3. Install the 9.1 patch

4. In the FS9.exe, select Properties

5. Select Compatibility mode, & select XP

6. At bottom, then select 'Run as Administrator'

Thats it!

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Hi,

Agree fully but I have never (almost 3 years now) selected the XP compatibility mode and FS runs perfect without this selection. When I select XP compatibility I see no difference. So run without it.FS WXP compatibility.png

Peter Bendl

ex. British Airways

I agree Tom, I didn't need to do that and my FS2004 runs OK, but it's like many threads on this, some have lots of probs and others have hardly any.

I was on Windows 7 Ultimate and loved it but I used it too many times and it wouldn't let me register it again.

Anyway upgraded to 10 and I don't particular like it but it runs the sims OK.

Col.

I am about to upgrade my PC to Windows 10 (from windows 7). I want to install FS9 but I'm not sure of how to about it. If anyone has any tips on what to do I would be very grateful.

rgds

Steve H

Hi Steve

All my machines run W10, with no problems whatsoever, as long as you

follow the usual install caveats that apply to any modern Windows OS,

and have decent computer specs, then you should be fine.

I run FS9, FSX and FSXSE, no problems, and personally for me, I think

W10 is the best, most stable windows OS that I have ever used, personally

I love it, I do however run most programmes in "administrator mode", not

sure whether this makes a difference, but it certainly hasn't made it any

worse:D

cheers

i7-4770K 4.60 GHz (Hyperthreading off) Liquid Cooling 16GB G-Skill DDR3 GeForce GTX1050Ti 4GB 500GB WD Blue 3D SSD SATA III x4 Creative Sound Z Sound Card 5.1Ch 24BitAvermedia video capture card CH Yoke and Rudder NZXT Fan Controller Windows10 64 Prof FS9 - FSX -FSX-SE Track Hat

1. Install into C:\ NOT into it's default C:\Program Files

2. Install the 9.1 updatel

3. Install the 9.1 patch

4. In the FS9.exe, select Properties

5. Select Compatibility mode, & select XP

6. At bottom, then select 'Run as Administrator'

Thats it!

Hi Robin!

I have FS9 on Win 10 now. As before, I still say Win 10 is no good! :p

Mark Daniels

Ok, so Windows 10 is not good for games that are older than 17 years...

Surely that's expecting a bit much.

When up to Windows 7 you could play games up to 40 years old, no, don't think it's expecting a bit much.

Windows 10 is built to force you to stay current, force you to buy and use only the software Microsoft want you to use and for you to keep regularly filling Microsoft's pockets $$$. That's Windows 10. The other operating systems gave you choice and flexibility.

Mark Daniels

Should add, this is the type of thing that is happening with Win 10.

Right now we are awaiting the new MSFS. If we don't like it, we will stay with FS9 or FSX right?

These are the types of choices being taken away. Games like FS9 and FSX can stop working on Win 10 with the very next update.

Your choice then becomes, if you want to flight sim, you will either use MSFS, X-Plane or P3D, nothing else! "We are Microsoft and this is what we will allow you to use."

Retired? Not loaded with funds? Need a new PC to continue to flight sim? Bad luck! Microsoft doesn't care. No flight simming for you then.

Mark Daniels

I have to agree a bit with Skywatcher12, I was on Windows 7 and I liked it, I had a hard drive crash and had to format, then when I went to install Windows 7 again I could but had to register but then the problem was I had used it too many times on my other machines so I couldn't register.

I couldn't afford to buy another Windows 7 and the only option I had was to upgrade to 10.

OK so now I can operate again and I have installed my flight sims and they are all working so far, then I read about MS installing updates that (might) stop FS from working so I looked in to turning off the updates, I eventually found a way but MS got round it and still they install the updates, again so far the sims still work but I get worried one day one or more of them won't.

Windows 10 had a few things I like but I'm still not keen on it, it might be my imagination but I get the impression MS is more intrusive that it used to be, I can surf the internet then get emails and ads popping up relating to things I may have looked at days ago.

I know this happened before but it seems even more now, I can go on Opera and surf using their VPN but I like Chrome, so what do I do buy more software?

I'm retired too like Skywatcher plus a lot of younger simmers are at school or collage and they too haven't got the money to upgrade or buy more hard/software and if MS do decide to make it hard to use the older sims then they will make a lot of people very unhappy, I hope I'm wrong.

Col.

Col, we are all being pushed off a cliff in software terms and our wallets ripped off us before we are pushed by Microsoft and Win 10. No one should be happy about it! lol

Here is an example. There is an older crowd here, some may have an interest in golf games.

There are 2 current golf games worth mentioning on the market, both still mediocre compared to golf titles past. Many for this reason, prefer to play the older golf titles that reigned supreme when golf games were incredibly popular on the PC.

Under Windows 7, you could choose and run any of these classic titles:

Links LS 2000

Links 2001

Links 2003

Golden Bear Challenge

PGA 2000

Tiger Woods series (03-08. Total of 6 games)

Then came Windows 10. Under Windows 10 some games broke for everyone and others broke for many depending on their hardware configuration as Win 10 is very fussy about hardware. From the list of the 11 titles above that worked on Win 7, we were now left with 3!

Links 2003

Golden Bear Challenge

PGA 2000

But wait! There's more! The PGA 2000 users were very happy! The game ran great under Windows 10! Long live PGA 2000! Then it came, "THE WIN 10 UPDATE" that killed any animation in the game! eg the golfer, golf ball, flags etc.

PGA 2000 users were left with what I have shown below making the game useless!

From the 11 games we could run on all previous operating systems, we are now down to 2. The question is, how long before "THE WIN 10 UPDATE" will kill the last 2 off as well???

FS is no different, it's not a matter of if we lose it, but when. Microsoft want us using and constantly buying new software. They want us buying new hardware. They want us to move along from the software and games we enjoy when they tell us too.

Win 10 sux!

golf_problem.jpg

Mark Daniels

Hi Gary,

Yes, the scenery has been very much improved.

Have a look in Avsim for Aeroworx South African scenery. The mountain looks great, as does Table bay harbour. There's also our local Air Force Base, Ysterplaat (FAYP). There is a mesh that also adjusts the mountain and coastline.

Regards,

Robin

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

My Two Cents ( before taxes )

Hard drives are dirt cheap. Install 2 hard drives and do a dual boot. Windows 10 on one drive and Windows 7 on the other. Make sure you update Windows 7 completely as it is being phased out. Run all your Legacy games on Win 7. I believe Windows 7 must be installed First. Google it.

My Two Cents ( before taxes )

Hard drives are dirt cheap. Install 2 hard drives and do a dual boot. Windows 10 on one drive and Windows 7 on the other. Make sure you update Windows 7 completely as it is being phased out. Run all your Legacy games on Win 7. I believe Windows 7 must be installed First. Google it.

I didn't put Win 10 on my PC by choice I promise you! lol

I had too because Win 7 isn't a realistic option with new hardware.

Mark Daniels