Newbie building a PC for FLight Sim

deepakvrao

Hi Guys,

Complete newbie here, but used to love aero modelling and flying 3 decades ago. Now want to try Flight Sim.

Looking at the Ryzen 5 3600X and the Nvidia RTX 2060 Super, with 1 TB of SSD.

Intel equivalent seems much more expensive. Any suggestions? Both for the CPU as well as the GPU? Is it worth the extra for a 2070 Super?

From what I have read, Flight Sim software speeds depend more on processor than GPUs? Is that true?

That rig will work just fine. Before I upgraded I was using an AMD FX-8350, GTX-970 and 16 gigs of ram and it ran X-Plane just fine. My new rig is a Ryzen 7 2700x with a GTX-1070Ti and 32 gigs of ram and with that I can max the sim and have great FPS. You should be fine.

X-plane will use more GPU than Processor resources.

I find on my resource manager that X-plane will draw up to 60 percent usage during gpu use and the processor maybe 15. I am currently using the 1080 ti.

Dual graphics cards are not supported in X-plane so save your money.

It is also a very memory hungry program. I use 64gb.

Make sure you put in as big a powered supply as you can. I am using a 1500 watt.

If you can... don’t use wifi. Connect direct to your router. The difference is huge.

I am using 3 Alienware r5 systems and they are fantastic.

If you want I would suggest going to their site and checking the specs on their gaming systems.

Click on one and it gives you the options to modify your system. I found it helpful in deciding what to purchase for my other build.

Hope this helps.

That rig will work just fine. Before I upgraded I was using an AMD FX-8350, GTX-970 and 16 gigs of ram and it ran X-Plane just fine. My new rig is a Ryzen 7 2700x with a GTX-1070Ti and 32 gigs of ram and with that I can max the sim and have great FPS. You should be fine.

Thanks. Changed to Intel i59600K, and got a Gigabyte rtx 2070 super overclocked.

X-plane will use more GPU than Processor resources.

I find on my resource manager that X-plane will draw up to 60 percent usage during gpu use and the processor maybe 15. I am currently using the 1080 ti.

Dual graphics cards are not supported in X-plane so save your money.

It is also a very memory hungry program. I use 64gb.

Make sure you put in as big a powered supply as you can. I am using a 1500 watt.

If you can... don’t use wifi. Connect direct to your router. The difference is huge.

I am using 3 Alienware r5 systems and they are fantastic.

If you want I would suggest going to their site and checking the specs on their gaming systems.

Click on one and it gives you the options to modify your system. I found it helpful in deciding what to purchase for my other build.

Hope this helps.

Thanks. Never realise that RAM was so important. Saw many videos suggesting 16gb adequate, so thats what I went with.

Why is wifi an issue? It all runs on your computer locally right? My broadband is 100mbps, and I get 90 on wifi, so will wifi make a difference really?

The issue with wifi is that several other systems are using your wifi also and will cut into your bandwidth,

Even the people next door to you can bugger up your signal. Going direct from the router gives you a constant bandwidth at the speed With no interference. Test it and see for yourself. You’re going to see a difference.

Memory and gpu are of big importance in X-plane. Even more so with 11.40.

Do not install the beta until they get the bugs out though.