Microsoft's FS2020 sim breakthrough?

ReesFlights

Ive been away from the flight sim hobby for over three years but my interest has been re_ignited having recently watched several MSFS_2020 videos. Stunning stuff indeed! But I wonder how the competitors will cope?? for example will xplane survive Microsoft's apparent quantum leap in scenery detail?? and will Steve Borick's up and coming Nextgen Flight Sim be a threat to MSFS2020?

[i assume that the nextgen sim must be about ready for realease by now, since the last I heard they were planning some years ago for a 2019 - 2020 release

Exciting times ahead

Edited by ReesFlights

I don't think anyone has heard anything about the so called NextGen flight sim in quite some time. It would be a little surprising if it was still going, let alone able to match the upcoming sim from Microsoft. As for the other sims, like X-Plane, we will need to wait and see how the developers respond. In X-Plane's favour is that it is really the pet project of Mr. Meyer, and has survived this long because of that.

As for the other sims, like X-Plane, we will need to wait and see how the developers respond. In X-Plane's favour is that it is really the pet project of Mr. Meyer, and has survived this long because of that.

True. and I guess a lot of simmers have a lot of money invested in xplane addons, that they arent going to chuck in a hurry

I don't think anyone has heard anything about the so called NextGen flight sim in quite some time. It would be a little surprising if it was still going.

So NGIS have quit then! I just assumed from their videos that are still up on youtube, and from the Nexgen forums that are still live here on Flightsim:com, that NGIS werent 'full of it' after all.

Oh well. Another one bites the dust, as they say.

Thanks for the heads up

(I should have checked the NGIS forum posts and dates before posting)

Forum: NGFS - News

Everything we can tell you about our development.

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/forumdisplay.php?94-NGFS-News

#

Edited by ReesFlights

Read today a front page feature in CNN site

I was appalled that the CEO of the company in partner with Microsoft developping the game said:

"I started taking flying lessons so I could better understand the principles of flying that we are going to have to put in the game"

I thought WHAAAT? taking flying lessons only now? You dont get a grip of aviation by just starting to take an interest on it

Aviation develops in each one of us since we are kids...not to mention airline Captain, comms, regulations, weather...

A fresh PP has not even 5% of the notion about flying, a sophisticated simulator requires experienced pilots or retired pilots in the making, not just a s Beta testers!!

Kapitan

Anything I say is...not as serious as you think

Aviation develops in each one of us since we are kids...not to mention airline Captain, comms, regulations, weather...

It's different for different people. AND, this is only one of many developers saying that -- what's the background of the others? Besides, it doesn't have to start as a kid in order to become an experienced pilot -- I know of several who started late and still became quite good.

So you don't have to have a lifelong passion to become a good pilot and find out about experiences, especially if you are willing to listen to and learn from those who have the experience. Not ONE of us has had all the experiences that we learn from -- not one, unless that one is ill-informed.

a sophisticated simulator requires experienced pilots or retired pilots in the making, not just a s Beta testers!!

I'll disagree with that, up to a point. That type of input is needed, but it doesn't have to be the actual programmers with all that experience IF they listen to those who DO have the experience. I applaud the fact that he is willing to learn by doing, getting involved with the field so he can learn what's needed (it doesn't have to ALL be HIS experience).

So there's no need to be "appalled" at what you read. Ease off, please, and lets find out what they actually wind up with when it's completed, instead of trying to pre-judge it based on a pre-Alpha version and a CNN article.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

I was appalled that the CEO of the company in partner with Microsoft developping the game said:

"I started taking flying lessons so I could better understand the principles of flying that we are going to have to put in the game"

I thought WHAAAT? taking flying lessons only now? You dont get a grip of aviation by just starting to take an interest on it

A fresh PP has not even 5% of the notion about flying, a sophisticated simulator requires experienced pilots or retired pilots in the making, not just a s Beta testers!!

Er no it doesn't: What a sophisticated simulator needs is advanced programmers who can tell what the sim needs, and program it... more advanced-ly.

Flight Simulator is not now, and never has been, about `needing` anything more than that. As sophisticated simulators require more advanced replication of near real world practices and procedures we may get close to the days when ONLY real pilots (or retired pilots) will have access to it, but we are still a long way from that day. Even after Flight Simulator 2020 is released.

There is still no substitute for real-world simulation in the basics.

Lol.. I just got a 1st warning, and my post deleted from AVSIM, in reply to a post that said P3D will die, when MSFS is released.

My reply was that P3D is a commercial product, not for entertainment, & MSFS, according to its EULA, on their site, says its for non commercial use.. In my warning, I was told that AVSIM does not permit discussing P3D's licensing.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

My reply was that P3D is a commercial product, not for entertainment, & MSFS, according to its EULA, on their site, says its for non commercial use.. In my warning, I was told that AVSIM does not permit discussing P3D's licensing.

Join the club, Robin! AVSIM has become too ridiculous for me... and I agree with you 100% about P3D, it won't die at all because of MSFS, it'll at last be used only by those who are supposed to be using it LOL! ;)

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Join the club, Robin! AVSIM has become too ridiculous for me... and I agree with you 100% about P3D, it won't die at all because of MSFS, it'll at last be used only by those who are supposed to be using it LOL! ;)

It's their forum, and theirs to run as they see fit.

Matters not the facts of any matter. If they want to see it with witless eyes, who are we to argue with `them`..? `Ridiculous` is only for those that see it that way. :rolleyes:

Lol.. I just got a 1st warning, and my post deleted from AVSIM

lol

I got warnings, told half my posts have been a negative on the flight sim community, that my uploads are worthless and currently my posts are under moderator approval. Haven't posted there since, haven't posted anywhere really until a couple of hours ago. AVSIM are a joke.

Mark Daniels

Yeah, I too have a few posts deleted at Avsim over the years: Too controversial, I guess, for all the kiddies out there who can read. One topic was a discussion of intellectual property with regards to EULA agreements. The Main Man at PMDG preferred to cut short any further discourse involving that subject...

Im calm

I loved the preview with all the Bing landclass 3d images streamed online, (not only will require a power PC but the best internet you can sign), but the planes, as you saw, and as we have seen in the MS Flight (also loved the previews back then) attempt were basic single engine, probably because the people involved in the project are all taking flying lessons in just that, so thats what they can put in the game.

The problem we love to fly all sorts of complex plane and flying procedures, specially comms offline.

Meaning I want to be able to fly and communicate with tower for instrument approaches in a more reallistic way than the current "fly runway heading..." or "clear to land"

As for the terrain graphics, we have the stream thing since Tileproxy back in 2002, thou not in 3D

And to leave the sim ready to complex payware addons that will need all the physics as real as possible for the cockpit addon to calculate or consider. But...if people programming the game are just ultra light weekend gliders... gaming will suffer.

What is P3d? its a sim by aviation people (Lockheed Martin) with aviation oriented goals.

Thats why it has endured. However, they are stuck with the old fsx core.

No pilots or retired aviation engeneers and pilots involved? No future for the game as a sim.

Edited by Kapitan

Kapitan

Anything I say is...not as serious as you think

Im calm

I loved the preview with all the Bing landclass 3d images streamed online, (not only will require a power PC but the best internet you can sign), but the planes, as you saw, and as we have seen in the MS Flight (also loved the previews back then) attempt were basic single engine, probably because the people involved in the project are all taking flying lessons in just that, so thats what they can put in the game.

The problem we love to fly all sorts of complex plane and flying procedures, specially comms offline.

Meaning I want to be able to fly and communicate with tower for instrument approaches in a more reallistic way than the current "fly runway heading..." or "clear to land"

As for the terrain graphics, we have the stream thing since Tileproxy back in 2002, thou not in 3D

And to leave the sim ready to complex payware addons that will need all the physics as real as possible for the cockpit addon to calculate or consider. But...if people programming the game are just ultra light weekend gliders... gaming will suffer.

What is P3d? its a sim by aviation people (Lockheed Martin) with aviation oriented goals.

Thats why it has endured. However, they are stuck with the old fsx core.

No pilots or retired aviation engeneers and pilots involved? No future for the game as a sim.

Well that's your opinion.

Shall we ask Carenado who, of course, pride themselves on letting everyone know they have `real pilots` as beta testers? There should be no-one to touch them and we should all regard them as the arbiters of accuracy on release.

...NOT!

Lol.. I just got a 1st warning, and my post deleted from AVSIM, in reply to a post that said P3D will die, when MSFS is released.

C'mon, Robin! You were given a verbal warning only and it came from ADMIN, not a moderator. I would suspect that Nels or Rick would give you the same warning here not to discuss the P3d EULA. I was given a five day suspension from Daveo about 4 years ago for using a couple of symbols instead of using an improper word on the FSX forum over there.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

• 9 months later...

I agree. Some of the flight modelling is a joke. Like the Citation Longitude. That just behaves like a third hand fairground ride. A very dangerous one! But flew the Cessna 152 v low level around Las Vegas today. Truly stunning. I had to keep going to the toilet. And I flew over San Fran at 1:00am. OMG. And it looked and behaved like a 152. Some major bugs though. The Citation has so many I've given up on that. I'm going around the world. Started at Leeds Bradford and got as far as Innsbruck. I'm in a single engined turboprop. Dahar ?