Weather engine you use?

TheRedBadger

Most of us should be aware by now that FS9's weather engine is no longer supported.

I've been using FSrealWX lite for a while, however it has some very, very annoying quirks and just doesn't cut it for me sometimes (overcast is paper thin, winds aloft can be off by as much as a full 180 sometimes, and not 20 knot winds, but 100 knot winds... guess that's why I'm here. It nullifies any attempt to have accurate fuel planning if the stupid thing is going to give me completely wrong winds).

What options would y'all look at? Is FSrealWX pro any better? FSmetar? I'd certainly consider a payware if it's not too much ($20-$25). There's FSGlobalWeather (I think that's what it's called), but it appears to be 39 euros... yikes.

Carlos Si

If you have it, use REX for FS2004. I used to do so, until I moved to FSX (barely 2 weeks ago).

Still supported? I've heard of Rex but could've sworn it was no longer supporting FS9.

I use FS Global Real Weather. The nice thing about this one is you can use it on FS9,FSX,PSD,X-PLANE

nebojsa

This one looks great, just not sure if I want to commit /that/ much.

Carlos Si

I also use FSrealWX lite and am becoming displeased with its limitations. I tried the pro version and found it awful and quickly uninstalled it.

I think I'll try FS Global Real Weather. It says it is compatible with FS9.

Nadlzfw

Yeah, it's reliable 70% of the time. Not quite enough for a guy like me! I know it's free but there's certain necessities that have to be met, and that's going to be loading the dang weather right! (especially when the weather itself is already downloaded correctly). Loading it in the first place (as opposed to having the fair weather sit there idle) is also a must.

If you choose to use FSGRW, let us know how it goes!

Carlos Si

Most of us should be aware by now that FS9's weather engine is no longer supported.

I've been using FSrealWX lite for a while, however it has some very, very annoying quirks and just doesn't cut it for me sometimes (overcast is paper thin, winds aloft can be off by as much as a full 180 sometimes, and not 20 knot winds, but 100 knot winds... guess that's why I'm here. .... ).

Look in the settings menu of fsrealwx. There you can set number of cloud layers. You can also set how many degrees at a time the winds change during weather updates. If you happen to have registered fsuipc you can also make changes to wind aloft settings.

You can even change what server provides the weather data for fsrealwx, which also makes a difference.

All that is in fsrealwx-lite.

And of course you can adjust cloud density in "fs-settings-graphics" menu as well. Those settings make a difference also when using fsrealwx.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks, but...

One of my frustrations with FSrealwx lite is menu options that are not clear. I think the underlying problem is that the developers are not native English speaking; also, for some reason the options use a mix of metric and normal units that I find confusing.

Anyway, I have tinkered with the options quite a bit and still wish for better. I agree with you that I could probably find better results in the options, but please, please, offer some more exact advice. I was able to eliminate the intense persistent haze that annoyed me so much, but still am bothered by lack of overcast. If the real weather specifies overcast fairly close to field elevation fsrealwx lite usually gives me blue skies. Is there a tweak in the settings that will fix this???

Thanks! Nadlzfw

So I tried to monkey with the options (for the bazillionth time) and; in fs9: options/settings/display/weather/clouds switch from 'simple' to 'detailed' and set the slider to almost maximum. Clouds now look a lot more varied and realistic, and fog is more gradual. Big improvement!

Haven't run into good visibility under low overcast yet, but winter is coming...

Nadlzfw

For me,sometimes i get overcast weather when it should be clear weather. It does not matter weather i am departing or arriving at a airport. At about 3000 ft it suddenly changes to clear weather if i am departing, and it goes from clear to cloudy when arriving. All at about 3000ft

nebojsa

I'm using FSrealWX and i'm quite happy with it, however I also tried FSGRW, which allows you to get ACARS data with the ifly 737. however when trying to use FSGRW, it would give me a connection error saying it couldn't connect to the servers. i'm fine with FSrealwx though.

You want to make sure your firewall is not blocking it.

It likely isn't because I know your problem has been reported as a common occurrence with FSGRW for some users. I know from my own experience, it can have connection issues but not enough to stop it being completely usable.

Best to check your firewall in your case to be certain the problem is not your end.

Mark Daniels

I have Firewall and everything turned off because the Ifly doesn't like it on. I allowed FSGRW access and it didn't work.

Might be worth trying it again if it only didn't work over say one or two days. Might've just been particularly problematic during that period.

I would rate it better for FS than FSrealWX so if you already have FSGRW, maybe worth giving it another try.

Mark Daniels

This is a topic regarding connection problems on the official forum. There is also a link in there for the latest FSGRW version which apparently addresses some connection issues according to the thread.

You might want to check other threads for anything that may give you some answers.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/fsgrw/connection-problem-with-build-043-t725.html

Good luck! Hope you can get something working.

Mark Daniels

it is only loading 2D clouds and looks like trash.

fsrealwx only gives the weather data. Where clouds are, what temperature it is. (two data servers to choose from).

It also has options for maximum number of cloud layers, how often the weather updates, etc.

What that weather LOOKS like in fs depends on the cloud settings you choose in fs. 3d clouds or not, cloud density setting, etc. (and on what cloud textures you may have installed.).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

fsrealwx only gives the weather data. Where clouds are, what temperature it is. (two data servers to choose from).

It also has options for maximum number of cloud layers, how often the weather updates, etc.

What that weather LOOKS like in fs depends on the cloud settings you choose in fs. 3d clouds or not, cloud density setting, etc. (and on what cloud textures you may have installed.).

I have everything completely maxed out in FS9