What might be a Valid Attachment file type on forum posts

jethrom

Hello forum Mods,

I am trying to attach a .docx to a forum post with virtual-ink markups and edits, its an edited/dissected FSX.cfg, edited in MSword with additional formatting (V/ink). I am using MS Office suite 2007 Home/Student "Inking function" on the MSWord Review tab.

The Advanced Posting edit pane offers "Attachment" but will not accept the attached .docx as valid. I then Published/saved the Document as a PDF and tried the same attachment only as PDF "no joy", tried both "add button" and "drag/drop" function Upload from my PC, both file types return invalid and will not attach.

Would you kind gentlemen have any information as to which file types are valid for post attachment, or are Attachments restricted to Pictures (.bmp .jpg .png or plain .txt files) are .cfg files valid attachments.

Kind Regards Jethro

Edited by jethrom

Ok I think I've found my answer in this Thread : or maybe not https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?304699-Why-cant-I-attach-a-zipfile-I-see-others-that-can&highlight=attachments Last post in the thread points to the "blue ?" top right, where file types and sizes can be found. It appears that I can upload it in a .Zip format.

We'll see if my 700kb zip file uploads as attachment.

Edit : "It appears not" .zip files of any size not valid either. Only .gif .Jpeg .Jpg .png - 488kb & .txt - 20kb

Edited by jethrom

Thanks zippy,

I tried .zip and .doc (sounds like I'm consulting 2 of the seven dwarfs) filesize stated is 488.3kb but mine is 700kb maybe oversize, but could be my browser IE11 in win7, I'll try chrome or firefox to see if makes any difference.

EDIT: Tried with FF and Chrome "Test file" 32kb .doc "still no joy" I give up!

Edited by jethrom

You can upload any file type that is in a FOLDER as a zip file. You have to SAVE the zipped FOLDER file(s) (readme, jpg, id_diz) somewhere (desktop is ok). Then upload the ZIP to the FSCom library. It will be listed as a downloadable file for anyone that wants it. That simple.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

The forum administrator sets the types of file attachments allowed and their sizes. My first inclination reading the title was that you needed to zip the file. But now it's too large. What you can try now is to use 7Z and use the 7Z compression with an SFX archive then zip that SFX archive and try uploading here. The ultra compression method of a SFX 7Z archive me get that file compressed enough to zip that and the board may take it.

The other option is to use a file uploader like Google, Microsoft, Box, Mega, Dropbox, etc. Or this. https://uploadfiles.io/

There are other ways too. If the forum doesn't check for the correct mime type you can rename the word doc to a jpg and upload that and have the downloader rename it to a docx.

Or you could open the docx file in Notepad ++ and paste the code here and that person would copy all of that, paste in Notepad++ and rename it a docx file.

I have a hacker software that will turn files, exe's, etc into text to slip past firewalls that would work, but it looks like malware to many anti-virus programs which is just a false positive.

Thankyou Chuck & CRJ & Zippy,

I appreciate your thoughts on the matter, Some food for thought for sure, I will try those methods. Uploading to DB, GD, or MS OD then link to the file does seem like the only option left, as all similar attempts of compression .Zip .7Zip of accepted size files register as invalid.

If the OP in the other thread returns for more suggestions on his stuttering and poor graphics issue I may need to upload and link to my marked Vink .docx file.

How do I convert a DOCX file to PDF on my laptop?

Steps

Open the Microsoft Word document. Double-click the Word document to open it in Microsoft Word. ...

Click File. It's in the top-left corner of the Word window. ...

Click Export. This option is in the left-hand column of options. ...

Click Create PDF/XPS Document. ...

Click Create PDF/XPS. ...

Select a save location. ...

Click Publish.

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Thanks Chuck, :D:):cool:

There are 2 ways to skin this cat, (docx to pdf or xps), my method is similar to yours. but... There is no Import/Export function in OfficeSuite2007 / MSWord2007.

Double click on the .docx file to open in MSword

Open left side menu (Office Suite2007)

Select > Save As

Select > PDF or XPS (filetype PDF)

Keep or change Filename

Click > Publish to create PDF