FS2004 users looking at buying the new MSFS?

Skywatcher12

Many FS2004 users stick with this sim for very specific reasons.

I'm just curious who has used FS2004 for years now but is closely looking at moving to the new sim?

Myself, can't express how NOT appealing it is. I'll be losing many things I already have and enjoy in FS2004 for starters. I'm also not a fan of photo anything as photo anything will always be plagued with issues so the new terrain does little for me. Being a 2D panel freak, the chances are reasonable you won't even have them in the default aircraft in MSFS.

Cost, it's not a deal breaker but despite some discussions elsewhere, cost imo will be higher for MSFS than any other flight sim especially if you like to deck it out with payware. Just take weather for example. MSFS will come with what is realistically nothing more than a fixed Jeppesen. As per past flight sim versions, for historic weather or added weather features you will likely need to look elsewhere.

Is FS2004 perfect? No. I just can't see anything better coming along so I think I'll be sticking with FS2004 for a very long time to come.

Anyone looking to jump the FS2004 ship???

Mark Daniels

I'm just curious who has used FS2004 for years now but is closely looking at moving to the new sim?

Myself, can't express how NOT appealing it is. I'll be losing many things I already have and enjoy in FS2004 for starters. I'm also not a fan of photo anything as photo anything will always be plagued with issues so the new terrain does little for me. Being a 2D panel freak, the chances are reasonable you won't even have them in the default aircraft in MSFS.

Cost, it's not a deal breaker but despite some discussions elsewhere, cost imo will be higher for MSFS than any other flight sim especially if you like to deck it out with payware. Just take weather for example. MSFS will come with what is realistically nothing more than a fixed Jeppesen. As per past flight sim versions, for historic weather or added weather features you will likely need to look elsewhere.

Is FS2004 perfect? No. I just can't see anything better coming along so I think I'll be sticking with FS2004 for a very long time to come.

I'm with you Mark. I'm interested from the videos BUT history has a way of repeating its self. It looks unless you have 500 mb internet minimum with a server room in you house, you wont get all the features shown in the videos.

LETS GO PENS!!!

That's great that FS2004 suits your requirements/needs, but like many, I am extremely excited about the new version.

I use FS2004, FSX and X-Plane, but you can never have too many sims in my opinion.

As an individual who has travelled extensively the past 50 years, and one with a keen interest on geography, I can't wait to explore the world on offer!

W33

X-Plane 11, P3D. 32GB RAM, i7 8700k, 1080Ti, Oculus Rift, 1TB SSD

I'm not switching:

* Pretty happy with fs9.

* Afraid of something new and adjustment period.

* Don't trust Microsoft today to deliver a product that works. Latest Office I have to put up with at work is a POS.

* System requirements include Windows 10. That alone is a deal breaker. I'm stuck with Windows 10 and work and hate it.

Nadlzfw

I might be interested in checking out the comments from folks after the final product is released. I will take a wait and see attitude. I too am a 2D panel fan as I hate virtual cockpits. FS9 works just fine for me. I still have my original FS9 install from when it first came out on an old Win XP HDD. I have a lot of add ons and I backup this HDD on a regular basis. I tried FS9 on Windows 10 and it worked until the Win 10 1903 update. Now it won't load at all. I get an error that my computer has run out of memory. I have a 4TB HDD and only 2.5TB is used. I also have 16GB of RAM. I don't trust any new FS on Windows 10 at this point. Again I'll take a wait and see attitude.

An interesting thread indeed.

So, from the top:

Skywatcher12:

1. The new terrain does nothing for you? You prefer the scenery of FS2004 to what we have seen? (VFR world wide?)

2. Cost? We have no idea at all, speculation only, on what the costs will be.

3. Weather: I'm sure that you must have seen the weather video's, with realistic raindrops, cloud layers, shadows, etc?

4. Jumping FS2004?: No need to jump the ship. You can always have more than one simulator.

W33:

Well said indeed. This is probably the most exciting thing happening to our hobby.

nadlzfw:

Thanks for sharing.

Afraid of something new? Be brave, very brave.

You dont trust Microsoft? (try Linux then).

Obviously the sim is for Windows 10. I'm sure Microsoft will not develop for an obsolete operating system that will shortly be not supported security wise.

bam1220:

Interesting that you dont trust Microsoft with any new sim, can you justify that statement?

I also have the latest Windows 10 update, 1903 build 18362.449, and my 7 different installs of FS2004 work perfectly.

If your sim does not work in Windows 10, have you followed the instructions here?

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?319047-Installing-FS2004-into-Windows-10-amp-Copying-FS2004-from-your-OLD-PC-to-your-NEW-PC

you say that you have 16GB RAM, I have 8GB. I have a Asus laptop, i5 8520u core, 1T hard drive.

FS2004 is a 32bit program, running within a 64bit operating system.

A 32bit program can ONLY address 4GB RAM, including the RAM of you graphics card. So your 16GB RAM is more useful for multitasking!

To help this, have a look at https://ntcore.com/?page_id=371

Download & run the 4GB patch

This very little tool patches x86 executables in order to let them have 4GB (instead of only 2) of virtual memory on x64 platforms. This tool comes very handy for applications which need a great amount of virtual memory like games, 3D renderization, multimedia etc. To gain these 2GB, you just have to use this tool to patch the executable (*.exe file) of the software you want to have these additional GBs of virtual memory. It can be used by clicking on it and choosing the file or through command line (e.g.: “4gb_patch file.exe”). It automatically creates a backup copy of the original executable.

Why things are this way on x64 is easy to explain. On x86 applications have 2GB of virtual memory out of 4GB (the other 2GB are reserved for the system). On x64 these two other GB can now be accessed by 32bit applications. In order to achieve this, a flag has to be set in the file’s internal format. This is, of course, very easy for insiders who do it every day with the CFF Explorer. This tool was written because not everybody is an insider, and most probably a lot of people don’t even know that this can be achieved.

It is interesting to read that naysayers have already made their minds up, about a sim that will only be released in a year's time.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Many FS2004 users stick with this sim for very specific reasons. Anyone looking to jump the FS2004 ship???

I go back to Bruce Artwick/Sublogic on the Commodore 64 then A320 and ATP and on to MSFS. As each version of the latter was released I had no hesitation in moving on.

By the time FS2004 arrived I had already spent years putting together a longed-for flight deck with the keyboard redundant and replaced by switches and levers, yoke, pedals, autopilot, radios, etc. FS2004 was the icing on the cake.

For me, flying on one screen with the panel taking up half of it had long since become a no-no and I’d never go back to that. Having the big screen (plus large Fresnel lens) for outside view with the home-made instrument panels (FS Panel Studio) on extra screens below was the only way to go.

Hundreds of addons (Scenery, Mesh, FS Nav, FSMeteo/Active Sky, World of AI, etc, etc) have added huge extra enjoyment.

Like everyone else I was looking forward to the new version, FSX. Unfortunately, it proved to be no more than a stutter-fest – even on Microsoft’s own computers on their stand at a flightsim show in the UK. I never bought into it and, as well as that, MS itself gave up on it and, later on, further embarrassed itself with Flight.

I’ve no interest in P3D or XPlane. As time went by I built faster flight sim PC's a few times but still running on Windows XP Pro SP3. At each upgrade I just imaged the existing drive and restored it to a new HDD or subsequently, SSD. It runs flawlessly every time with all sliders to the right. It’s a boot up, open the flight deck door and go fly situation. No messing about with settings and with smooth flight every time.

So, to answer Skywatcher12.

If the new MSFS can do all that for me I could be in but I have grave doubts about that.

bam1220:

Interesting that you dont trust Microsoft with any new sim, can you justify that statement?

I also have the latest Windows 10 update, 1903 build 18362.449, and my 7 different installs of FS2004 work perfectly.

If your sim does not work in Windows 10, have you followed the instructions here?

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?319047-Installing-FS2004-into-Windows-10-amp-Copying-FS2004-from-your-OLD-PC-to-your-NEW-PC

you say that you have 16GB RAM, I have 8GB. I have a Asus laptop, i5 8520u core, 1T hard drive.

FS2004 is a 32bit program, running within a 64bit operating system.

A 32bit program can ONLY address 4GB RAM, including the RAM of you graphics card. So your 16GB RAM is more useful for multitasking!

To help this, have a look at https://ntcore.com/?page_id=371

Download & run the 4GB patch

This very little tool patches x86 executables in order to let them have 4GB (instead of only 2) of virtual memory on x64 platforms. This tool comes very handy for applications which need a great amount of virtual memory like games, 3D renderization, multimedia etc. To gain these 2GB, you just have to use this tool to patch the executable (*.exe file) of the software you want to have these additional GBs of virtual memory. It can be used by clicking on it and choosing the file or through command line (e.g.: “4gb_patch file.exe”). It automatically creates a backup copy of the original executable.

Why things are this way on x64 is easy to explain. On x86 applications have 2GB of virtual memory out of 4GB (the other 2GB are reserved for the system). On x64 these two other GB can now be accessed by 32bit applications. In order to achieve this, a flag has to be set in the file’s internal format. This is, of course, very easy for insiders who do it every day with the CFF Explorer. This tool was written because not everybody is an insider, and most probably a lot of people don’t even know that this can be achieved.

It is interesting to read that naysayers have already made their minds up, about a sim that will only be released in a year's time.

By not trusting any new MS sim on Windows 10 I mean that with each new update MS seems to screw up the functioning of games and other programs. I read it everywhere in the Windows 10 forums. I also have proof because my FS9 will no longer work after the 1903 upgrade. So I don't trust MS and I believe a future upgrade might just mess up the new flight sim through their crappy updates.

I have tried all of the suggestions you listed as well as many more. I had a perfectly good FS9 running on Windows 10 until the 1903 update. I don't trust MS to keep things working. That's what I meant.

PS I have no idea why the quote system in this forum did not work. Sorry for the included mess above my reply. I did click on reply with quote.

Edited by bam1220

An interesting thread indeed.

So, from the top:

Skywatcher12:

1. The new terrain does nothing for you? You prefer the scenery of FS2004 to what we have seen? (VFR world wide?)

Correct. You are drooling over the girl with her makeup on. I look forward to having a quality giggle reading the sooking on these forums in a couple of years when the makeup comes off.

I like seasons, I like flying world tours, lower quality consistent graphics bother me far less than graphics with flaws, errors or incomplete. If you think about some of those things you should work out what I mean.

2. Cost? We have no idea at all, speculation only, on what the costs will be.

We don't know specific pricing.

You can be guaranteed base game will cost you more than FS9 or FSX did.

You can be guaranteed you will have plenty of pricey add-ons.

It is not even safe to assume things MS state they may implement at a later date will be free. If, and that's a pretty major IF, seasons do at some point become available, you may very well have to pay an ORBX Global price for them if not more. This is modern gaming! Things rarely come in a free downloadable patch these days! Where there is opportunity...lol

3. Weather: I'm sure that you must have seen the weather video's, with realistic raindrops, cloud layers, shadows, etc?

Still can't fly over a blanket of white fluffy clouds it appears 15 years on from FSX. Yeah, we get some new cloud formations represented by blurry, super saturated, super contrasty, blown out highlight clouds that appear as pasted in as a 70's sci-fi movie. From what has been shown, the clouds have gone seriously backwards!

Then comes the real time weather. Totally looking forward to midday flights and watching the morning fog roll in! lol

4. Jumping FS2004?: No need to jump the ship. You can always have more than one simulator.

I use the one I think is the best. No interest in using the others.

Obviously the sim is for Windows 10. I'm sure Microsoft will not develop for an obsolete operating system that will shortly be not supported security wise.

Windows 10 was purely created to take your $$$ and give them to MS.

Is this not what the fanboys have done as well??? lol

I'm using reasoning. If they removed seasons, historic weather, ATC, customized AI from my FS9 I'd dump that too! The fanboys will preach about MSFS even if they remove the planes!

Edited by Skywatcher12
Mark Daniels

It is REFRESHING to see that SOMEONE else KNOWS what he is about talking.

1. MS Office CRAP x 10

2. Windows 10 the same CRAP

I wrote to MS and ask whether I can UPDATE FS2004 by myself, ESPECIALLY the AI Engine, and keep it for myself and NOT make money on it !!

FS9 is PERFECT, some little incorrect flight related Rules, I.E. for AI goaround stupid, Traffic Pattern 10 miles out, Outer Marker Inbound Traffic etc.

All can be easely re Programmed.

BUT no replay from MS.

I even committed myself to buy EVERY new Flightsimulator like FSX, BUT not using the new STUFF,

but NO rep[ly.

I've sent them a list of 6 pages about what is wrong in FS2004, years ago when FS2004 came out, NO rep[ly.

ARROGANT A....

Sincerely

G. Kirschstein

You wrote to Microsoft & asked if you could update FS2004 yourself?

It should have been obvious as to why Microsoft did not reply to you, as we have all done our own updates for ourselves, with add-ons & other stuff, to tweak our FS2004 to make it unique to what each of us want!

Well done for buying EVERY new Simulator... Well, from Microsoft, there was just FSX, & I'm sure Microsoft had no idea as to who bought their simulators.

Maybe you can share with us exactly what you found was wrong with FS2004?

So, do tell us why you dislike Office so much, & what you are using in it's place?

Also, why you also dislike Windows 10? (Apart from the START menu, that can be replaced for free?)

Edited by zswobbie1

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Maybe it's not a case of 'We'. Each one of us have different needs & expectations & we are NOT forced to buy anything. We all have choices to what we want & how much we want to spend. It's a personal not a collective 'WE' decision. Edited by zswobbie1

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Maybe it's not a case of 'We'. Each one of us have different needs & expectations & we are NOT forced to buy anything. We all have choices to what we want & how much we want to spend. It's a personal not a collective 'WE' decision.

Not seeing beyond this is why things are where they are.

Mark Daniels

Actually, the way things are, is that we will probably get an entertainment product hopefully before the end of 2020.

We have had an announcement from a developer that they will be releasing a product in about a years time that will/may be discounted if simmers buy the add-on for current sims.

People will either accept this, or buy the add-on when it is released after MSFS is launched.

Those that will, obviously will have accepted those terms, or, if they want the add-on, they will buy it.

Each of us have in the past, & will in the future, put a value, monetary or otherwise, on what our hobby is worth to us, and will spend whatever we decide, on whatever add-ons we want for our hobby. Nobody is forcing anyone to buy anything, & it is typical, as it has been for many years, for simmers to rant & complain about what we think that we are being ripped off.

Speak with your spending, instead of trying to change developers marketing strategies long before the sim, never mind the add-on has been released.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Actually, the way things are, is that we will probably get an entertainment product hopefully before the end of 2020.

We have had an announcement from a developer that they will be releasing a product in about a years time that will/may be discounted if simmers buy the add-on for current sims.

People will either accept this, or buy the add-on when it is released after MSFS is launched.

Those that will, obviously will have accepted those terms, or, if they want the add-on, they will buy it.

Each of us have in the past, & will in the future, put a value, monetary or otherwise, on what our hobby is worth to us, and will spend whatever we decide, on whatever add-ons we want for our hobby. Nobody is forcing anyone to buy anything, & it is typical, as it has been for many years, for simmers to rant & complain about what we think that we are being ripped off.

Speak with your spending, instead of trying to change developers marketing strategies long before the sim, never mind the add-on has been released.

I just hope you will understand why you cannot have 7 MSFS installs when the time comes.

While people are out there exploiting, there will be some of those who are doing things for free to support your interests who will inevitably walk away.

Mark Daniels

Fs9 more then suits me.

I have FSuX with all the mods. Doesn’t do it for me at all.

Only reason I’d try FSX version 2 - or P3Dud as it’s called I think - is to use Just Flights 747 Classic assuming it actually is any good.

X-Pain - tried it and it was awesome. Not. (I had to put that because if you write how terrible it really is, your posts get deleted. I thought that was only happening at JimYoungsAvsim and his merry men and his PMDG or nothing else domain. Guess not).

Maybe if FS12 runs ok, and has decent add-ons worth flying - Classic 747, 727 etc, I may switch. Otherwise, no.

Maybe if FS12 runs ok, and has decent add-ons worth flying - Classic 747, 727 etc, I may switch. Otherwise, no.

I'm betting not. All the expectation is still over nothing more than some pretty pictures. What we do know are some of the fundamental necessities expected of a flight sim are already confirmed as stripped.

I think when MSFS is finally released all the forums will light up like a Christmas tree but there won't be much Christmas spirit! lol

I'm so happy with FS9, already can see I'll be using it another decade at least and I'm totally fine with that.

Mark Daniels

Same here,

FS9 is great and not to offend FSX users, found it even better.

New MSFS? I understand that after FSX release Microsoft got rid of all the FS developers team, so curious what this 'new one' is all about. Obviously would like to give it a shot, just like I tried FSX. But doubt it will beat FS9.

Peter

Peter Bendl

ex. British Airways

Have a look here..

https://www.pcgamer.com/amp/microsoft-flight-simulator-is-looking-gorgeous/

&

https://www.flightsimulator.com/

The sim, Microsoft Flight Simulator, is being tested at the moment, and is due for release sometime next year. Nothing about when, nor any pricing, nor or anything else has been released yet.

It is a joint effort between Microsoft and ASOBO, a French company.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Have a look here..

https://www.pcgamer.com/amp/microsoft-flight-simulator-is-looking-gorgeous/

&

https://www.flightsimulator.com/

The sim, Microsoft Flight Simulator, is being tested at the moment, and is due for release sometime next year. Nothing about when, nor any pricing, nor or anything else has been released yet.

It is a joint effort between Microsoft and ASOBO, a French company.

What won't be in it has been mentioned. Those clouds looks terrible, blurry as heck.

I really want to see the effect of no seasons. I'd love to see 5th pic down in the PC Gamer link showing the scene at different times of day and year for example. You don't get to see anything like this because they are hiding these things.

No one has mentioned the water yet. From what i have seen it's nothing new from past sims.

People are buying everything MS are selling based on nothing but the photo scenery carefully shown to present at it's best.

Mark Daniels

From what I have seen so far, the new and as of yet, unreleased new sim looks fantastic and I can't wait!

I'll always stick up for FS2004, but time moves on.

Regarding the images; the blurriness is due to jpg compression it seems. Here are some better quality shots:

75513324_10156644633893062_7269877699244457984_o.jpg

74937011_556347838447977_41382306249703424_n.jpg

74601303_10156644636403062_7828596448454246400_o.jpg

72852738_2727291363956491_3813662205564420096_o.jpg

I've had FS2004 since it first became available and really enjoy it, but I've never seen it look like this.

Perhaps some kind individual can show me some screenshots, plus the add-ons needed for such quality.

Thanks

W33

X-Plane 11, P3D. 32GB RAM, i7 8700k, 1080Ti, Oculus Rift, 1TB SSD

No, nothing to do with jpeg compression, they are just blurry. First screenshot shows you clearly the clouds in the foreground left and the little patch of clouds on the right. I can see it in all of those pics but the first pic should be obvious to everyone.

Yes, the promo stuff looks fine but what you don't see is all the flaws when you will actually be using the sim and say flying low and slow from one airstrip to another. That will almost certainly tell a very different tale.

Then will come performance. System needed and how all this scenery will draw. From what has been shown so far popping, stutters and although I haven't seen it in the promo stuff yet, blurries I am certain will also be an issue.

Like I said, wait till release, till people are actually running it and then you will start seeing real evaluation of the product.

Then of course are things like lack of seasons and all the other features that won't be there from FS2004 or FSX.

Then on top of that, let's see costs, storage requirements, bandwidth requirements.

I know I sound highly negative but I game a lot! Despite what people say, FS is just a game and things won't be any different for MSFS as they are for any other game. It uses hardware the same, it lives in the same market and times.

What's clear, there are many things of concern and as of yet MS have released nothing to remove these concerns which in itself is a typical modern day tact and worrying.

I'd be happy to flip to a new sim as well but I don't think MSFS is it.

Mark Daniels