Thread: Compatibility of Add-ons with FSX Steam

Default Compatibility of Add-ons with FSX Steam

I have the disc version of FSX. I need to reinstall it on my computer, but last time I attempted to reinstall I had numerous problems and little support from MS. I’m thinking about changing to the Steam version, but I don’t know if all of my add-ons would work in the Steam version. Would appreciate any input on this.

Thank you,

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by gwhess View Post
    I have the disc version of FSX. I need to reinstall it on my computer, but last time I attempted to reinstall I had numerous problems and little support from MS. I’m thinking about changing to the Steam version, but I don’t know if all of my add-ons would work in the Steam version. Would appreciate any input on this.

Thank you,

Gary
    There is NO support from MS. Not any more.

Everything should work with FSX Steam, but I recommend you consult with this forum first.
    FS2004 addons can get flagged as FSX compatible when they're not...

Rule of thumb: If it works in FSX Accel, it works fine in FSX:SE.

Only real difference is the way Steam stuffs the FSX folder deeper in it's folder structure than the FSX Box.

Does this help?
    Pat☺

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!
    Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now

Hi Gary, to add to Pat's good advice - the Steam Edition uses it's own version of Simconnect, which means some add-ons which are for FSX only won't work with FSX:SE. Always check that an add-on is advertised as being compatible with FSX:SE for this reason - it's not just for the install location.
    Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-Z270X-Gaming 7, Intel i5-7600k 3.80GHz OC'd 4.2GHz, NZXT X62 Kraken, 16Gb 3500MHz Ram, 1TB & 2TB Samsung Hybrid SSD's, LG DVDRW, NVidia GTX1050Ti 4Gb, Phanteks Enthoo Pro M case, CH Yoke & Pedals, Asus K272HL 27" Monitor, Windows 7 x64

5. Default

I have never come across anything which is not compatible.

Thanks for all of your input. Very helpful. I haven't tried installing from the discs this time yet, but am anticipating the same problems as before. At least I know I can change to Steam.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by tiger1962 View Post
    Hi Gary, to add to Pat's good advice - the Steam Edition uses it's own version of Simconnect, which means some add-ons which are for FSX only won't work with FSX:SE. Always check that an add-on is advertised as being compatible with FSX:SE for this reason - it's not just for the install location.
    The Steam edition contains a folder with all of the legacy simconnects which need to be installed manually: ...\steamapps\common\FSX\SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\LegacyInterfaces\. Just double-click the .msi file in each of the 3 sub- folders. This should prevent any incompatibilities with older add-ons.
    Last edited by lesh; 10-17-2019 at 01:02 PM.