Carenado TBM-850 Issues

kjrusse

I have downloaded the 2.0 version of the TBM-850 from Carenado. I absolutely love this aircraft and since downloading have rarely flown anything else....but, there are a few opportunities. I've sent a bug report to Carenado and was told my issues would be considered in a future release, but there was no reply on expected date of an updated release.

Here were my main issues.

1. Master Caution light would come on everytime you advanced the power lever, then returned it at or near idle. This was driving me crazy during taxing and landings. I was able to unzip the GAUGETBM850 gauge file, then edit the Gauge_Anum_MASTER_CAUTION.xml and find the piece of code that was causing the issue and comment it out. Master Caution still seems to work for all other things requiring a master caution.

2. FLC or IAS AP climb mode. I love using the FLC, but whenever I set it, it acutally maintains an IAS of about 40 knots over what I select, so if I want to climb out at 140 knots, I should be able to VS at 3000 Ft/Min and let my speed bleed off until it reaches 140 IAS, then click the FLC button and it should continue to climb at 140 IAS, adjusting VS as needed to maintain 140 knots, however if I VS to 3000 ft/min, click FLC at 140 knots IAS, it drops the nose, gains speed and slowly starts to climb again at around 180 knots IAS, so If I want to really climb out at 140 knots IAS, I have to VS to 3000 and let the speed drop to about 120 knots IAS, click FLC, then using the VS adjustment wheel to dial the IAS in the PFD down to about 100-105 knots and it will climb at around 140 knots indicated. I can't seem to find the code for this so if anybody knows where it's at I would much appreciate it.

3. The ITT gauge in the PFD/MFD appear to be reporting temps in Fahrenheit instead of Celsius. I also can't find a gauge file for that so I'm not sure if it's part of the model or the .AIR file or something, again, any help would be appreciated.

That's the things I'm looking for. On another note, I did find a way to setup my MFD with options I prefer such as Heading Up Map Orientation and having the Map Nav Ring on by default. Now I don't have to set those options every time I start a new flight. So if you're wanting to set any of the MFD options to defaults you prefer, I'd glad to help.

Thanks in advance.

-KJ

I forgot my last issue:

4. The cabin pressurization doesn't seem to be able to keep up with the climb of the aircraft. I mostly fly IFR flights so I'm stair stepped up to my cruise altitude, so as soon as I'm advised by ATC to ascend above 15,000 ft, I adjust the cabin pressurization to the altitude I've been assigned. Usually before I reach said altitude, the master caution comes on for cabin pressurization. So I'm looking for some way to adjust the speed with which the pressurization increases to be able to keep up with the climb rate of the TBM.

I don't have the carenado version, but I think 3000 ft/min is way too high for an TBM850.

It may be increasing the speed to try and reach that V/S without ever reaching 3000 ft/minute. And the speed getting too high because of not reaching the climb rate.

Maybe read the manual again closely to see how to use FLCH mode (Flight Level Change mode).

---

The Master caution may be because of adding power while the pitch of the propeller blades is not correct for that kind of power.

Or because of going above Max_RPM or something. Thing like that can break the engine, or break propeller blades.

----

If that Master Caution happens specifically when adding power on take-off you probably have a take-off config warning. Flaps set incorrectly for takeoff for example. (But could be many other things wrong with the take-off configuration.) Again something you would need to read the manual for. Especially the part about Before-takeoff-checklists.

----

regarding your new post. I would think the fix would be to switch pressurization on earlier in the flight. When exactly I don't know, but the manual will probably explain.

--

PS:

And since you brought up pressurization. You said that Master Caution comes on when adding thrust. Could it be that at those moments when you add thrust you start climbing as well?

Because in that case the MC warning could be because of the climbing. ( and not the thrust itself).

(I'm thinking the MC warning when climbing could be because you don't have the pressurization system on and you are starting a climb.)

Edited by il88pp
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thank you for your reply. I use the 3000 ft/min climb knowing that it a little to steep, and it will bleed speed off airspeed to where I can use the FLC as the speed drops to 140. It should then adjust the pitch to maintain the climb at 140 kts, but instead it immediately drops the nose to level or even a few degrees negative. Then pitches back up and maintains as speed roughly 35-40 knots above the chosen IAS displayed in the PFD.

The issue with the master caution was that anytime I would increase power to say 13% torque, such as when taxing, then reduce power, as it dropped below 7% torque the Master Caution would start flashing but there was no error message in the CAS. It would also do this during landing whenever the torque dropped below 7%

I'm not a real pilot so I have no real frame of reference other than how I think things should work. And I do use the manuals and the checklists in the MFD, but I still may be doing something wrong. I'll keep studying and tinkering.

Thanks again for your reply.

-KJ

I also think your initial rate of climb is too high, I can't find the initial rate of climb for the 850 but I did for the 700 which is 2380 ft/min & bearing in mind that the 850's PT6 is limited to 700shp on take-off I would consider that the 850's initial rate of climb would be similar to the 700's.

Thank you for your reply. I'll see if I can explain. I take off in 700 mode with inertial separator and flaps in approach/takeoff position. In the configuration I'm usually climbing out at about 1000 ft/min. Once I gain enough speed I retract the flaps and continue to climb around 1000-1500 ft/min. At around 3000 agl, I will turn off the inertial separator as long as I'm not in heavy rain or icing, and will move thr flap lever to the 850 position at 120% torque. Now i start my longer climbs. I will initiate the climb at 3000 ft/min, which I know is not a sustainable rate, but the object is to bleed off airspeed until it drops the the speed that I want to climb out at...usually 140 knots. I should be able to click the FLC button as the airspeed hits 140, which should then cause the plane to self trim the elevator to maintain the climb at 140 knots. The issue that I'm having is that when I click FLC as the speed drops to 140, it immediately pitches down and runs the speed up to around 170 knots and then trims to maintain that speed. So, if I want to actually climb out at 140 knots, I have to either continue my 3000 fpm climb until my airspeed drops to about 110 knots, or click the FLC at 140 knot, then use the VS wheel to dial the IAS in the PFD to 110. So I guess my whole point is that the FLC climbs out at around 30 knots above the set IAS regardless of what the set IAS is.

I hope that makes sense and thanks again for your reply.

-KJ

According to the pilot's handbook: http://www.tbm.aero/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/PIM_850___E1R11-WEBV3.pdf the initial climb speed should be 110-115 KIAS and the recommended climb speed is 130 KIAS, so your airspeed and climb rate are both too high. The spec sheet in this AOPA article gives the rate of climb as 2,005 fpm: http://www.tbm.aero/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/2012-01-AOPA-Pilot.pdf Edited by tiger1962

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

OK, thank you.

Here's a video of guy doing what I was talking about in a TBM 850 (

watch between 9:10 and 10:25 ) but my original post was more about where I can edit or view the coding for the FLC and the ITT. Edited by kjrusse

• 4 months later...
That's the things I'm looking for. On another note, I did find a way to setup my MFD with options I prefer such as Heading Up Map Orientation and having the Map Nav Ring on by default. Now I don't have to set those options every time I start a new flight. So if you're wanting to set any of the MFD options to defaults you prefer, I'd glad to help.

Thanks in advance.

-KJ

Hi there, I'd like to know what you did to save the settings for the MFD. I found the cab file that has the G1000 xml inside and I extracted it out then edited the MFD settings. However, I don't know how to put the edited file back into the cab. Is this what you did? Any help is appreciated!

I don't know how to put the edited file back into the cab

There's a file in the SDK named cabdir.exe. (In the "SimObject Creation Kit\Cabdir SDK" folder)

Once you've extracted your .cab to a folder of the same name and made your edits, you can just drag/drop that folder on cabdir.exe and it will make a new .cab alongside it.

Be careful if you're doing this right inside the gauges folder because cabdir.exe will overwrite the original .cab and then you won't have a way to revert if you mess something up (short of reinstalling the airplane of course).

I usually do this:

1. extract the .cab to a subfolder of the same name inside the gauges folder

2. rename the original .cab ("fs9gps.cab.orig" for example) (a) to take it out of commission and (b) to store it for backup

3. make my edits, this could go on for days, the gauges will work just fine in the subfolder, there's really no need to re-cab at all

4. if I'm done and I know I'm not going to edit the gauges anymore I'll re-cab with cabdir.exe and delete the folder

If you don't have the SDK because you have FSX Standard or FSX SE (or if you just don't want to go through all the horsesh*t involved with installing the official FSX SDK and the two SPs) you can use the Prepar3D v1.4 SDK.

1. extract the .cab to a subfolder of the same name inside the gauges folder

2. rename the original .cab ("fs9gps.cab.orig" for example) (a) to take it out of commission and (b) to store it for backup

3. make my edits, this could go on for days, the gauges will work just fine in the subfolder, there's really no need to re-cab at all

4. if I'm done and I know I'm not going to edit the gauges anymore I'll re-cab with cabdir.exe and delete the folder

In theory, step 2a isn't needed. If both a CAB and a folder with the same name exist, the folder will take priority.

In practice, I never re-cab. I think the gain, if any, is marginal.

Wim

b727fcaptain.jpgx701captain5.jpg

In theory, step 2a isn't needed. If both a CAB and a folder with the same name exist, the folder will take priority

I am actually aware of that and if I'm not mistaken a subfolder inside the aircraft's panel folder takes priority over a subfolder in the gauges folder too, correct? The problem is (or at least, was) that this prioritizing is broken in P3D and that's what I use. TBH I haven't tried it in P3D v4, maybe it's fixed, this was P3D v3 I had the problem with IIRC.

I don't think there's any gain at all re-cabbing the gauges, in fact I used to un-cab all my gauges in FS9 and on some aircraft I swear I saw an increase in performance, the good ole Ken Mitchel A320 panel specifically.

Remember those days? And the iFDG Airbus line? And then this newfangled team came along and released an airbus they called "Project Airbus"? I'm glad I was a simmer during those times, that was right in the middle of the FS9 freeware boom, good times to be a flight simmer! :)

Sorry, but I was wondering about a few more things. I also get the Master Warning a lot when I increase the power, sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't. Not sure where to fix this.

Also, The VS/SPD/FLC wheel in the autopilot panel is reversed. Spinning the mouse wheel up or clicking at the top or "DN" position actually increases the VS or SPD setting instead of decreasing. The same is true for the bottom or "UP" position. Spinning or clicking decreases the numbers, the opposite of what's expected.

Has anyone adjusted these? I looked through the xml and found where the button and wheel actions are but I have no idea what coding controls which functions and where I would reverse the increments. It's more annoying than anything but I keep starting in the wrong direction out of what's expected.

I don't have the TBM but are you saying if you roll the mousewheel away from you the VS increases? It should decrease when you roll it away from you (forward, like you were rolling the nose of the airplane downward) and increase when you pull it towards you (rolling the nose up). That's what I would consider correct anyway but either way you can easily reverse it. I recently fixed this problem on the CRJ-700 autopilot. The solution was True, see below:

DownArrow

<br />
                        	1 (>K:AP_VS_VAR_DEC)<br />
                        	(G:Var5, number)<br />
                        	10 - s0<br />
                        	0 <<br />
                        	if{ 30 } els{ l0 }<br />
                        	(>G:Var5, number)<br />

True
                       [color="#FF0000"][b]True[/b][/color]

UpArrow

<br />
                        	1 (>K:AP_VS_VAR_INC)<br />
                        	10 + s0<br />
                        	30 ><br />
                        	if{ 0 (>G:Var5) } els{ l0 }<br />

True

TOOLTIPTEXT_AUTOPILOT_VSI_INDICATOR_FTMIN
TOOLTIPTEXT_AUTOPILOT_VSI_INDICATOR_MS

Hi there, I'd like to know what you did to save the settings for the MFD. I found the cab file that has the G1000 xml inside and I extracted it out then edited the MFD settings. However, I don't know how to put the edited file back into the cab. Is this what you did? Any help is appreciated!

maggit, you can use the SDK\SimObject Creation Kit\Cabdir SDK\Cabdir.exe utility to recreate the .CAB file. Make sure to backup your original before overwriting.

I don't have the TBM but are you saying if you roll the mousewheel away from you the VS increases? It should decrease when you roll it away from you (forward, like you were rolling the nose of the airplane downward) and increase when you pull it towards you (rolling the nose up). That's what I would consider correct anyway but either way you can easily reverse it. I recently fixed this problem on the CRJ-700 autopilot. The solution was True, see below:

DownArrow

<br />
                        	1 (>K:AP_VS_VAR_DEC)<br />
                        	10 - s0<br />
                        	0 <<br />
                        	if{ 30 } els{ l0 }<br />

True

UpArrow

<br />
                        	1 (>K:AP_VS_VAR_INC)<br />
                        	10 + s0<br />
                        	30 ><br />
                        	if{ 0 (>G:Var5) } els{ l0 }<br />

True

TOOLTIPTEXT_AUTOPILOT_VSI_INDICATOR_MS

Awesome, thanks. The problem with 2.1 of the TBM is it seems to have changed to a mouse click instead of a WheelUp or down command. the top and bottom of the wheel has a click spot and those work correctly but rolling the mouse wheel behaves as Windows expects, I suppose since it's a click spot and not the Wheel code as in what you put above. this code is very confusing.

I'll keep playing with it but thanks for the help.

maggit, you can use the SDK\SimObject Creation Kit\Cabdir SDK\Cabdir.exe utility to recreate the .CAB file. Make sure to backup your original before overwriting.

Got it, thank you.

Also, how did you fix the master caution light? I'm seeing the same problem with the Master Warning. it comes on every time i increase the power.