Poor Graphics Performance - Studdering - Help With Graphics Settings

Wintersedge

A am very poor when it comes to understanding graphics performance, and I am hoping someone can poinbt out some areas of my configuration that will help me smooth out my lower level flying. Right now its so studdery that it is uncomfortable playing.

My system:

Windows 10 64 Bit

Intel Core i7 @4.00 Ghz (30C idle) 3 Cores, 6 Threads HT on

16.0 GB Dual-Channel RAM @ 1070 Mhz (15-15-15-36)

ASUSTeK Prime Z370-A (LGA1151) MB

4095 Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 (42C idle)

3TB Western Digital WDC HD (exclusive to FSX)

MY FSX Installation:

FSX Acceleration

DX10 Fixer

UTX Canada, USA, Tropics & Carribean

Active Sky Next

FSUIPC (Registered)

FTX Global

FTX NRM, SAK, SCA, NCA, PNW

GSX

REX 4

DX10 Settings:

DX10 Anti Aliasing: 8x CSAA

My fsx.cfg, NVidia Inspector .nip file, and DX10 profile files can be reviewed here.

Hi Rob, my first recommendation would be that you don't need nVidia Inspector with FSX SP2 or with FSX Acceleration, you can use the NVIDIA Control Panel to set Anti Aliasing and Anisotropic Filtering instead, it works perfectly.

Secondly, I've found that less is more with the DX10 fixer settings - I first clicked on everything thinking it would be for the best, and it isn't. Only click on the features you really want, and if there's a slider, set it as low as possible (after testing the results of course).

Thirdly, make sure that the DX10 Anti Aliasing setting is exactly the same as the NVIDIA Control Panel setting. I've set all mine to 8x - Anisotropic, Anti Aliasing and Anti Aliasing - Transparency, with the Vertical sync set to Adaptive (half refresh rate).

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Hi Rob, my first recommendation would be that you don't need nVidia Inspector with FSX SP2 or with FSX Acceleration, you can use the NVIDIA Control Panel to set Anti Aliasing and Anisotropic Filtering instead, it works perfectly.

Thanks Tim for your support. I did not realize that Nvidia CP replaced NVI. I was following the supporting independant document for DX10 by Adam Banks on how to "best" optimize settings for FSX using DX10Fixer. The question now, is graphics settings configured through NI automatically apply when FSX is launched (my understanding of how NI works). How can I prevent NI kicking in it's profile in favour to the changes I made from within Nvidia Control Panel?

To calculate the AffinityMask settings, go here:

Jorgan, thank you also for your input. I was curious to the affinity mask calculator. My CPU has 3 cores, which doesn't appear as an option in the easy calculator, so not sure how effective it is in my case.

The NI profile can be reset to default, and this should allow the CP settings to take effect whenever FSX is launched.

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Yes Jorgen, I would also like to know what 3 Core i7 that is. AMD have 3 Core processors.

If the OP can go into their Win7 right click Desktop icon "Computer" select "Properties" The next screen will show Processor model, or Win10 Open the Task Manager Performance Tab, it will State at the top of the right pane graph what model CPU / Speed in GHz and then at the bottom, Number of cores and logical processors active.

Sounds like intel (chip set) drivers. Download drivers from Asus site (NOT anywhere else) for 64 bit Win 7 and install them as administrator and that should set things right. Good luck.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).