Can't Power Off - Battery/Generator/Avionics Switches Not Working

scott_295

I just discovered this problem today: after parking my plane and shutting down the engines, I turned the battery off but nothing happened. Tried the avionics switch, as well, but still nothing. Restarted the plane and shut off both the generator switch(es) and avionics switch but nothing turns off.

Doesn't matter which plane I'm flying, either.

Ideas?

If the pilot's good, see, I mean, if he's really sharp, he can barrel that baby in so low... hee hee. Oh, you ought to see it sometime, it's a sight. A big plane like a 52 - vrooom! Ha! Its jet exhaust frying chickens in the barnyard! Ha ha! - Gen Buck Turgidson

That's kind of interesting! Do you start your flights in a cold and dark scenario where you have to turn on everything and start your engines? Is the battery on then also? Are you starting a brand new flight and not using a "saved flight"?

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Do you start your flights in a cold and dark scenario where you have to turn on everything and start your engines?

Many times, yes, but not always. And when I have, I've never had a problem.

Is the battery on then also?

Yep.

Are you starting a brand new flight and not using a "saved flight"?

No. I always load a saved flight and then, at some point, save it with a different name.

Some things I've recently downloaded:

• Piaggio P-180. Flew it briefly but deleted it.

• HMS Bounty. A tall ship you can sail. It was fun for a couple days. Pretty challenging to tack, tho.

• ILH-TCAS. Some module required by something or other (maybe the Piaggio) that I didn't install. However, I noticed some lines referencing it in the FSUIPC.ini file.

• rcbgh-40. A module that controls ground speed and push back. Worked fine. It did come with a line for the panel.cfg file to insert a button icon (like the ATC or Map icons, etc) on the 2D panel but I didn't use it and I can't imagine that would affect anything.

• an autosave module that saves a flight automatically every so often. Been using this one a while and have had no problems, that I've noticed.

If the pilot's good, see, I mean, if he's really sharp, he can barrel that baby in so low... hee hee. Oh, you ought to see it sometime, it's a sight. A big plane like a 52 - vrooom! Ha! Its jet exhaust frying chickens in the barnyard! Ha ha! - Gen Buck Turgidson

Just so I'm not confused (my normal state) When you start your flight in a cold and dark scenario, your battery is on before you actually switch it on?

Anything in any of your aircraft.cfg that states that "Battery is always available"?

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Just so I'm not confused (my normal state) When you start your flight in a cold and dark scenario, your battery is on before you actually switch it on?

If I'm starting in a cold & dark scenario, no, the battery isn't on. I would have switched it off before saving the flight. The first thing I do after I load a flight is turn it on.

Anything in any of your aircraft.cfg that states that "Battery is always available"?

Yes, in the the HMS Bounty's aircraft.cfg. But, nothing in the other planes I checked.

However, when I was finished playing around with the Bounty, I switched aircraft to the King Air 350. I did save the flight after switching but used the same name.

Thinking that might have something to do with it, just now I loaded a flight from 2 weeks ago when everything was still working. The plane is the 182RG. In the flight, I have the AP on. I hit the keystroke to turn the battery off and nothing happened. The switch on the 2D panel turns off, however.

The other planes I checked previously are the King Air 350 and the Cessnas 208B & 172. Just now I checked the Cessna 208 and the Lear45, after loading an even older flight. Every time I turn the battery off, nothing happens.

Now, here's the weird thing. After checking the Lear, I ended the flight. But then I got another idea, so I loaded the flight from 2 weeks ago, the one with the 182RG.

Instead of hitting the keystroke for the battery, I clicked the button on the 2D panel. Voilá. It works again. And so does the keystroke, now.

I just got done checking about a half dozen planes and everything's kosher, again.

So, basically what happened was:

• the keystroke quit working

• I clicked the switch on the 2D panel and it works

• the keystroke works again

WTH?

Got an explanation? 'Cause I'm at a loss

Edited by scott_295

Thanks anyway.

It was that aircraft.cfg file for the HMS Bounty.

I had closed FS9 and when I restarted it the problem had come back. I closed it again, went into that .cfg file and found this...

electric_always_available = 1

...which I changed to "0".

Restarted FS9 and the problem went away.