Installing FS2004 into Windows 10 & Copying FS2004 from your OLD PC to your NEW PC

zswobbie1

To INSTALL FS2004 to your new Windows 10 PC

1. Install into C:\ NOT into it's default C:\Program Files

2. Install the 9.1 updatel

3. Install the 9.1 nocd patch

4. Right-click the FS9.exe, select Properties

5. Select Compatibility mode, & select XP

6. At bottom, then select 'Run as Administrator'

7. Double click the desktop icon

To COPY & PASTE from your OLD PC to your NEW Windows 10 PC

From your OLD PC:

1. Copy the whole FS2004 folder to a portable drive

2. Open the Documents Folder & copy the 'Flight Simulator Files' folder to a portable drive

3. Find the FS2004.cfg file & copy it to your portable drive

This is normally found in C:\Users\xxx(your user)\appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\FS9

An easy way to find this FS2004.cfg is to download EVERYTHING from http://www.voidtools.com

(This is a very fast desktop search engine that will find the file as you type)

Once all that is done:

1. Plug the portable drive into your NEW PC

2. Open the C:\ folder & copy & paste the copied FS2004 folder therein

3. Right-click the FS2004.exe & 'Send to Desktop (create shortcut) You now will have a Desktop FS2004 icon

4. Copy & paste the 'Flight Simulator Files' folder into your 'Documents' folder

5. Right-click the FS9.exe, select Properties

6. Select Compatibility mode, & select XP

7. At bottom, then select 'Run as Administrator'

8. Double click the desktop icon

THEN

9. Copy & Paste the FS2004.cfg file into C:\Users\xxx(your user)\appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\FS9

10. Double click the desktop icon

NOTE: I'm interchanging FS9 with FS2004. Be consistent with your install!

• Like 1

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

• 1 month later...
Wow! Thanks Robin, for the detailed "how-to" tips. Similar issues with my Win10 setup. Just in case installing to C:\ doesn't always work, I've had some success installing FS9 (and other older sims & games) into C:\Games\. Win10 doesn't seem to cause so many issues when installed there. Another alternative, which has worked best for me, is to re-use my old WinXP hard drive from my old PC and set up a dual boot for running older sims. Thanks again for your detailed "how-to". :)
~~ "In some cultures, my behaviour would be considered normal." ~~

• 4 months later...

This may be my first post, so patience please? Thnx.

I've been running FS2004 and FSX on my new Win10 machine - did the original install into the C:\programs, etc folder (default). But unlike on my previous Win7 machine, I've had tremendous problems adding AC and textures - in particular from Historic Jetliners Group (a great set of AC/panels/textures). They seem to install, but FS9 doesn't "see" them in the AC drop-down. I've always suspected there's something that Win10 doesn't like about FS9. So, I'm going to try to re-install to C:\root.

Questions:

Since all my FS files are already on the C drive (solid state, very quick, etc.), can I just copy/move them to a new Flight Simulator 9 folder that I create on C:\, and then move the associated data files?

Or, should I just reinstall FS9 from the CDs and then copy the folder & subfolders? Not a huge problem to do a clean install, but wondering.

Or, start from scratch, and install all my add-ons one at a time?

Thanks - and if it's true that Win10 doesn't like FS9, then shame on them, right?

PS - FSX seems to work fine in the programs folder - but I haven't tried many add-ons with that.

Welcome Dan,

You can just copy & paste from your Program Files to your new folder in C:\

Then RENAME the original FS9 FOLDER in Program Files to FS9-Backup, or anything you prefer.

You now have a backup of your FS9, that you can MOVE to a portable drive

Also delete the FS9 icon on the desktop

Open the new FS9 folder in C:\

Right-click the FS9.exe & Send to Desktop

Double click that to run the sim

All should be good, key assignments must be redone (as a new fs9.cfg has been created)

Then, go to http://www.flight1.com/view.asp?page=library

and download the Registry Repair Tool, & run it.

This tells the registry where the NEW FS9 is sitting.

You might have to reinstall payware, & maybe re-add scenery into the scenery library.

A bit lengthly, but it's quicker to do than to explain...

Have fun,

Robin

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Robin,

Thanks so much. I'll try it and report back. Most of my add-ons are freeware (including lots from Flightsim) because I'm cheap. And even if I do have to re-install, I've gotten all that down to a science by now.

Dan

Good luck, Dan.

Try the copy & paste method, it works.

I have 8 different installs of FS9 on my laptop, all copied & pasted from my original backup which is on my portable drive.

All that's needed to do is to rename the main folder & the FS9.exe, & send that to desktop as a shortcut.

Cheers,

Robin

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

• 3 months later...
Why did you not install it in the default location?

The default location is a protected file in Windows 10 so you may have issues with editing .cfg files. Personally, I've had no issues running as Administrator. If you have downloaded an add-on aircraft, for example, do any editing of the cfg files before you add the a/c to the Aircraft folder.

Kit Stevens

New Zealand

Sad to say I've needed to get a new PC and only option was to get one with W10. Copied and pasted a FS9 version into it and its working.

Issue is that even when I make changes to the FS9 CFG - by copying it onto the desktop, making changes - then putting it back into the App/roaming/etc etc folder, despite it saving, it doesnt change anything in the sim.

So....what am I doing wrong? Apart from not installing W7..lol

Are you running as admin and using Win XP compatibility just out of curiosity?

If you are, did you attempt to run first without it?

I THINK as admin but not in Win XP compatibility mode. Or any other mode.

I say think because I don't know and cant remember as it was yesterday and there's been a lot of beer drank since then. :p

I never installed it in the main SSD drive. But in the 1 TB storage drive I have. Works ok. So maybe it doesnt have to have admin checked.

It wasn't my first choice for W10, but my wife insisted as she will use it too and she likes W10 and who am I to argue with my wife? :D

I THINK as admin but not in Win XP compatibility mode. Or any other mode.

I say think because I don't know and cant remember as it was yesterday and there's been a lot of beer drank since then. :p

I never installed it in the main SSD drive. But in the 1 TB storage drive I have. Works ok. So maybe it doesnt have to have admin checked.

It wasn't my first choice for W10, but my wife insisted as she will use it too and she likes W10 and who am I to argue with my wife? :D

That's good, as I know a little about what you run in FS9, if FS9 works leave Win XP off. Running as admin shouldn't really matter if you currently have it on or off. I'd recommend it off. You can check by right clicking the FS9.exe and selecting properties.

Win 10 runs FS9 ok but I have found a few issues if you run enough different things in it.

Mark Daniels

That's good, as I know a little about what you run in FS9, if FS9 works leave Win XP off. Running as admin shouldn't really matter if you currently have it on or off. I'd recommend it off. You can check by right clicking the FS9.exe and selecting properties.

Win 10 runs FS9 ok but I have found a few issues if you run enough different things in it.

Yeah I dont have it checked as admin. And I can see how it will have some issues. Definitely not as user friendly as W7 is.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
i just moved the entire folder from my old pc on to an external HD and run it from there

:cool:

Maybe ya'll all can help me out?

Everything is for the most part copathethic after using zswoobie1's fix below-->

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?313913-FS9-Windows10

I knew the registry entry/ lack thereof may be a problem with copy and pasting, old win 7 fs9 to C:\ on windows 10 machine.

I've only only gotten 1 registry error(So Far, I'm only a day into new copy of fs9 from win7 to 10) it happened when I tried to install Ultimate water, an old purchase, fwiw the only pay ware I've ever used in 20 years.

I think it may popup again sooner or later...

When I use FS9Path_Utility I Get error (It appears registry entry is blank/ does not exist)-----> see attached pls...fs9 path.jpg

I also use FSTscenery it works fine, does nothing for the registry though...

All the forums say use FSX/FS9 Registry Repair Tool @https://www.flight1.com/view.asp?page=library,

Every browser I've used ie, chrome, edge blocks the file as malicious, I've tried to get around it, but I can't...

Can someone get me the file? If you can and it's safe, and repairs my registry I'll be grateful...

I have no problem editing the registry if someone has a clear path to adding the entries.

Tia

Yours,

ts

Fwiw This is the Swobbie1 fix I referred to:

Step 2. Copy & paste your complete Flight Simulator 9 folder from your portable drive into C:\

Step 3. Open up the C:\Flight Simulator 9 folder, right-click the FS9.exe & 'Send to Desktop'.

Step 4. Double-click the FS9 on the desktop to run the sim.

Step 5. It might/probably will not work.

Step 6. Right-click the desktop icon, select the Compatibility tab, Click Compatibility Mode & select Windows XP (Service Pack2) from the pull down menu, & tick 'Run this program as an administrator' Then Apply & OK.

Step 7. Run the program again.... It will/should work!

Step 8. Go to https://www.flight1.com/view.asp?page=library & download the Registry Repair Tool, & run it. This tells the Registry where FS2004 has been installed.

Step 9. If the Scenery.cfg had not been copied over from the drive, you might have to add your scenery from the Scenery library.

10. You probably have to reinstall all payware add-ons.

Phew, 10 steps, but it's easier to do than to explain.

I've found re-installing the sim from it's disks is actually a pain, & the above way works.

You can have multiple installs just by renaming the sim folder & the exe file, after copying BUT before running.

Hope this helps :-)

Regards,

Robin