Problems With FSX Steam Edition

Hi Everyone,

A few weeks ago, I purchased Microsoft Flight Simulator X - Team Edition for my Windows 10 PC. I have plenty of RAM - 8GB and an NVIDIA graphics card. It ran very smoothly with no lagging for the last week or two. Then recently, about a week ago, it would load, reach 100%, then I would get a blue spinning cursor, and it would CTD. I then tried deleting the FSX SE - Logbook File, no effect, I have tried deleting the FSX SE - Config files, still no effect, I then tried to reinstall FSX SE, it would other pass 100% and display the virtual cockpit, but then immediately within 5 seconds, I would again get a blue spinning cursor, and it would CTD after 10-15 seconds. I have also checked and double checked Windows Event Viewer, it didn’t come up with any errors and it did not point to any DLL files, it just said “FSX stopped interacting with Windows, and so the application was suspended.” A few days, before my FSX SE stopped working completely, I noticed some strange behaviour, when I accessed the AI traffic, or any of the “Right Click Menu Options”, it would hang/freeze, eg, it would not crash it would just cease all activity, and there was no interaction with the program at all, and then after 10-15 seconds, it would then CTD. I am completely baffled by why my FSX SE would work for 2 weeks, and then cease working completely. Also, before it stopped working completely, when the first symptoms started occurring, it would load certain dates and times, and locations ok, for around 10 minutes before CTD, but it would never say “Load any London Airport or location at say 05:57am”, I also started having first symptoms, after I installed the UK2000’s - East Midlands, Newcastle, Bournemouth and Doncaster Sheffield Scenery. It would always not have any problems with any of the other UK2000s scenery, such as Birmingham, Manchester or Edinburgh etc, until it stopped working completely. I have also deleted and tried FSX with and without the UIAutomationCore DLL file, but either way made no difference at all.

If anyone could offer any advice or if anyone knows how to fix these problems, I would be very grateful.

Kind regards,

From Edward Powell

Try this:

To verify your game files please do the following:

1. Load the Steam platform and log into your account

2. Click the Library tab in the menu at the top of the screen

3. Click the List View from the view options on the top right of the screen

4. Right click on Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition to bring up a popup menu

5. Click on Properties from the popup menu to bring up another popup box

6. Click on Local files from the popup box menu

7. Click on Verify integrity of game cache from the Local file options

8. Wait for the progress bar to finish verifying your files. Additional files may download

9. Restart Steam

10. Restart Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Just as an aside, 8 gigs of RAM is barley enough for complex scenery (because available RAM is always reduced via the cache routine), and may lead to much lower frame rates.

But I cannot figure out what your problem is with FSX-Steam. I signed-up exactly fours years ago, and though there were some problems along the way, they all got resolved. Hope you find a solution to get flying again...

Here are a few extracts/copy and pastes from my Windows Event Viewer Program:

ERROR 1}

Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.62615.0, time stamp: 0x559f9a9a

Faulting module name: sim1.dll, version: 10.0.62615.0, time stamp: 0x559f9ab4

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x00085254

Faulting process id: 0x1e88

Faulting application start time: 0x01d585e36ae96c09

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\fsx.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\sim1.dll

Report Id: 2b9cea93-5847-4b66-8ab3-92d510ffcd6b

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

ERROR 2}

Fault bucket 431136566, type 1

Event Name: APPCRASH

Response: Not available

Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:

P1: fsx.exe

P2: 10.0.61355.0

P3: 4643ee0a

P4: sim1.dll

P5: 10.0.61355.0

P6: 4643f2aa

P7: c0000005

P8: 0006d354

P9:

P10:

Attached files:

\\?\C:\Users\Dell\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\fsx.CFG.txt

\\?\C:\Users\Dell\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\dxdiag.txt

\\?\C:\Users\Dell\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\scenery.cfg

\\?\C:\Users\Dell\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\fdr.dat

\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER590B.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER5969.tmp.xml

\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER5A53.tmp.csv

\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER5AD1.tmp.txt

These files may be available here:

\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_fsx.exe_10e89c8b8ef2fb217a9e9fc6915afde616a8e48_00000000_264a0c88-2f08-4aab-881c-ad92955b0e6a

Analysis symbol:

Rechecking for solution: 0

Report Id: dac10a6c-499d-408e-8b62-78134b1f0e0d

Report Status: 268435456

Hashed bucket: d4dd1865e277b67901ea24906ad87cbc

Cab Guid: 0

ERROR 3}

Ending a Windows Installer transaction: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\LegacyInterfaces\FSX-XPACK\SimConnect.msi. Client Process Id: 15620.

ERROR 4}

The program fsx.exe version 10.0.62615.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.

Process ID: 2868

Start Time: 01d581c74c05067d

Termination Time: 142

Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\fsx.exe

Report Id: 258f503d-6bde-4abd-b04a-f4945162c5fa

Hang type: Unknown

ERROR 5}

The program fsx.exe version 10.0.62615.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.

Process ID: 2868

Start Time: 01d581c74c05067d

Termination Time: 142

Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\fsx.exe

Report Id: 258f503d-6bde-4abd-b04a-f4945162c5fa

Hang type: Unknown

ERROR 6}

Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.62615.0, time stamp: 0x559f9a9a

Faulting module name: API.DLL, version: 10.0.62615.0, time stamp: 0x559f9ab5

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x00100043

Faulting process id: 0x440c

Faulting application start time: 0x01d580ee5577e3ae

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\fsx.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\API.DLL

Report Id: aee38bfb-7373-445d-aea3-b56600455f43

-------------------------------------------------------------

I have also noticed that when I am selecting a player aircraft, the aircraft starts off as high quality, but then a few seconds later, the aircraft model goes very poor quality, and all the the textures go poorer, more dark, and any text or wording on the plane, goes blurry or double vision like. I have also tried to move away my traffic files, and test the game with anything else still there, eg, the addon scenery, now it did load this time successfully, but say at UK2000 Scenery (London Heathrow), the game strangely merged both the stock heathrow airport, and the UK2000 scenery Heathrow Airport. I then added say 5 out of 42 of my virtual airline traffic files, and immediately after closing the game, building a scenery library again, and starting a game/free flight, it reached 100% and then I got a blue spinning cursor, and then after 10-15 seconds it CTD.

I ram fsx on a pc that had just one Gb ram. Worked just fine.

No high framerates, but definitely no crashes either.

Ram is not the issue.

The "faulting module" (the module that crashes when fsx crashes) will point to the actual cause.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi,

I don't know whether this may help, but looking at the 2 faulting modules,

the sim1.dll seems to point to a multiplayer issue, and the API.dll

may be a problem with DX10, if you are running that.

Looking at these posts, it may be a problem with a texture or a lighting

issue.

Have a look at the following links, they may be of some help to you, sorry

I can't offer any definite answer :(

https://steamcommunity.com/app/314160/discussions/0/494631967656716673/

https://forums.flightsimlabs.com/index.php?/topic/6463-resolved-apidll-crash/

hope you can get it sorted

good luck

i7-4770K 4.60 GHz (Hyperthreading off) Liquid Cooling 16GB G-Skill DDR3 GeForce GTX1050Ti 4GB 500GB WD Blue 3D SSD SATA III x4 Creative Sound Z Sound Card 5.1Ch 24BitAvermedia video capture card CH Yoke and Rudder NZXT Fan Controller Windows10 64 Prof FS9 - FSX -FSX-SE Track Hat

• 3 weeks later...

Hello there all,

I have just recently bought a new computer:

DELL XPS 8500

Windows 10 Professional

16GB RAM

3TB Hard Drive (HDD1)

2TB Hard Drive (HDD2)

AMD Athlon ™ R9 380 Series - Graphics Card

I have downloaded FSX Steam Edition, on my main C Drive, where my Windows operating system, is also located on. It ran fine for a while, but then FSX SE would just hang, and the sound just wherrs, and then it comes up with a windows error reporting dialog, and then it crashes completely to the desktop. Since getting my new computer, FSX SE worked brilliantly for a day or two, and then the same issues as my last computer started happening again.

I can view different AI Aircraft, such as my AI Traffic Flightplans, for my virtual fictional airline, which I created. However, after a while, the game will either crash after 30-45 minutes, say if I am in or near London, but if I go to say Edinburgh at say 07:57am it will crash within a few seconds. I have tried starting up, and loading the game in Edinburgh at different times, the game crashes within varying time periods. It is almost like it is an AI Aircraft, that has an error, I tried each single traffic file with 1 single aircraft in individually, and it still crashed after a few minutes, but if I remove all of the AI Flightplans, it doesn't crash at all.

So how can each one, still affect FSX SE, but when I remove all of the AI Flightplans, it works fine? It seems as if there is an actually a problem, perhaps with a flightplan, and not with a specific aircraft, are there any FSX tools, that kind find errors, in either aircraft, scenery or flightplans files? Even if I have to download seperate tools, which I don't mind doing? Also, I forgot to mention, just now, that on my new computer, when it crashes, there is now no faulting module, stated in Windows Event Viewer at all now.

I applied the "FSX HIGHMEMORY FIX", I was able to fully load and travel around Glasgow and Edinburgh Airports, for around 10-15 minutes this time. FSX Steam Edition, did seem much more stable, or so I thought, only to find that a few seconds later, FSX Steam Edition crashed again, but this time, in Windows Event Viewer, it didn't appear to be an ApplicationHang issue, this time it said it was classed as an APPCRAH, it showed the faulting module this time as Nt.dll Here are some new screenshots, of my Windows Event Viewer Reports below.

Screenshot4.jpg

Screenshot5.jpg

Screenshot6.jpg

Kind regards and yours sincerely,

From Edward Powell

As far as I can see from these screenshots, the failing module name is ntdll.dll.

This is not an error from FSX:SE, but from you Windows installation.

What you need to do is to google "ntdll.dll error" or a similar string, and then look at the possible causes and apply the fixes as applicable to your particular system - there will be a lot of possible causes and fixes!

Jorgen

It seems as if there is an actually a problem, perhaps with a flightplan, and not with a specific aircraft...

I've searched on "ntdll.dll error" (which Jorgen identified) in combination with "AI Traffic".

Guess what? It actually IS one single aircraft with a corrupted texture that can cause (iow already has caused) this error.

You have identified a quick and easy error recreation flight (Edinburgh 07:57am). Think you need to start there, and bring in your AI flightplans one by one, until you get the crash... Once you've identified the AI flightplan, another elimination process for the faulty aircraft is at hand.

Wim

b727fcaptain.jpgx701captain5.jpg

Hi there,

Many thanks for your input. I tried a program called DXTFixer, which fixes corrupted aircraft textures. There were a few aircraft, and airport objects, that had faulty textures, which are now fixed. However, I just ran FSX Steam Edition early this afternoon, and it ran for around 15-20 minutes, but when I moved my user/player aircraft to Newcastle Airport, I used the right click function, to get to the usual in game menu, to go to fixed view mode, and to view what AI aircraft where in the area, at that time, but then all of a sudden, FSx Steam Edition froze and then CTD, when I selected a button, after bringing up the right click menu. I checked Windows Event Viewer, for the error code or faulting module report, but there was no error report at all, so I was unable to find any faulting module, or dll error information.

Kind regards,

From Edward Powell

Hi, also I forgot to mention. I loaded up Edinburgh successfully at 07:57am. It worked ok, but then I decided to check out some of the other airports around the UK. It worked fine for around 15-20 minutes, but when I moved my user/player aircraft to Newcastle Airport, I used the right click function, to get to the usual in game menu, to go to fixed view mode, and to view what AI aircraft where in the area, at that time, but then all of a sudden, FSx Steam Edition froze and then CTD, when I selected a button, after bringing up the right click menu. I checked Windows Event Viewer, for the error code or faulting module report, but there was no error report at all, so I was unable to find any faulting module, or dll error information.

I really hope my game is fixed soon, I am completely baffled by why my game isn't working correctly. I started with checking out my fictional airline traffic/flightplans and UK2000 scenery files, and I bringed them in my AI flightplans one by one, until I got the crash... But it did so with every one. So either there is something wrong with all of my AI Traffic Files, or my computer doesn't like having any AI traffic being active. But I don't understand how FSX worked fine for like 2 months, on my old PC, then it stopped working altogether, and not it only works for 15-20 minutes, regardless of what I am doing in the game, on either computer.

The weak point in this system is the graphics card:

1. It's an AMD, not so big a problem as

2. There's only 1 GB of VRAM on the card.

In your case, I would get a nVidia card with at least 4 GB of VRAM on it. The UK2000 sceneries could very well cause you to run out of VRAM.

Jorgen

Edit: A PS: I just came home from a week in Edinburgh on Tuesday......

Edit edit: go here to optimize your system and FSX: https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?259352-FSX-P3D-Software-and-Hardware-Tweaking-Guide

Edited by jorgen.s.andersen

Bingo! I have just typed into Google the problems I am experiencing, I found a forum post on a another flight sim forum, that said, try and replace the FSX Steam Edition UIAC.dll file, with the Windows System32 UIAutomationCore.dll file, and I ran FSX SE again, and it seems a lot more stable, although on many occasions I have spoke too soon, so no doubt I will have to return to this forum in short order, but fingers crossed! The FSX SE UIAC.dll file was version 6.0.6001.18000, and the Windows System32 one was version 7.2.18362.1 Edited by edwardstpowell