Which among these two laptops specs is better for fsx

captain auwal

Good day all!

I am in a market for a laptop that can handle fsx quite well with few add-on sceneries and airplanes such as the 737ngx and I found 2 laptops that I am interested in.The specs of the laptops are;

1.intel i7-4710hq (2.5ghz upto 3.5ghz) 4cores, 8threads,16gb ddr 3 ram,intel hd graphics 4600,1tb 7200rpm hdd storage.

2.intel i3-8145u (2.1ghz upto 3.9ghz) 2cores,4 threads, Intel uhd 620,12gb ddr4 ram,128gb nVme ssd,500gb 5600rpm hdd.

I know that the core i7-4710hq will out-petform the core i3 when it comes to gaming,but I read different posts which says that fsx depends on only one core for it's resources but I don't know if that's true,so I made several researches on the benchmarks of the single core efficiency of both CPUs and i found out that the single core speed of the i3-8145u was significantly better than that of the i7.Does that mean that the i3 will handle fsx better than the i7?please I need your advice on which laptop to go for because I don't want to regret purchasing the wrong laptop.

Thankyou.

None. You don't want a laptop for gaming let alone a Sim that is predominantly CPU orientated and single threaded.

Is there a reason why you want a laptop for a Sim?

I'd go with the i7. Don't expect to crank the FSX settings all the way. You really can't do that in a gaming desktop without issues as well.

Captain?

Take a look at the HP Omen series of laptops. I'm running a 2017 model with an Nvidia 1050 card and several add ons and Steve's DX-10 fixer with nearly maxed out graphics. I had FPS limited to 30 but disabled that just for kicks and I'm getting between 25-65 FPS on average. No cooling problems and no OOM's.

PS- I will admit though, I am saving up for a balls out desktop to run the new sim when it comes out.

Edited by Hossfly68

I hate to say it, but you don't want to go HP for a laptop. Go Dell or ASUS. HP may make a great printer though. YMMV.

Thankyou all for you replies,but i am on a tight budget and I just need a laptop that can handle fsx with only few add-ons(not complex add-ons) for the mean time.which among the two laptops I listed above do you think will give me more performance in the sim.

Thankyou

I already told you the i7 model. FSX is a CPU game so you want a fast CPU. Your GPU would only play second fiddle.

Edit-

Okay, rereading your post again I see you have done your research on FSX and CPUs, and you're right, the i3 does have better single thread capability than that i7 you listed. See here: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

Press and hold control and hit F to find the CPUs in your browser.

Edited by CRJ_simpilot

So with that go with the i3 I guess. But again, don't expect top notch performance. In the game settings try low to medium and pin your FPS down to 25. Do not use unlimited. Then in your GPU settings and if it's there, set the maximum number of pre-rendered frames to 2. You can try 3 and 4, but what this does is processes frames in the CPU first before passing on to the GPU. Since FSX is already taxing the CPU in the single thread department, you want to give it breathing room. Edited by CRJ_simpilot

Good day all!

I am in a market for a laptop that can handle fsx quite well with few add-on sceneries and airplanes such as the 737ngx and I found 2 laptops that I am interested in.The specs of the laptops are;

1.intel i7-4710hq (2.5ghz upto 3.5ghz) 4cores, 8threads,16gb ddr 3 ram,intel hd graphics 4600,1tb 7200rpm hdd storage.

2.intel i3-8145u (2.1ghz upto 3.9ghz) 2cores,4 threads, Intel uhd 620,12gb ddr4 ram,128gb nVme ssd,500gb 5600rpm hdd.

I know that the core i7-4710hq will out-petform the core i3 when it comes to gaming,but I read different posts which says that fsx depends on only one core for it's resources but I don't know if that's true,so I made several researches on the benchmarks of the single core efficiency of both CPUs and i found out that the single core speed of the i3-8145u was significantly better than that of the i7.Does that mean that the i3 will handle fsx better than the i7?please I need your advice on which laptop to go for because I don't want to regret purchasing the wrong laptop.

Thankyou.

Either way, you will for the reasons expounded.

Laptops are a weak choice for FSX and likely will cause issues with complex addons like PMDG.

Lack of budget cannot overcome the limitations, no matter how many questions you ask or how wise the answers.

The bottom line is that FSX - and other flight simulators - simply need raw CPU horsepower (high clock rate), fast RAM, fast storage (more storage than you imagine!!!) and a powerful graphics adapter. All of this has to be tied together by a fast data bus.

It is impossible to cram all of this, plus the required cooling, into a laptop.

With a laptop, you will be able to run basic FSX, and that's about it.

You will, after a couple of months, be frustrated out of your skull, because all the nice add-ons that you would like to have, even the freeware ones, demand more horsepower than your laptop can supply.

And you will then be frustrated that you spent all this money on your laptop, where you could have used it in part for a decent desktop.

Jorgen

I hate to say it, but you don't want to go HP for a laptop. Go Dell or ASUS. HP may make a great printer. YMMV

My mileage obviously varies then. And to be honest, I always hated HP computers until I bought the Omen.

It hasn't choked yet and the only problems I had with it were my own fault.

My HP printer, on the other hand, is pure garbage.. So I use the wife's printer (whatever it is... I forget)

I hate to say it, but you don't want to go HP for a laptop. Go Dell or ASUS. HP may make a great printer though. YMMV.

No, not Dell, please: I've burned already the 2 of them I've owned. ASUS is a good option.

Okay, rereading your post again I see you have done your research on FSX and CPUs, and you're right, the i3 does have better single thread capability than that i7 you listed. See here: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

Press and hold control and hit F to find the CPUs in your browser.

There is one caveat: since the OP budget limited, I guess he won't be paying for a gaming laptop with a decent cooling system able to handle Turbo Boost speeds. Mostly are designed for handling the load at base frequency. Because of this, I'd prefer the i7. But definitely not with Intel graphics. I struggled 6 years with those GPUs. Any cheap Nvidia will do better.

Best regards,

Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

No, not Dell, please: I've burned already the 2 of them I've owned. ASUS is a good option.

There is one caveat: since the OP budget limited, I guess he won't be paying for a gaming laptop with a decent cooling system able to handle Turbo Boost speeds. Mostly are designed for handling the load at base frequency. Because of this, I'd prefer the i7. But definitely not with Intel graphics. I struggled 6 years with those GPUs. Any cheap Nvidia will do better.

From those choices: None of them.

Start your research with

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/forumdisplay.php?6-PC-Hardware-Video-And-Audio-Help

Then seek reliable counterpoint:

https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/laptops/article/guides