Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Microsoft's FS2020 sim breakthrough?

  1. Default Microsoft's FS2020 sim breakthrough?

    Ive been away from the flight sim hobby for over three years but my interest has been re_ignited having recently watched several MSFS_2020 videos. Stunning stuff indeed! But I wonder how the competitors will cope?? for example will xplane survive Microsoft's apparent quantum leap in scenery detail?? and will Steve Borick's up and coming Nextgen Flight Sim be a threat to MSFS2020?
    [I assume that the nextgen sim must be about ready for realease by now, since the last I heard they were planning some years ago for a 2019 - 2020 release

    Exciting times ahead
    Last edited by ReesFlights; 10-13-2019 at 12:08 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    It's a little cold outside right now.
    Posts
    7,691

    Default

    I don't think anyone has heard anything about the so called NextGen flight sim in quite some time. It would be a little surprising if it was still going, let alone able to match the upcoming sim from Microsoft. As for the other sims, like X-Plane, we will need to wait and see how the developers respond. In X-Plane's favour is that it is really the pet project of Mr. Meyer, and has survived this long because of that.

  3. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by loki View Post
    As for the other sims, like X-Plane, we will need to wait and see how the developers respond. In X-Plane's favour is that it is really the pet project of Mr. Meyer, and has survived this long because of that.
    True. and I guess a lot of simmers have a lot of money invested in xplane addons, that they arent going to chuck in a hurry

    Quote Originally Posted by loki View Post
    I don't think anyone has heard anything about the so called NextGen flight sim in quite some time. It would be a little surprising if it was still going.
    So NGIS have quit then! I just assumed from their videos that are still up on youtube, and from the Nexgen forums that are still live here on Flightsim:com, that NGIS werent 'full of it' after all.
    Oh well. Another one bites the dust, as they say.

    Thanks for the heads up
    (I should have checked the NGIS forum posts and dates before posting)

    Forum: NGFS - News
    Everything we can tell you about our development.

    https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/forum...p?94-NGFS-News

    #
    Last edited by ReesFlights; 10-14-2019 at 11:42 AM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro
    Posts
    1,395
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Read today a front page feature in CNN site

    I was appalled that the CEO of the company in partner with Microsoft developping the game said:
    "I started taking flying lessons so I could better understand the principles of flying that we are going to have to put in the game"

    I thought WHAAAT? taking flying lessons only now? You dont get a grip of aviation by just starting to take an interest on it
    Aviation develops in each one of us since we are kids...not to mention airline Captain, comms, regulations, weather...

    A fresh PP has not even 5% of the notion about flying, a sophisticated simulator requires experienced pilots or retired pilots in the making, not just a s Beta testers!!
    Kapitan
    Anything I say is...not as serious as you think

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Westminster, CO
    Posts
    6,905

    Default

    Aviation develops in each one of us since we are kids...not to mention airline Captain, comms, regulations, weather...
    It's different for different people. AND, this is only one of many developers saying that -- what's the background of the others? Besides, it doesn't have to start as a kid in order to become an experienced pilot -- I know of several who started late and still became quite good.

    So you don't have to have a lifelong passion to become a good pilot and find out about experiences, especially if you are willing to listen to and learn from those who have the experience. Not ONE of us has had all the experiences that we learn from -- not one, unless that one is ill-informed.

    a sophisticated simulator requires experienced pilots or retired pilots in the making, not just a s Beta testers!!
    I'll disagree with that, up to a point. That type of input is needed, but it doesn't have to be the actual programmers with all that experience IF they listen to those who DO have the experience. I applaud the fact that he is willing to learn by doing, getting involved with the field so he can learn what's needed (it doesn't have to ALL be HIS experience).

    So there's no need to be "appalled" at what you read. Ease off, please, and lets find out what they actually wind up with when it's completed, instead of trying to pre-judge it based on a pre-Alpha version and a CNN article.

    Larry N.

    As Skylab would say:
    Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

  6. #6

    Default

    Gracious...
    I thought I was in an Av__m forum for a moment.
    Well said, Larry!
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kapitan View Post
    Read today a front page feature in CNN site

    I was appalled that the CEO of the company in partner with Microsoft developping the game said:
    "I started taking flying lessons so I could better understand the principles of flying that we are going to have to put in the game"

    I thought WHAAAT? taking flying lessons only now? You dont get a grip of aviation by just starting to take an interest on it
    Aviation develops in each one of us since we are kids...not to mention airline Captain, comms, regulations, weather...

    A fresh PP has not even 5% of the notion about flying, a sophisticated simulator requires experienced pilots or retired pilots in the making, not just a s Beta testers!!
    Er no it doesn't: What a sophisticated simulator needs is advanced programmers who can tell what the sim needs, and program it... more advanced-ly.

    Flight Simulator is not now, and never has been, about `needing` anything more than that. As sophisticated simulators require more advanced replication of near real world practices and procedures we may get close to the days when ONLY real pilots (or retired pilots) will have access to it, but we are still a long way from that day. Even after Flight Simulator 2020 is released.
    There is still no substitute for real-world simulation in the basics.

  8. #8

    Default

    Lol.. I just got a 1st warning, and my post deleted from AVSIM, in reply to a post that said P3D will die, when MSFS is released.
    My reply was that P3D is a commercial product, not for entertainment, & MSFS, according to its EULA, on their site, says its for non commercial use.. In my warning, I was told that AVSIM does not permit discussing P3D's licensing.
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Halifax, West Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    1,668

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zswobbie1 View Post
    My reply was that P3D is a commercial product, not for entertainment, & MSFS, according to its EULA, on their site, says its for non commercial use.. In my warning, I was told that AVSIM does not permit discussing P3D's licensing.
    Join the club, Robin! AVSIM has become too ridiculous for me... and I agree with you 100% about P3D, it won't die at all because of MSFS, it'll at last be used only by those who are supposed to be using it LOL!
    Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-Z270X-Gaming 7, Intel i5-7600k 3.80GHz OC'd 4.2GHz, NZXT X62 Kraken, 16Gb 3500MHz Ram, 1TB & 2TB Samsung Hybrid SSD's, LG DVDRW, NVidia GTX1050Ti 4Gb, Phanteks Enthoo Pro M case, CH Yoke & Pedals, Asus K272HL 27" Monitor, Windows 7 x64

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tiger1962 View Post
    Join the club, Robin! AVSIM has become too ridiculous for me... and I agree with you 100% about P3D, it won't die at all because of MSFS, it'll at last be used only by those who are supposed to be using it LOL!
    It's their forum, and theirs to run as they see fit.
    Matters not the facts of any matter. If they want to see it with witless eyes, who are we to argue with `them`..? `Ridiculous` is only for those that see it that way.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 58
    Last Post: 07-17-2019, 03:56 PM
  2. I've had a Breakthrough!!!
    By RyanbATC in forum FS2004
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-22-2006, 03:27 PM
  3. Breakthrough on CTD problems with AFCAD files
    By nigelgrant in forum FS2004
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-26-2004, 12:16 PM
  4. Major breakthrough on yahoo.com
    By burner in forum The Outer Marker
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-03-2003, 02:54 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •