Customize Weather???

Minas Man

Good evening, all. :) I've been having troubles with my landings on final approach. It feels like I'm being blown around at about 200 feet above ground. Someone on YouTube suggested that an easy approach for X Plane beginners would be to delete any wind layers at that height.

He suggested going to: Flight>Flight configuration>Weather>Customize>Weather mode>Manual configuration>Delete Wind Layer

Well, when I tried that, I got a big surprise: :confused: The "Customize" button on my sim doesn't work. It is totally un-clickable. The sliders underneath work just fine. I can change from clear, to cloudy, stormy, etc. But no way can I add or delete wind layers. :confused:

Anyone else have this problem? Anyone have any suggestion (besides learning how to land in a cross-wind)? BTW, this is the Steam version of X-Plane 11 that I'm using...

Thanks, in advance...

Oh, and one other thing: I'm not using a yoke at this time. I'm using a joystick (Saitek Evo) which I'm having the devil's time controlling. So, is it me...or is it my joystick...bad cross-winds...or bad landing skills??? Thanks, again...

Reginald :)

Hi Reginald.

I am assuming that you have XP11 / C172SP?

First point, if you do not have Rudder pedals you will have a very difficult time handling XP on / close to the ground, wind or not.

The instructions you were given are correct, the wording is slightly different but close enough to get you there.

If you have XP11 you must be able to click / activate Customize under the Weather box / window, if not go to your XPlane Installer and Reinstall XP. While you are at it you should get 11.40.r1 / latest version, which has a number of changes to help with the ground handling.

When you get to Weather settings, Left Click (LC) on the Wind layer, if you have one, you should not have it if it was a virgin install and then LC on the Delete layer at the bottom left. If you have any Turbulence / Thermals you can disable that also.

Remove / disable any Addons / LUA scripts / that you may have and try it again.

If you can afford buy a set of CH Pro pedals USB some are available for around $50.00 used, if you get a Gameport, you may find some at swap meets, you must get a Gameport to USB converter for another ~$20.00 and it will work also, check Ebay.

In addition in your Joystick settings go to your Add response curve and create a dead zone in your Yaw axis, grab the Yellow dot, at around 30 ; 11 to help minimize the over control sensitivity.

Edited by flytv1

Thanks, flytv1...I have been using the Saitek for everything (including rudder). Have considered CH Yoke and peddles but will have to wait a little while longer due to finances (although Ebay may be an option). In the meantime, I'll try yours and il88p's recommendations and see what happens. Thanks for the prompt reply...Appreciate it...

Thanks' date=' flytv1...I have been using the Saitek for everything (including rudder). Have considered CH Yoke and peddles but will have to wait a little while longer due to finances (although Ebay may be an option). In the meantime, I'll try yours and il88p's recommendations and see what happens. Thanks for the prompt reply...Appreciate it...[/quote']

I have a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro which handles crosswinds rather well, not as good as I have experienced with rudder pedals in real life, but as close and since I have limited sim space, I have to go with a joystick. It also, although not Force Feedback, has a good feel that has the give I feel on aircraft I have flown with sticks vs. yokes in real life, and most aircraft in real life I have flown have had sticks since I fly under light sport, or trikes which have the trapeze bar.

Oddly, I find AeroflyFS2 which I recently purchased on a lark simulates crosswinds very well, and rudder control. I can "draw the box" like my CFI taught me to do so I could get good coordination skills with stick and rudder. But Xplane11 is also good with crosswinds, better than P3DV4 I feel, which I also have. All three sims provide certain flight profiles I like to use to keep the hobby from getting boring, and I try to keep my aircraft from overlapping in the three sims as much as possible. So I have never tired of these sims. Xplane11 is still my personal favorite, followed surprisingly by AeroflyFS2, P3DV4 has dropped to third for just one reason--it's photo scenery, which is just the same as my photo scenery in Xplane11 but not as sharp as AeroflyFS2, takes forever to load, even from my SSD drive.

Back to your topic, I always have light but variable winds on final approach because in real life, I have only once flown in calm air out of several dozen flights (I only rent a few times a year, I am not a high hours pilot). These winds challenge me and make the simming much more realistic, more pleasing and more satisfying if I have a landing I can walk away from (wink).

JC - Cactus (former callsign of America West USAir, Phoenix's home airline before the AA merger, and 521, mah month.day of birth), that's why I use Cactus521 as my handle.

I used a scanner and always laughed when I heard Cactus talking to SFO, Reno, DC, Chicago, LA, and Phoenix approach, the six cities I have lived in although not in that order but all major air hubs--well, Reno, not quite so much but beautiful airport....