Fsx Windows 10

nbata1234

VFR Generation X scenery v3 install problems.

Hi, I have installed FSX on a new PC with windows 10 and the installation is successful.

The problem is loading the Generation X scenery version 3.

The DVD will not load the software.

I have tried a lot of methods to get it working.

1. using the old fashioned Dos command xcopy to copy the files to a single folder and run the setup from there. That fails because of Cyclic Redundancy Check, that could be something to do with copy protection?

2. testing the DVD on another win 10 PC by setting the compatibility to windows 7 service pack 2. the result is that windows says the program will not work (or word to that effect)

3. running the setup, after starting the win 10 PC in some sort of safe mode, the idea being to stop other systems stopping the DVD from working correctly.

And yes the disk is clean and other disks work ok (eg the fsx work fine).

Ideas welcome.

Edited by HuntTheShunt
added a title

Microsoft disabled the SafeDisc or SecureRom feature "secdrv.sys" back in 2015. They published a command prompt workaround to enable/disable it here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3086255/ms15-097-description-of-the-security-update-for-the-graphics-component

You should enable secdrv.sys to install from your disc, then disable it again afterwards.

Edited by tiger1962

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Microsoft disabled the SafeDisc or SecureRom feature "secdrv.sys" back in 2015. They published a command prompt workaround to enable/disable it here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3086255/ms15-097-description-of-the-security-update-for-the-graphics-component

You should enable secdrv.sys to install from your disc, then disable it again afterwards.

Thank you for the fast response.

My system does not have the secdrv.sys so I am stumped. Some advice say use the win7 one, I do not have access to win7.

Another site has a dll called SafeDisc.dll. I have downloaded it but am nervous of doing anything with it. If it is a valid dll it would be a good fix. http://www.dlldownloader.com/safedisc-dll/#Operating-Systems-Compatible-with-the-Safediscdll-File

Ran FSX under Windows 7. Upgraded the computer to Windows 10. No issues, runs fine.

I'm in a similar position, having run FSX in Win 7 for many years and now forced to update to Win 10, so your experience is good news.

Can I ask if you had to re-install FSX after the upgrade or did it simply work as before?

(I have FSX in its own partition if that makes a difference.)

Many thanks.

I upgraded by buying Windows 10 on a memory stick. It was about $ 130, tax included, at the Microsoft store.

The upgrading was a simple as first stick it in, then turn on the computer and follow the prompts. It took time but it was very effortless -- just read a few initial instructions and followed the prompts for a few hours.

Over and above FSX, I had quite a bit on the computer.

Following the upgrade, FSX ran as before. Easy peasy.

The only programs that did not work were a couple very, very old games. 95% of everything on the machine ran perfect.

Edited by Ray Hff

Thank you for the fast response.

My system does not have the secdrv.sys so I am stumped. Some advice say use the win7 one, I do not have access to win7.

Another site has a dll called SafeDisc.dll. I have downloaded it but am nervous of doing anything with it. If it is a valid dll it would be a good fix. http://www.dlldownloader.com/safedisc-dll/#Operating-Systems-Compatible-with-the-Safediscdll-File

Looking more into this...

I have found secdrv.sys on my windows 10 pc, it is located in C:\Windows\SysWOW64\drivers.

If I use the method stated to start this service "sc start secdrv" I get "The specified service does not exist as an installed service"

I am doing all this under admin access.

I upgraded by buying Windows 10 on a memory stick. It was about $ 130, tax included, at the Microsoft store.

The upgrading was a simple as first stick it in, then turn on the computer and follow the prompts. It took time but it was very effortless -- just read a few initial instructions and followed the prompts for a few hours.

Over and above FSX, I had quite a bit on the computer.

Following the upgrade, FSX ran as before. Easy peasy.

The only programs that did not work were a couple very, very old games. 95% of everything on the machine ran perfect.

Many thanks for your very quick reply.

Computers never seem to do what I want them to do, so fingers crossed!

Looking more into this...

I have found secdrv.sys on my windows 10 pc, it is located in C:\Windows\SysWOW64\drivers.

If I use the method stated to start this service "sc start secdrv" I get "The specified service does not exist as an installed service"

I am doing all this under admin access.

If you're right-clicking on the Command Prompt icon and selecting "Run as Administrator", then navigate to your "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\drivers" directory in Command Prompt and follow Microsoft's instructions, it should work for you.

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

If you're right-clicking on the Command Prompt icon and selecting "Run as Administrator", then navigate to your "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\drivers" directory in Command Prompt and follow Microsoft's instructions, it should work for you.

Looking at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3086255/ms15-097-description-of-the-security-update-for-the-graphics-component and using the Administrator Command Prompt at c:\windows\sysWOW64 where the secdrv.sys is located, then using the command sc config secdrv start= demand.

I get [sC] OpenService FAILED 1060:

the specified service does not exist as an installed service.

What do you think I am doing wrong?

Good afternoon to the group,

I was wondering if anyone here is running fsx on WIN 10 and knows if there ‘s any systems issues when flying or installing FSX.

Hi,

All my machines run W10, with no problems whatsoever, as long as you

follow the usual install caveats that apply to any modern Windows OS,

and have decent computer specs, then you should be fine.

I run FS9, FSX and FSXSE, no problems, and personally for me, I think

W10 is the best, most stable windows OS that I have ever used, personally

I love it;)

cheers:D

i7-4770K 4.60 GHz (Hyperthreading off) Liquid Cooling 16GB G-Skill DDR3 GeForce GTX1050Ti 4GB 500GB WD Blue 3D SSD SATA III x4 Creative Sound Z Sound Card 5.1Ch 24BitAvermedia video capture card CH Yoke and Rudder NZXT Fan Controller Windows10 64 Prof FS9 - FSX -FSX-SE Track Hat

Looking at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3086255/ms15-097-description-of-the-security-update-for-the-graphics-component and using the Administrator Command Prompt at c:\windows\sysWOW64 where the secdrv.sys is located, then using the command sc config secdrv start= demand.

I get [sC] OpenService FAILED 1060:

the specified service does not exist as an installed service.

What do you think I am doing wrong?

Try the Regedit method instead. I you can't find the secdrv entry in your registry, it's definitely not installed so it can't be the problem. Have you tried Horizon Simulations support?

Edited by tiger1962

Quick reply, my understanding is that it is all to do with copy protection. Sec = secure Drv = drive.

MS decided, and perhaps correctly that it's operating systems were not secure so blocked many methods used by software developers.

My annoyance is that MS did not add a switch that would activate all old methods used by legacy systems, so that we could decide for ourselves.

All we needed was load old systems or lock-down this PC.

From the net: Secdrv.sys is a device driver and is is part of Macrovision's SafeDisc copy protection scheme. It is designed to prevent the piracy of PC games, but has been controversial since its introduction because of problems it causes on many computers. It poses a potential security risk because it grants ring 0 (kernel) access to the programs it works with.

Quick question I was wondering if anyone knew what the secdrv.sys does in starting FSX?

It has nothing to do with starting FSX.

FSX works just fine on Windows 10.

The advice was in response to this post by "HuntTheShunt" who wants help with "VFR Generation X scenery v3" (Post #7 in this thread):

VFR Generation X scenery v3 install problems.

Hi, I have installed FSX on a new PC with windows 10 and the installation is successful.

The problem is loading the Generation X scenery version 3.

The DVD will not load the software. ........................

Ideas welcome.

--------------------------------

------------------------

HuntTheShunt,

What error message do you get when running the "VFR Generation X scenery v3" Disk/Installer?

Also, you can contact "Horizon Simulations", who make "VFR Generation X scenery v3", for help.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It has nothing to do with starting FSX.

FSX works just fine on Windows 10.

The advice was in response to this post by "HuntTheShunt" who wants help with "VFR Generation X scenery v3" (Post #7 in this thread):

--------------------------------

------------------------

HuntTheShunt,

What error message do you get when running the "VFR Generation X scenery v3" Disk/Installer?

Also, you can contact "Horizon Simulations", who make "VFR Generation X scenery v3", for help.

re:- error...

This app can't run on your PC

To find a version for your PC, check with the software publisher

re:- contact "Horizon Simulations" Done.

Thanks for the info, which installation caveats were you referring to?

Hi

Take a look at the info in these links, I follow them every time, and I very seldom

get any problems,

http://www.simforums.com/forums/the-fsx-computer-system-the-bible-by-nickn_topic46211.html

http://www.simforums.com/forums/nv-inspector-fsx-fsxse-windows-7-8-10-updated_topic59954.html

Although it mainly applies to W7, I have followed them on my W10 setups and they

still seem to be relevant, definitely worth look I reckon ;)

cheers

i7-4770K 4.60 GHz (Hyperthreading off) Liquid Cooling 16GB G-Skill DDR3 GeForce GTX1050Ti 4GB 500GB WD Blue 3D SSD SATA III x4 Creative Sound Z Sound Card 5.1Ch 24BitAvermedia video capture card CH Yoke and Rudder NZXT Fan Controller Windows10 64 Prof FS9 - FSX -FSX-SE Track Hat