Not having had a console, I was wondering what might be the advantages and disadvantages of owning a console as opposed to a PC to run the next generation FS2020?

For instance would I be able to use an old USB MS Forcefeedback joystick with it?

There isn't enough information to say which one would better at the moment. The new Sim is being developed for the PC first, and will be brought to the Xbox some time after that. As the next generation of Xbox is looking fairly powerful, it could be a good option for many as it will cost much less than a mid range PC.

As for using an Xbox, some joysticks are supported, but not all. I wouldn't count on older ones being supported. We also don't know how add-ons will be supported on the Xbox. Right now all add-ons for a given fame have to go through the Xbox store or through the game itself. Downloading and installing an add-ons from Flightsim.com, for example, may not be allowed.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in the throes of deciding exactly what sort of setup that I will need for this new experience, and am confronted by a baffling conundrum.

I don't want a cdesktop PC, and as a pensioner, my budget is somewhat limited.

I've been looking at Gaming Laptops and the Xbox One X, and am having great difficulty identifying just what sort of power goodies the Xbox contains. There is talk of the use of "eight Jaguar CPUs", giving it .processing power "in the ballpark of a current-gen Intel Core i3 processor", but I really suspect that an i3 processor will not cut the mustard.

Then there is the GPU. It is described in Wikipedia as a "Radeon GPU with 40 Compute Units clocked at 1172 MHz, generating 6 teraflops of graphical computing performance", which is about as useful to me as the proverbial Teats on a bull!

Take a look at https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1660-Ti-Laptop-Graphics-Card.386426.0.html which is a review of the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti (Laptop). Nowhere does it mention teraflops. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FLOPS discusses FLOPS all the way from kiloflops to yottaflops, but when it comes to telling me what I'm looking for, presents me with a table of common architectures which show (usually) a single digit for each of Floating Point 16, 32 and 64, with no easy way of determining just what these figures mean in real terms.

Now, I'm not exactly a newby to computers, but am getting a little long in the tooth, and I'm just about to give up on this line of investigation, unless some kind soul out there can provide me with a measure (perhaps rule of thumb) to identify how many teraflops a particular GPU can be considered to generate.

Thanking you in anticipation.

John Glossop

Lapsed FSX scenery developer

I'm in the throes of deciding exactly what sort of setup that I will need for this new experience, and am confronted by a baffling conundrum.

The easy answer right now is that you should wait as we don't know anything about the Xbox version other than it is coming some time after the PC one. A big question is whether it will even run on the current Xbox One or will it only run on the new Xbox to be released next year.

And to add to Loki's and Robin's replies, you can save some money over the next year and perhaps get a slightly better computer for the new sim, as well as more time to do some research. Come next summer we'll have at least SOME additional information. Also, making that decision now could lead you down the wrong path -- there might even be something better and more affordable by this time next year than what's available now.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

I suppose I should come clean and explain my hurry and my motives.

I'm currently sitting in front of my old HP Envy, with a 5th generation i7, contemplating the chances of being selected for the alpha or beta testing, and realizing that my current rig just won't impress the judges.

I enjoyed participating in the FSX Beta, and would appreciate the opportunity to participate again.

So, I'm looking for a machine that will satisfy the tester selectors that I have at least got a rig that will run the new sim.

My contributions to FSX after the release of the sim were mainly in the area of AI (I was part of the ProjectAI team for a fairly long period of time), doing repaints, building flight plans, and designing AFCAD files for various airports.

I'd like to get a "heads up" on just what is included in the sim, and what is likely to still remain open for third party developers - currently, I'm thinking that the answer is - not a lot, but I remain hopeful.

John Glossop

Lapsed FSX scenery developer

I suppose I should come clean and explain my hurry and my motives.

I'm currently sitting in front of my old HP Envy, with a 5th generation i7, contemplating the chances of being selected for the alpha or beta testing, and realizing that my current rig just won't impress the judges.

I wouldn't be worried about impressing them with the latest and greatest. They will presumably want to test the sim on as many different PC setups as possible during the alpha and beta process, including high, mid and low end models.

As for third party developers, Asobo does seem very intent on including them.