The excitement of it all, once again

Nothing of substance here, just excited to get back into FS after a ten year hiatus. The new sim looks amazing. Going to research a new gaming desktop to buy dedicated for it. My 9 year old son loves playing X-Plane on his iPad, and when he saw the teaser video for FS2020, the look on his face reminded me of when I was his age on my Commodore 64 flying subLogic FS. Ahhh what a grand time.

I look forward to setting up flights with my son and logging tons of flight hours.

I cannot deny my passion for this hobby. It brought me so many years of enjoyment and I missed it. Thank you Microsoft and the Flight Simulator Team for bringing the dream back to reality!

Andy Clapp

Auburn, WA

Nothing of substance here, just excited to get back into FS after a ten year hiatus. The new sim looks amazing. Going to research a new gaming desktop to buy dedicated for it. My 9 year old son loves playing X-Plane on his iPad, and when he saw the teaser video for FS2020, the look on his face reminded me of when I was his age on my Commodore 64 flying subLogic FS. Ahhh what a grand time.

I look forward to setting up flights with my son and logging tons of flight hours.

I cannot deny my passion for this hobby. It brought me so many years of enjoyment and I missed it. Thank you Microsoft and the Flight Simulator Team for bringing the dream back to reality!

Andy Clapp

Auburn, WA

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^

You are far from alone! I posted the other day in another thread here after a five year absence. I invested countless thousands in PC hardware, flight yoke & rudder pedals, throttle quadrants, and who knows how much in aftermarket payware from complex aircraft to airport scenery and ground textures to weather. Started with FS98 in 1999, finished with FSX in 2015. I still remember my last FSX flight with Carenado's Phenom 100 before packing everything up and moving. Then life changes meaning priorities change. It happens to real world private pilots too (and I'm one of them as well).

In any event, I have already set aside a budget for a ground up new build and new hardware (I sold it all several years ago). However, not having a clue what we are looking at for a roadmap on where FS will be going into next year and beyond and hardware and software (payware) expectations and openness, I think I'm just going to go with a budget build and reinstall all over again FSX and all of my aftermarket payware.

I am a little concerned about MS's adaptation of FS to the Xbox however. I hope power PC users can take advantage of that power in settings and aftermarket upgrades long term. I'm also concerned about MS's servers being capable of what they are about to experience in demand and users not experiencing stutters no matter how fast their network is.

Edited by N069NT
i7 11700K @ 5.0GHz, ASUS Z590-Plus TUF Gaming, Noctua NH-D15, 2x16GB G.SKILL TridentZ 4000, EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3, Super Flower 850W, SilverStone Redline SST-RL06 PRO case, Samsung 980 2TB M.2 (OS/MSFS), Gigabyte Aorus 48" OLED 4K 120Hz + LG 32" UN32650-W 4K monitors, Logitech Yoke + throttle + CH Pro Pedals

I hope power PC users can take advantage of that power in settings and aftermarket upgrades long term.

It would be logical to assume mid range PC specs for MSFS will be a little above the new Xbox specs.

A very high end PC should offer better performance.

Depending what add-on developer scope is, may be 2030 before anyone can run it reasonably well with high end add-ons. I very much doubt add-on developers will have the same scope as previous versions of FS.

Edited by Skywatcher12
Mark Daniels

Going the Xbox way is actually great marketing.

Capturing just 1% of registered Xbox users give a new user base of 600,000.

Mark, 10 years to develop a program to run high end addons? Seriously? You really think that the default aircraft will be low end, and PMDG, or similar addons will not be as good as their addons for P3D and FSX for the next 10 years?

Edited by zswobbie1

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Mark, 10 years to develop a program to run high end addons? Seriously? You really think that the default aircraft will be low end, and PMDG, or similar addons will not be as good as their addons for P3D and FSX for the next 10 years?

Everyone is thinking PC, PC, PC and forgetting Xbox, Xbox, Xbox when it comes to everything to do with MSFS.

In the past add-on developers were unrestricted. They could develop at the cost of performance. Default FSX can run on a fairly moderate system. Throw in some high end add-ons and suddenly you need much better hardware. Developers won't be able to do that in the future because Xbox hardware has nowhere to go. It is what it is so add-ons for MSFS will have to be restricted as to what can be achieved.

To answer your question, I don't think it will be 2030 because add-ons will be hardware restricted.

Mark Daniels

Everyone is thinking PC, PC, PC and forgetting Xbox, Xbox, Xbox when it comes to everything to do with MSFS.

In the past add-on developers were unrestricted. They could develop at the cost of performance. Default FSX can run on a fairly moderate system. Throw in some high end add-ons and suddenly you need much better hardware. Developers won't be able to do that in the future because Xbox hardware has nowhere to go. It is what it is so add-ons for MSFS will have to be restricted as to what can be achieved.

To answer your question, I don't think it will be 2030 because add-ons will be hardware restricted.

There's nothing, that we know of, stopping a developer from creating a more detailed add-ons for the PC with a lower quality version for the Xbox. A number of games currently offer PC users better scenery and graphics than the Xbox version, and I expect something similar will happen with the new sim. The Xbox will appeal to those looking for a cheaper option that they can just plug in and fly, while the PC will be for those looking for the best possible performance, graphics and flexibility.

There's nothing, that we know of, stopping a developer from creating a more detailed add-ons for the PC with a lower quality version for the Xbox. A number of games currently offer PC users better scenery and graphics than the Xbox version, and I expect something similar will happen with the new sim. The Xbox will appeal to those looking for a cheaper option that they can just plug in and fly, while the PC will be for those looking for the best possible performance, graphics and flexibility.

I don't think that will be the case. We shall see.

Mark Daniels

It should be clear that MS/ASOBO are developing MSFS for the PC. Only after the PC version is ready to reach Gold Release state will they begin figuring out how to port MSFS to Xbox Scarlet. They will likely have to scale it down somewhat to meet their goals.

ASOBO have committed to a ten year cycle of continued development on MSFS, so new features and fixes will be applied automatically over that period of time.

I have it on good authority that the SDK to be supplied will actually allow for more token variables and commands, allowing us developers even more latitude with our products.

Bill Leaming http://smileys.sur-la-toile.com/repository/Combat/0054.gif

Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Military Visualizations

Flightsim.com Panels & Gauges Forum Moderator

Flightsim Rig: Intel Core i7-2600K - 8GB DDR3 1333 - EVGA GTX770 4GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

Development Rig1: Intel Core i7-3770k - 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD7770 SLI 1GB - Win7 64bit Professional

Development Rig2: Intel Core i7-860 - 8GB DDR3 Corsair - GeForce GTS240 1GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

NOTE: Unless explicitly stated in the post, everything written by my hand is MY opinion. I do NOT speak for any company, real or imagined...

• 3 weeks later...

I have it on good authority that the SDK to be supplied will actually allow for more token variables and commands, allowing us developers even more latitude with our products.

As a cockpit builder i just hope that if this is the case developers give full access to key/switch assignments of their products. It has taken me 6 months of head scratching to get to assigning the switches and knobs of my addon bizjet.

No names mentioned, but some developers are quick to moan about MS giving them a SDK , then don't open up their own software in the same way.

Stinger

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

It should be clear that MS/ASOBO are developing MSFS for the PC. Only after the PC version is ready to reach Gold Release state will they begin figuring out how to port MSFS to Xbox Scarlet. They will likely have to scale it down somewhat to meet their goals.

The marketing leads you to believe MSFS is all about the PC and the Xbox is a side act. I really don't believe this is the case. People are buying absolutely everything MS are selling right now without giving anything a second thought.

I do think the launch of this game when everyone can get their hands on it will be incredibly fascinating.

Mark Daniels

The marketing leads you to believe MSFS is all about the PC and the Xbox is a side act. I really don't believe this is the case.

I agree, Mark. So far we're only hearing from the developers, Asobo.

It should be clear that Asobo are PC developers only and apparently know nothing about games consoles - and that they'll have signed an NDA to give nothing away about MS/Xbox Game Studio's future plans, so whatever they DO know, they won't be telling.

Clearly Asobo are handling the PC development only and MS/Xbox Game Studios are handling everything else.

It's common knowledge that all console titles are developed on PC before being re-compiled into console format anyway, so Asobo are giving nothing away there.

Considering all that MS/XBox Games Studios have put at stake here, it's highly unlikely that this flagship MS/Xbox Game Studios title will be launched on PC only with an inferior quality version for Xbox to be released sometime, whenever. MS/XBox Game Studios are timing the release of Microsoft Flight Simulator to coincide with the launch of XBox Project Scarlett, to showcase the capabilities of the new console and the xCloud server system, which will allow players to access their game/sim from ANY Windows 10 compatible mobile, tablet, laptop or PC.

Whatever Asobo have said or even think, Microsoft Flight Simulator WILL be optimised for XBox Project Scarlett FIRST AND FOREMOST, with the latest mobile platforms a very close second. If it happens to run on your old PC in any one of the three compatibility modes, you should count yourself very lucky indeed.

Edited by tiger1962

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

It should be clear that Asobo are PC developers only and apparently know nothing about games consoles - and that they'll have signed an NDA to give nothing away about MS/Xbox Game Studio's future plans, so whatever they DO know, they won't be telling.

Seems to me that Asobo know quite a bit about consoles seeing as they have been developing games for consoles and PC for well over a decade now.

As for the rest, that is pure speculation as everything that has been announced, including comments from Phil Spencer, says quite explicitly PC first.

As for the rest, that is pure speculation as everything that has been announced, including comments from Phil Spencer, says quite explicitly PC first.

PC first for the full launch? Or as closed Beta, which it is already?

Both Asobo and XBox Game Studios have declined to comment on the full launch date, pricing/subscription etc., stating that those are COMMERCIAL decisions and not DEVELOPER decisions.

In other words, MICROSOFT has the final say and NOTHING the developers have said on those subjects so far is concrete.

Mark, the Live AI is just part of the wider streaming content issue which even XBox Game Studios are unsure about at this stage - even if the xCloud servers can handle it, will enough customers have a suitable connection AND be willing to sign up for it?

Edited by tiger1962

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

PC first for the full launch? Or as closed Beta, which it is already?

Both Asobo and XBox Game Studios have declined to comment on the full launch date, pricing/subscription etc., stating that those are COMMERCIAL decisions and not DEVELOPER decisions.

In other words, MICROSOFT has the final say and NOTHING the developers have said on those subjects so far is concrete.

Mark, the Live AI is just part of the wider streaming content issue which even XBox Game Studios are unsure about at this stage - even if the xCloud servers can handle it, will enough customers have a suitable connection AND be willing to sign up for it?

Again, Microsoft themselves have explicitly stated that it is launching in 2020 on the PC first. Sure, exact pricing hasn't been given yet, but it will be available as a standalone purchase as well as through Xbox Game Pass, just like all games in XGP currently are. From an interview with Microsoft Flight Simulator head Jorg Neumann:

Yes, Microsoft Flight Simulator will come to Xbox consoles at some point, Neumann said, and it will be an Xbox Game Pass title on that platform, just like its Windows 10 version will be. And, yes, the game will be available either as part of XGP or as a standalone purchase.

But the game's announced "2020" launch window is for Windows 10, not Xbox consoles, and there's no indication of whether the console version will have specific limitations. Might it require online streaming? Might it require an Xbox One X minimum? Microsoft isn't saying.

"We honestly don't have a date for Xbox, otherwise we might've said something," Neumann told Ars Technica. "Is there a parallel effort related to Xbox [development]? Yeah, but it's very modest at this point. Our first and foremost topic is getting the simulation right, then do as much as we can from the [closed beta] feedback

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/09/the-new-ms-flight-simulator-taught-me-how-to-fly-an-actual-plane/

"But the game's announced "2020" launch window is for Windows 10, not Xbox consoles", says Ars Technica, NOT Jorg Neumann. BIG difference. AND this interview is from back in September 2019, things have moved on somewhat since then.

It's bound to be released with Scarlett.

I think it's hoped to be released with Project Scarlett, at this stage it's officially launching on XBox One and Windows 10 because Project Scarlett is still in development and they're wisely not counting their chickens before they're hatched.