How to start FSX Steam from a batch file?

nrios

These examples are for Disk version of FSX in a standard install location.

Use your own install paths instead.

Don't forget the "quotes" around the paths.

A batch file that only starts FSX:

@echo off
cd "C:\Program Files (x68)\Microsoft Flight Simulator X"
start fsx.exe

exit

And one that starts both FSX and FSRealWX-Lite:

@echo off
start fsx.exe

cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\FSrealWX"
start FSrealWX.exe

exit

Enjoy!

il.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

These examples are for Disk version of FSX in a standard install location.

A batch file that only starts FSX:

@echo off
start fsx.exe

exit

And one that starts both FSX and FSRealWX-Lite:

@echo off
start fsx.exe

cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\FSrealWX"
start FSrealWX.exe

exit

Enjoy!

il.

Thanks. But the question was for the Steam edition.

Btw, an alternative to your solution is to launch it from EXE.XML.

OK, then, how about:

@echo off

D:

cd \steam\steamapps\common\FSX

FSX

exit

Please note, the two lines that read

D:

cd \steam\steamapps\common\FSX

Are dependant on where YOUR FSX.exe file is located. Is it on your F: drive? Change the first line I referenced to F: .

The line cd \steam\steamapps\common\FSX is dependant on the actual location under the main drive letter you designated. MINE is where shown, on my D: drive.

I don't know if the batch file commands have changed since I used them in DOS so much, but I never needed the quotes around the cd \ line. If they've changed now to require them, well then, put them in as shown in post #6.

Also, in the line that reads "start FSX" : I never used the start command. I just put in the EXE file I wanted to run. As long as it was in the subdirectory I specified in the "cd " line, it ran. It' as though YOU typed in all the commands, but they run automatically when in a batch file (*.bat). If they've changed it to require the "start" command, then use it. It's a simple change :)

All you have to do is tell the computer exactly where the FSX.exe file is located, that's the key.

Finally, to autostart FSRealWX lite, I use the EXE.xml file that FSX utilizes. Just easier for me, is all. You can use the same batch file to call the FSRealWX lite exe file if you want. Same rules apply as with starting FSX.

Simple, No?

I meant to mention: If your Steam client doesn't load when you start Windows, which you can set it to do, then just use the batch file to fire it up before you start FSX itself.

Mine starts with Windoze, so that I can fire FSX up more quickly and easily. I don't have to wait for it to start. I'm just lazy, is all. :D

There is a very good guide to batch file located HERE

Good luck to you!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

I know, that's why I said:

These examples ....

Huh?

I know about the EXE.xml file. But what you asked for was a Batch file remember...:D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Huh?

I know about the EXE.xml file. But what you asked for was a Batch file remember...

I figgered, I was just offering a possible alternative (wow! two big words in a row, and at this time of day!) to using a batch file.

Nothing wrong with alternatives to a single way of doing something :)

Have fun!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Pat, when I said:

Huh?

I know about the EXE.xml file. But what you asked for was a Batch file remember...:D

It was said in response to nrios saying:

I wasn't responding to your post Pat.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

OH!

OOOOps.... :eek:

Sorry bout that. Nice to see I'm still wide awake and firing on all 8. Or is that all 4?

Heck. Anywho, off for more coffee. Obviously I'm in desperate need of it. :confused:

Sorry again, il.

Have fun, even with my errors inserted now and then!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Batch file "example.bat" containing this single line does not work.

steam://rungameid/314160

Try this line:

Start c:\ "program files (x86)" \steam\steamapps\common\fsx\fsx.exe

Ignore the space between after the \ I had to type it out that way in order to send my answer to the forum.

I know, that's why I said:

You were showing me a batch file that will not work for the *steam* edition. I said the procedure you were showing me also works in the EXE.XML file. But that wasn't my question. My question was about how to start the steam edition of FSX. Thanks anyway.

You will of course have to use Your Own Path

in the batch file. The path that leads

Your own fsx.exe file for steam.

(not the generic path for box edition that I said clearly said I gave as an example.)

Edited by il88pp
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks, but this will not work because it doesn't load the steam client.

You're absolutely correct. You didn't ask about the Steam client, you asked about FSX:SE. My client just fires up when I start my computer. It's always running in the background, so I don't have to wait for it to sart, and then wait for FSX. Since it's already running, all I need to do is start the sim.

Simple enough solution: use the same commands to start the client as you would to start the sim, and throw a PAUSE command in after, so you can continue the batch file execution, starting FSX, after the client is up and running. A simple tap on the ANY key, and away it goes. I use the SPACE bar as the ANY key, so an accidental double strike won't have any detrimental effects.

That's a small joke from the DOS days, BTW. We had a bunch of retired AF pilots as managers where I worked, and for the life of them, when they saw "Strike any key when ready", the result of the pause command in a batch file, their brains would vapor-lock. They'd go looking for me to "fix" it. I finally had my techs put small sticky letters on all the space bars, so they could find the "ANY" key.

Kinda sad, really. College education to break 'em, High School education to fix 'em, as we used to say about pilots in the military.

Ever see a pilot complain that a system doesn't work in the On Full Force switch position? I have. Think about it...:confused:

Problem solved...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ever see a pilot complain that a system doesn't work in the On Full Force switch position? I have.

Thank you for that one Pat, I've saved it with the "ID-10-T error" message for future reference! :p

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64