Tablet as extra monitor

gx22

I added an extra monitor to display instruments. This is not a physical monitor. It is a tablet which is connected to the PC via Wifi as virtual monitor. I install the Spacedesk apps on both pc and my Android tablet. It is very responsive if Wifi is good. The size of tablet is good for instruments. Touch screen gives a feeling of touching the buttons on the instrument. I recommend at least a 10 inch tablet. I display 3 instruments on it.

https://spacedesk.net/

• 1 month later...

I use Spacedesk since some days with a Samsung 10.5 tablet and can confirm it's a great tool as I can move my Pilot2Atc plugin on the separate "tablet screen" (just as with a second monitor).

But as I fly with Prepar3d, I have to start the simulator completely before I make the connection from the tablet, else the simulator exits with a "cannot initialize DX11" (or similar). Don't know if this is an issue for FSX.

Also, Spacedesk knows only two resolutions: the native tablet's resolution and a minimal resolution that defaults to 1024x768 but can be changed in the settings of the android Spacedesk client. I changed it to half the screen size of the tablet (1260 x 800) to avoid aliasing effects.

I checked the network transfer rate while doing some actions on the tablet screen and was surprised that only some KB/s to low MB/s were transfered, it seems, Spacedesk does some compression or transfers only the differences. Regarding CPU it uses 10-20% of a 4790K core.

I bought FSradiopanel, which in fact provides not only a radio panel, but also a basic PFD (primary digital instruments), moving map, gear and flaps panel, autopilot and more. I use it with 3 Android phones and 1 tablet and it's a great addition to the 4K primary and FullHD secondary screens!

But I was wondering if there's a way to see a complete Garmin G1000 PFD on the tablet and Spacedesk seems to be worth trying.

As for touch screen, it's great for buttons, good for handles, but so far quite a disasters for knobs (turning them). Sliding is supported with FSradiopanel, but it's a fight. So much that I'm thinking of purchasing some HW, i.e. HW autopilot panel.

Downside of Spacedesk, I expect, would be that the extra screen is still processed by the PC, specifically the image by the GPU. Having a 4K+FullHD on i7 notebook is already a bit of stretch, one extra monitor might be too much. With native Android apps like FSradiopanel, the external device gets only data (altitude, speed, flaps settings, etc.) and it creates itself an image of the panel(s). The performance impact is unrecognizable, I'd say.

Edited by OakLD