Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How to start FSX Steam from a batch file?

1. Default

Pat, when I said:
    Quote Originally Posted by il88pp View Post
    Huh?
    I know about the EXE.xml file. But what you asked for was a Batch file remember...
    It was said in response to nrios saying:
    Quote Originally Posted by nrios View Post
    Thanks. But the question was for the Steam edition.

Btw, an alternative to your solution is to launch it from EXE.XML.
    I wasn't responding to your post Pat.

OH!

OOOOps....

Sorry bout that. Nice to see I'm still wide awake and firing on all 8. Or is that all 4?

Heck. Anywho, off for more coffee. Obviously I'm in desperate need of it.

Sorry again, il.
    Have fun, even with my errors inserted now and then!

Pat☺

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!
    Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now

Batch file "example.bat" containing this single line does not work.

steam://rungameid/314160
    Try this line:
    Start c:\ "program files (x86)" \steam\steamapps\common\fsx\fsx.exe
    Ignore the space between after the \ I had to type it out that way in order to send my answer to the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomTweak View Post
    OK, then, how about:

D:
    cd \steam\steamapps\common\FSX

Pat☺
    Thanks, but this will not work because it doesn't load the steam client.

Quote Originally Posted by il88pp View Post
    I know, that's why I said:

I know about the EXE.xml file. But what you asked for was a Batch file remember...
    You were showing me a batch file that will not work for the *steam* edition. I said the procedure you were showing me also works in the EXE.XML file. But that wasn't my question. My question was about how to start the steam edition of FSX. Thanks anyway.

6. Default

You will of course have to use Your Own Path
    in the batch file. The path that leads
    Your own fsx.exe file for steam.

(not the generic path for box edition that I said clearly said I gave as an example.)
    Last edited by il88pp; 11-12-2019 at 06:45 AM.

Thanks, but this will not work because it doesn't load the steam client.
    You're absolutely correct. You didn't ask about the Steam client, you asked about FSX:SE. My client just fires up when I start my computer. It's always running in the background, so I don't have to wait for it to sart, and then wait for FSX. Since it's already running, all I need to do is start the sim.

Simple enough solution: use the same commands to start the client as you would to start the sim, and throw a PAUSE command in after, so you can continue the batch file execution, starting FSX, after the client is up and running. A simple tap on the ANY key, and away it goes. I use the SPACE bar as the ANY key, so an accidental double strike won't have any detrimental effects.
    That's a small joke from the DOS days, BTW. We had a bunch of retired AF pilots as managers where I worked, and for the life of them, when they saw "Strike any key when ready", the result of the pause command in a batch file, their brains would vapor-lock. They'd go looking for me to "fix" it. I finally had my techs put small sticky letters on all the space bars, so they could find the "ANY" key.
    Kinda sad, really. College education to break 'em, High School education to fix 'em, as we used to say about pilots in the military.
    Ever see a pilot complain that a system doesn't work in the On Full Force switch position? I have. Think about it...

Problem solved...
    Pat☺

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!
    Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomTweak View Post
    Ever see a pilot complain that a system doesn't work in the On Full Force switch position? I have.
    Thank you for that one Pat, I've saved it with the "ID-10-T error" message for future reference!
    Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-Z270X-Gaming 7, Intel i5-7600k 3.80GHz OC'd 4.2GHz, NZXT X62 Kraken, 16Gb 3500MHz Ram, 1TB & 2TB Samsung Hybrid SSD's, LG DVDRW, NVidia GTX1050Ti 4Gb, Phanteks Enthoo Pro M case, CH Yoke & Pedals, Asus K272HL 27" Monitor, Windows 7 x64

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2