Installing FS2004 into Windows 10 & Copying FS2004 from your OLD PC to your NEW PC

zswobbie1

New mobo/cpu and new SSD with OS on it.

I had a secondary HDD only for storage that is now also on this one. And the old SSD with the OS is also on here but the PC loads obviously from the new SSD.

I went through all 3 of my main installs that I previously had on the HDD. One loads ok. Zero issues.

The other 2 installs don't load. One loads the splash screen only. The other has a c++ runtime library error and doesn't load.

So weird that 1 out of 3 works.

Did you create a restore point b4 updating DX11 and c++?

Are you sure your full load of Win10 on original SSD is not trying to dual boot, or interfering any way with the new SSD?

I'd say if your sure you have no conflicts, other than the new dx11 and c++

Just take your clean install of fs9 on your SSD boot drive, delete all the folders/files Under C:\Flight Simulator 9 ( not the C:\Flight Simulator 9 main) Screenshot 2022-01-30 223231.jpg

and copy all the folders/files from one of your old fs9 installs from (1033 first folder) to the bottom file

You have a registered version of fs9 installed, so no regedits or tools, you're just going to replace everything beneath C:\Flight Simulator 9 with a copy of old fs9 files/folders.

The 9.1 update should be in your old files/folders when you copy them to the big blank space under C:\Flight Simulator 9.

The c++ and dx11 I don't know, I'd uninstall them if possible.

gl

Nothing is dual booting. I'm removing data then will wipe it and format it for storage only.

I tried your copy and past method of only the 'yellow' folders. Previous fresh install, FS9 loads. Copy and pasting after? I get the Microsoft Visuals c++ runtime library box and it wont load.

No need to uninstall those other dx9-11 / c++ files as they dont interfere with anything.

JSMR,

Get rid of the c++ dx11 install by restoring your computer to last restore point(system restore).

Then Delete Everything -->>> delete all the folders/files Under C:\Flight Simulator 9 ( not the C:\Flight Simulator 9 main)

You're not trying to do this on an external drive, or an internal d or f etc., drive?

Use only C:\ after system restore re-read my prior post...

gl

JSMR,

Get rid of the c++ dx11 install by restoring your computer to last restore point(system restore).

Then Delete Everything -->>> delete all the folders/files Under C:\Flight Simulator 9 ( not the C:\Flight Simulator 9 main)

You're not trying to do this on an external drive, or an internal d or f etc., drive?

Use only C:\ after system restore re-read my prior post...

gl

None of that makes sense. Why would I delete something that isnt being used?

I downloaded a directx package that installed the libries of DX9 through to 11. Directx 12 is still on the PC and is listed as the dirextx in the dxdiag system check. FS9 needs dx 9.0c or something hence why the message box was coming up.

I installed it and that went away. Now a message box comes up (on 2 out of 3 installs) that there is a c++ runtime library issue. So I installed the c++ library i fs2004 needs but it made no difference.

I have it on my origanl D drive (HDD) which is identical to the setup I had on the previous PC and it ran fine not being on the main drive.

But I ALSO copied it across to the main SSD and tried it as well. Still no result. 2 prior installs simply dont want to run on W10 Pro. So strange.

Dunno what to suggest, or say..

I've updated to W11 with no issues either.

I'd revert back to W7 if I could as I found that the best, easiest and more user friendly. 10 is all over the place. W11 just scares me.

Previous W10 was Home, but this one was Pro.

Read somewhere others have had trouble installing FS2004 into Pro. Not sure why.

Since Windwos 10 is missing all the required directx microsoft c++, and net thingy libraries, I can see why. So annoying to try and find 10 year+ old threads linking to windows files that aren't easy to find anymore Grrrr.

KABOOM!!!! Fixed.

Have searched a zillion threads and posts trying to track it down. One cause was a FSDT scenery giving messages similar to what I had but it didn't make sense. But I had prior issue with FSDT KORD not installing correctly. Seems it doesn't like W10. Removed all modules and viola! Both remaining sims work.

Both sims had FSDT KORD installed although only one worked. And now zero will work. Paid good money for it too. Bummer.

But at least they work. And I'm back in the game!

Don't count your chickens before they hatch!!!

Of the 3 installs, now 1 doesn't want to run. Splash screen comes up then nothing. For no reason. Nothing changed.

OMG i hate windows 10 with a passion. Fs9 was unkillable until this awful OS came along.

Fact is, Win 10/Win 11 will slowly kill off more and more FS9 users. The problem is, you can't argue against topics like this and users who say there is nothing wrong with Win 10. It's the blind leading the blind. In the background, people have Win 10 issues they can't resolve and will and do just disappear from FS9. The frozen gauges topic is probably the most recent example that comes to mind.

Transferring installs from old PC's running other OS's to Win 10 is always liable to cause major issues.

Mark Daniels

I'm inclined to believe that as one installation works then the problem must be in the other installation and not Win 10.

But... we all know how Win10 can behave. When my XP PC died and I built a Win 10 machine, I had a backup and ported FS9 piecemeal from that into a new folder structure in the new machine. I had no issues other than a few installers failing to run so a few planes were left behind.

After a long struggle to repair the damage done by MS's fall creators' update, I took Winaero and prevented MS from pushing any further 'upgrades' onto the OS. Anyhow, after however many years I still despise the OS even though it no longer causes me any problems: it's ugly and has required dozens of registry and policy tweaks and has not had a major update since sometime in 2020.

Whatever, enough of my whining... To the issue.

On the assumption that it's not Win10 per se, in the still-uncooperative installation, have you tried cutting down your scenery.cfg in notepad to the bare essential layers only, and disabling fs9.cfg to allow fs to rebuild it? That may at least let it launch properly so that you can start adding stuff back in.

D

(if you haven't, and decide to try it, don't forget the backup ;) )

Edited by defaid

I'm inclined to believe that as one installation works then the problem must be in the other installation and not Win 10.

If the installations are identical they will both either work or not work.

The problem with Win 10 becomes add-ons and hardware. After this come legacy components that no longer function flawlessly depending on the software and hardware the user is running. I know this because I get many old games running on Win 10 that stopped working for people.

These issues in Win 10 are far greater than with any other OS. Transferring a FS9 installation to Win 10 from another OS is open to causing all kinds of issues. If you run payware then there are additional issues you may come across that you wouldn’t with most freeware. Changing compatibility modes/admin settings is literal suicide for some add-ons and some FS9 installations. I’ve been trying to get the point across since this thread was started.

Mark Daniels

Well I did get all 3 installs working, minus a few payware add-ons. Removed some modules (not sure why I decided to try there first but I did) and discovered the FSDT issue and also the Level-D didnt seem to like being brought across.

Anyway, enough whinning...or whining? lol.

And I dont run any compatibility / admin mode either.

So we'll see over time what else will have issues. Anyway, so far so good minus the odd add-on.

And I dont run any compatibility / admin mode either.

Mine runs as admin as a matter of course; running without was never tested. I never found compatibility was necessary so that's never been enabled.

Well I did get all 3 installs working,

Each configured differently for different purposes I guess.

Anyway, so far so good minus the odd add-on.

Pretty much what I'd found too. I think an all-in-one port from an old system makes finding such problems more difficult. I was lucky in that sense: folder structure in the new installation was very different to my original so a direct port wasn't possible.

I'm glad it's working.

D

Edited by defaid

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I got a new laptop.. Asus Ryzen 7 500GB SSD, so my storage is a bit limited & I installed FS2004 onto my C:\ drive, then I copied & pasted it to my 2tb portable drive that is permanently plugged in to the laptop.

FS2004 runs perfectly from that portable drive.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

• 1 month later...

I have the original ACOF FS2004 metal box purchsed in 2004. Recently I found out that you can copy the content of the 4 installation discs into 1 folder on your PC and start installation from there. You don't need to shuffle discs in case you need to re-install and you can archive a zipped version of this folder.

1 hour ago, michaelkalinowsk said:

I have the original ACOF FS2004 metal box purchsed in 2004. Recently I found out that you can copy the content of the 4 installation discs into 1 folder on your PC and start installation from there. You don't need to shuffle discs in case you need to re-install and you can archive a zipped version of this folder.

So glad you posted  this. I have had the ACOF F2004 metal box on the shelf since I switched to FSX. But there are so many old 2004 aircraft files on a thumb-drive waiting to fly again. I'm goin to use this method to load FS2004 and share flying time between the two versions.

THANK YOU!

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.