in the new sim until it's actually there, but I must confess: FSXX isn't a bad acronym.

Wim

Three versions of Flightsim came out after 9/11, if it had been used as a tool that wouldn't have happened. Remember that it isn't so real that it could be used as a tool for that level of training.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by f16jockey_2 View Post
    Not interested in the new sim until it's actually there, but I must confess: FSXX isn't a bad acronym.

Wim
    Yes, but FSXX would read as FS1010, FSXX/XX - FS20/20 or FSMMXX - FS2020. Maybe 2020 hindsight is why MS are getting back into Flight Sim.
    Last edited by jethrom; 11-11-2019 at 09:21 PM.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hall View Post
    A Geek Squad guy came to my house recently and found my cockpit instruments and revealed that he was a FSX simmer too though recently inactive. He told me that Microsoft abandoned FS because the “pilots” who flew the jets into the twin towers learned how to fly using the Microsoft simulator with only minimal real time training. If so, what a shame. I can’t imagine the improvements that would have come with FSXX. Is this the explanation for the aging current patchwork packages we have now?
    FS 2002 was released just after the attacks. Microsoft removed the Twin Towers just before release to not offend.
    The article below will answer your original question as well:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2001/0..._trade_centre/
    Mark Daniels

No, in Roman numbers, XX is not read as 1010, but as "20" and that is spot on, since the game will be most likely released in 2020. Well, if we don't consider the reality, that most of SW developers name their products according to the next year, not current (stupid marketing action). It didn't get to my mind until the point that it's a good name for the game, but it is really not bad, makes a lot of sense.
    Last edited by OakLD; 11-12-2019 at 06:56 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast