Installing FS2004 into Windows 10 & Copying FS2004 from your OLD PC to your NEW PC

zswobbie1

It's not a great priority since my recording, editing and posting vids are all but over, I just want a simple replacement to fraps in case I do want to record /post/or just share a video...

Fraps will still work fine but it needs one of the programs stated to play back the video correctly. Download VLC. It's excellent and will play just about anything. I use it as my default player for video and audio files.

Mark Daniels

Ty,

I thought I deleted the post where Fraps answered me?

I used Fraps to create the videos in xp and or win7, not used for playback, that was movie maker, now it's TV & Movies in win10...

This video I created with xbox aka (Start key+G) then it saved to Default Videos folder, then I just uploaded it to YouTube.

Now I'm just trying to figure out how to add my trademark rock & roll music to the video...

VLC is on my computer, I see no way, yet, to add music...

TS

Fwiw,, all of my fraps videos had to compressed 90% without losing quality, I don't remember what I used xvid, nch

Regardless, point is, I want to add music to video.

I used to do it with movie maker, I'll get there

TS

Can I ask your system specs?

Sure, not at the computer now but off the top of my head:

I7 4910 MQ (2.9 GHz to 3.9 GHz)

GTX 860M

16 GB ram

Windows 10 64bit

I had this laptop for a while, but never thought to put flight simulator on it. Big improvement in specs from my Windows 7 computer, still not good enough for P3d/xplane/FS2020 though (been using fs2020 on Xbox and loving it). Although I am a bit worried about doing a long haul on this laptop, as the CPU temps are hitting 100 degrees in my initial tests.

Sure, not at the computer now but off the top of my head:

I7 4910 MQ (2.9 GHz to 3.9 GHz)

GTX 860M

16 GB ram

Windows 10 64bit

I had this laptop for a while, but never thought to put flight simulator on it. Big improvement in specs from my Windows 7 computer, still not good enough for P3d/xplane/FS2020 though (been using fs2020 on Xbox and loving it). Although I am a bit worried about doing a long haul on this laptop, as the CPU temps are hitting 100 degrees in my initial tests.

FS9 runs on that computer without using compatibility modes or running as admin?

CPU temps shouldn't be hitting 100 degrees running FS9 on that system. Check how temps are running other things and when the computer is idle.

Mark Daniels

FS9 runs on that computer without using compatibility modes or running as admin?

CPU temps shouldn't be hitting 100 degrees running FS9 on that system. Check how temps are running other things and when the computer is idle.

It runs without compatibility mode, I haven’t tried without running as admin. And yeah, I know. It’s an older laptop and I think the build quality isn’t that great. Definitely not holding up as well as my even older Alienware Windows 7 laptop that I was using before. Not sure there’s too much that I can do, although it could be that I messed up something when I ran throttlestop. I played around with the turbo multiplier, maybe it’s set too high.

It runs without compatibility mode, I haven’t tried without running as admin. And yeah, I know. It’s an older laptop and I think the build quality isn’t that great. Definitely not holding up as well as my even older Alienware Windows 7 laptop that I was using before. Not sure there’s too much that I can do, although it could be that I messed up something when I ran throttlestop. I played around with the turbo multiplier, maybe it’s set too high.

Just wanted to check on the compatibility stuff, was quite certain you wouldn't need it. Run as admin you definitely want to turn off, FS9 should still run perfectly.

Any settings you applied to the CPU, set it all to default.

Mark Daniels

Just wanted to check on the compatibility stuff, was quite certain you wouldn't need it. Run as admin you definitely want to turn off, FS9 should still run perfectly.

Any settings you applied to the CPU, set it all to default.

What’s the reason to not run as admin? I’ve always run as admin ever since I can remember. I always heard that if you don’t, certain addons won’t work properly. Same thing with running installers as admin. I just always thought it was best practice.

I always heard that if you don’t, certain addons won’t work properly. Same thing with running installers as admin.

You run a specific setting "if" there is a specific reason to do so.

Old software on Win 10 can cause issues if running it as admin. When you have something like a base program (FS9) and then a million other add-ons which interact with it, changing admin settings is not a good idea. Things will fail to work somewhere at some point.

I don't think there is any harm running an installer as admin and sometimes it is actually necessary.

Mark Daniels

• 5 months later...

Hey guys, rookie question because I've been out of action for a few months. PC m/b failed and needed a almost complete rebuild. BUmmer.

But I still have my old HDD/SSD installed on it with all my data intact. Phew.

Trying to load up FS9 and I get the not compatible Directx version on the W10 Pro (directx12). FS9 needs directx9 i believe?

I could install a new fs9 version I guess and that will put it on. Is that the best solution?

Dear JSMR,

try the last page (7) Swoobbie's solution, worked like a charm... work backwards to page 5 or 4 for other issues that may occur, registry etc.

ts

Processor Intel® Core™ i5-10400 CPU @ 2.90GHz 2.90 GHz

Installed RAM 16.0 GB (15.9 GB usable)

System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Integrated graphics Intel

Dear JSMR,

try the last page (7) Swoobbie's solution, worked like a charm... work backwards to page 5 or 4 for other issues that may occur, registry etc.

ts

Processor Intel® Core™ i5-10400 CPU @ 2.90GHz 2.90 GHz

Installed RAM 16.0 GB (15.9 GB usable)

System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Integrated graphics Intel

There's nothing there that mentions directx in all 7 pages. If there is, I didnt see it.

"Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi. You're my only hope."

Edited by JSMR

Nope, DX9.0c works a peach with Win 10 (at least I've never had a problem in 4+ years).

Well I installed a fresh verion and that works ok. So I'm guessing it installed directx 9 with it? Yet when I try my previous installs, whether from the HDD or copy it into the main SSD with the OS, I still get the not compatible directx message.

I've used the flight 1 registry tool, yet nothing will make my old install work as per the original instructions. They all say directx isnt installed yet I've tried a new install that works.

Maybe I've missed something somewhere....

Dear JSMR,

I don't know if I'm any help, have you figured it out?

I don't understand your Direct X problem, I'm running Direct x 12, the Copy/paste from Win 7 Dx9 to Win 10 Dx 12 vs 9 was never an issue for me. Fwiw I wouldn't install Dx9 over Dx12 on Win10 computer.

I've gone from xp to 7 to 10 over the years, Using Swobbie's solution only for the latest move from 7 to 10. Prior to that I just reinstalled FS9, then copied my scenery/ aircraft files over the new install scenery/aircraft folders.

I have used msft flight sim since '93 Dos, to Win 3.1, all iterations. It wasn't until xp and fs9/ 2004 that I started adding the freeware scenery and planes, making a "KISS" move more important, not wanting to lose/ reinstall COUNTLESS hrs., of addon scenery/ planes etc.

For this install (swobbie, Keep it simple stupid) I copied/pasted the old Folder from a "mounted" windows 7 WindowsImageBackup image (Win7) D:\Flight Simulator 9 to to a new Windows 10 pc Directly to Win10 C:/ creating the Win10 C:\Flight Simulator 9 folder.

I think it just takes a day to figure out, if I recall this Ain't your first rodeo with fs9. gl, ts

I also got all my original call of duties 1-2, 4, Halo, Wolfenstein RTCW working without/despite steam etc., all original disks from early 2000's...

Screenshot 2022-01-30 084012.jpg

Edited by deauxwolf

Dear JSMR,

I don't know if I'm any help, have you figured it out?

I don't understand your Direct X problem, I'm running Direct x 12, the Copy/paste from Win 7 Dx9 to Win 10 Dx 12 vs 9 was never an issue for me. Fwiw I wouldn't install Dx9 over Dx12 on Win10 computer.

No I haven't figured it out and don't understand it either.

Supposedly Windows 10 pro only has Directx 12. So technically FS9 won't work unless I install either FS9 (dx9 installs during the process?) or download and install dx9.

I installed a fresh copy of Fs2004 and it works. That's ok. What i don't get is using the copy method (not copy and paste over the new install) and using Flight 1 registry tool to add the previous / copied over FS9 from my old HDD.

All other version of FS9 - I have 3 - don't work. All say its because its not compatible because of directx 9 not being installed.

That's the part I don't get. Since a fresh install DOES work. Yet I look in the Windows SYS64 thingy and I see no directx 9 dll's installed.

Head scratch.

In the weeds now...

I always used FSX/FS9 Registry Repair Tool (36KB) not the Flight 1, my system kept blocking flight 1...

https://www.flight1.com/view.asp?page=library get --->(FSX/FS9 Registry Repair Tool (36KB) I also have a post on this thread how to add the registry entry manually by finding the fsx install in the registry, and adding a couple of values...

Scroll down about 7 posts to where I started with a link to: https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/registry-keys-fsx-fsx-se-p3dv1-p3dv2.432633/

Read what I wrote before opening above link: This AM I searched for(where is registry entry for Microsoft Flight Simulator X)and the kind Person above verified I was in the right place in the registry.

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?319047-Installing-FS2004-into-Windows-10-amp-Copying-FS2004-from-your-OLD-PC-to-your-NEW-PC&p=2157184#post2157184

I would 1st try copying your old Addon Scenery files over your new install, and copy your old Aircraft folder over new install aircraft folder.

Then delete your fs9 desktop shortcut, create a new 1 from inside Fs9 main folder, It should go right to desktop, if not cut and paste it to desktop, Rt., click properties, set compatibility mode to windows xp service pack 3, mine is not set to run as administrator under advanced.

Also did you run the Flight Simulator 2004 Update V9.1 no cd crack??

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/2795/flight-simulator-2004-update-v91/

WEEDS r thick GL

I know all of this because I've done it all before when I built a new machine going from W7 to W10. I copied over and made 4 installs. 3 main and a test install. I would just rename and add the registry with flight 1 tool and it would work.

Also I never needed to set compatibility mode doing that. That seemed pointless. And doesn't do anything now anyway.

But this time NONE of what Robin wrote works now for me. I don't know if its W10 Pro related as it doesn't have DirectX 9.0 which is the error I get when clicking the exe.

Strangely a fresh install works. And it could only work WITH dx9 in the machine (I couldn't find any indication of it in windows/SYS64 folder)

Copying over a prior install overwriting the fresh install doesn't work either. As I then get the same message...no dx9 installed despite moments before the overwrite it working.

Maybe time to move on to P3D? Seems to be the new flight sim everyone uses.

Edited by JSMR

Hey guys, rookie question because I've been out of action for a few months. PC m/b failed and needed a almost complete rebuild. BUmmer.

But I still have my old HDD/SSD installed on it with all my data intact. Phew.

Trying to load up FS9 and I get the not compatible Directx version on the W10 Pro (directx12). FS9 needs directx9 i believe?

I could install a new fs9 version I guess and that will put it on. Is that the best solution?

Dear JSMR,

Are you saying your mobo wigged out and you're still using the same HDD, and SSD as your 1st and second drives? Is the SSD is still your Win1O C:\ and HDD is your storage, Or you replaced them both with new mobo, and now they're separate drives/ storage?