Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The excitement of it all, once again

1. Default The excitement of it all, once again

Nothing of substance here, just excited to get back into FS after a ten year hiatus. The new sim looks amazing. Going to research a new gaming desktop to buy dedicated for it. My 9 year old son loves playing X-Plane on his iPad, and when he saw the teaser video for FS2020, the look on his face reminded me of when I was his age on my Commodore 64 flying subLogic FS. Ahhh what a grand time.
    I look forward to setting up flights with my son and logging tons of flight hours.

I cannot deny my passion for this hobby. It brought me so many years of enjoyment and I missed it. Thank you Microsoft and the Flight Simulator Team for bringing the dream back to reality!

Andy Clapp
    Auburn, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Agent45 View Post
    Nothing of substance here, just excited to get back into FS after a ten year hiatus. The new sim looks amazing. Going to research a new gaming desktop to buy dedicated for it. My 9 year old son loves playing X-Plane on his iPad, and when he saw the teaser video for FS2020, the look on his face reminded me of when I was his age on my Commodore 64 flying subLogic FS. Ahhh what a grand time.
    I look forward to setting up flights with my son and logging tons of flight hours.

I cannot deny my passion for this hobby. It brought me so many years of enjoyment and I missed it. Thank you Microsoft and the Flight Simulator Team for bringing the dream back to reality!

Andy Clapp
    Auburn, WA
    This ^^^^^^^^^^^^

You are far from alone! I posted the other day in another thread here after a five year absence. I invested countless thousands in PC hardware, flight yoke & rudder pedals, throttle quadrants, and who knows how much in aftermarket payware from complex aircraft to airport scenery and ground textures to weather. Started with FS98 in 1999, finished with FSX in 2015. I still remember my last FSX flight with Carenado's Phenom 100 before packing everything up and moving. Then life changes meaning priorities change. It happens to real world private pilots too (and I'm one of them as well).

In any event, I have already set aside a budget for a ground up new build and new hardware (I sold it all several years ago). However, not having a clue what we are looking at for a roadmap on where FS will be going into next year and beyond and hardware and software (payware) expectations and openness, I think I'm just going to go with a budget build and reinstall all over again FSX and all of my aftermarket payware.

I am a little concerned about MS's adaptation of FS to the Xbox however. I hope power PC users can take advantage of that power in settings and aftermarket upgrades long term. I'm also concerned about MS's servers being capable of what they are about to experience in demand and users not experiencing stutters no matter how fast their network is.
    Last edited by N069NT; 10-31-2019 at 08:16 PM.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by N069NT View Post
    I hope power PC users can take advantage of that power in settings and aftermarket upgrades long term.
    It would be logical to assume mid range PC specs for MSFS will be a little above the new Xbox specs.
    A very high end PC should offer better performance.

Depending what add-on developer scope is, may be 2030 before anyone can run it reasonably well with high end add-ons. I very much doubt add-on developers will have the same scope as previous versions of FS.
    Last edited by Skywatcher12; 10-31-2019 at 09:09 PM.
    Mark Daniels

Going the Xbox way is actually great marketing.
    Capturing just 1% of registered Xbox users give a new user base of 600,000.

Mark, 10 years to develop a program to run high end addons? Seriously? You really think that the default aircraft will be low end, and PMDG, or similar addons will not be as good as their addons for P3D and FSX for the next 10 years?
    Last edited by zswobbie1; 11-01-2019 at 02:34 AM.
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by zswobbie1 View Post
    Mark, 10 years to develop a program to run high end addons? Seriously? You really think that the default aircraft will be low end, and PMDG, or similar addons will not be as good as their addons for P3D and FSX for the next 10 years?
    Everyone is thinking PC, PC, PC and forgetting Xbox, Xbox, Xbox when it comes to everything to do with MSFS.
    In the past add-on developers were unrestricted. They could develop at the cost of performance. Default FSX can run on a fairly moderate system. Throw in some high end add-ons and suddenly you need much better hardware. Developers won't be able to do that in the future because Xbox hardware has nowhere to go. It is what it is so add-ons for MSFS will have to be restricted as to what can be achieved.

To answer your question, I don't think it will be 2030 because add-ons will be hardware restricted.
    Mark Daniels

Quote Originally Posted by Skywatcher12 View Post
    Everyone is thinking PC, PC, PC and forgetting Xbox, Xbox, Xbox when it comes to everything to do with MSFS.
    In the past add-on developers were unrestricted. They could develop at the cost of performance. Default FSX can run on a fairly moderate system. Throw in some high end add-ons and suddenly you need much better hardware. Developers won't be able to do that in the future because Xbox hardware has nowhere to go. It is what it is so add-ons for MSFS will have to be restricted as to what can be achieved.

To answer your question, I don't think it will be 2030 because add-ons will be hardware restricted.
    There's nothing, that we know of, stopping a developer from creating a more detailed add-ons for the PC with a lower quality version for the Xbox. A number of games currently offer PC users better scenery and graphics than the Xbox version, and I expect something similar will happen with the new sim. The Xbox will appeal to those looking for a cheaper option that they can just plug in and fly, while the PC will be for those looking for the best possible performance, graphics and flexibility.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by loki View Post
    There's nothing, that we know of, stopping a developer from creating a more detailed add-ons for the PC with a lower quality version for the Xbox. A number of games currently offer PC users better scenery and graphics than the Xbox version, and I expect something similar will happen with the new sim. The Xbox will appeal to those looking for a cheaper option that they can just plug in and fly, while the PC will be for those looking for the best possible performance, graphics and flexibility.
    I don't think that will be the case. We shall see.
    Mark Daniels

It should be clear that MS/ASOBO are developing MSFS for the PC. Only after the PC version is ready to reach Gold Release state will they begin figuring out how to port MSFS to Xbox Scarlet. They will likely have to scale it down somewhat to meet their goals.

ASOBO have committed to a ten year cycle of continued development on MSFS, so new features and fixes will be applied automatically over that period of time.

I have it on good authority that the SDK to be supplied will actually allow for more token variables and commands, allowing us developers even more latitude with our products.
    Bill Leaming
    Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Military Visualizations
    Flightsim.com Panels & Gauges Forum Moderator
    Flightsim Rig: Intel Core i7-2600K - 8GB DDR3 1333 - EVGA GTX770 4GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium
    Development Rig1: Intel Core i7-3770k - 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD7770 SLI 1GB - Win7 64bit Professional
    Development Rig2: Intel Core i7-860 - 8GB DDR3 Corsair - GeForce GTS240 1GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium
    NOTE: Unless explicitly stated in the post, everything written by my hand is MY opinion. I do NOT speak for any company, real or imagined...

Quote Originally Posted by n4gix View Post

I have it on good authority that the SDK to be supplied will actually allow for more token variables and commands, allowing us developers even more latitude with our products.
    As a cockpit builder i just hope that if this is the case developers give full access to key/switch assignments of their products. It has taken me 6 months of head scratching to get to assigning the switches and knobs of my addon bizjet.

No names mentioned, but some developers are quick to moan about MS giving them a SDK , then don't open up their own software in the same way.

Stinger

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast