Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Well, I Have Always Liked Shiney, Another P-51D For My Hangar

Default Well, I Have Always Liked Shiney, Another P-51D For My Hangar

Saw this in the library, couldn't resist! It is so shiney, that the pics make it look white. Oh well, I'll keep this for awhile. I'm not a Coors fan either, but it does add a little "touch" to the aircraft!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-10-9_20-26-31-570.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	259.6 KB 
ID:	212506

OOPS, yet another! This one has Bob Hoover's name on it! Color is a little different, but starting to grow on me!

Name:	2019-10-9_20-55-9-429.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	295.6 KB 
ID:	212507

Rick
    Last edited by Downwind66; 10-09-2019 at 08:58 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Downwind66 View Post
    Saw this in the library, couldn't resist! It is so shiney, that the pics make it look white. Oh well, I'll keep this for awhile. I'm not a Coors fan either, but it does add a little "touch" to the aircraft!

Name:	2019-10-9_20-26-31-570.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	259.6 KB 
ID:	212506

OOPS, yet another! This one has Bob Hoover's name on it! Color is a little different, but starting to grow on me!

Name:	2019-10-9_20-55-9-429.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	295.6 KB 
ID:	212507

Rick
    Hot looking Mustangs! I like them both

Thanks David!

The shiny one looks great!
    Gérard Guichard, Dijon, Burgundy, France. i5 Intel processor, 4 Go of Ram, Nvidia GeForce 920MX, DirectX 12.0, and FSX Gold Edition with SP1, SP2. My personal flightsim website is at http://flightlessons.6te.net

Well, I flew the shiney for awhile and grew tired of the shine. Sent it off to "file 13" and found 2 additional paints that put a smile on my face. Yes, I kept "Ole Yeller," as I have always been a fan of Bob Hoover (also Chuck Yeager) so that will stay. I have the Warwick Carter/GJ (Gary) Smith download. There are many repaints for this download which make it nice to be able to pick and chose and rechose!

Rick

I like your concept of file 13. Suppose that's the discarded files? Isn't that?
    Gérard Guichard, Dijon, Burgundy, France. i5 Intel processor, 4 Go of Ram, Nvidia GeForce 920MX, DirectX 12.0, and FSX Gold Edition with SP1, SP2. My personal flightsim website is at http://flightlessons.6te.net

Nice pictures of two verry pretty aircraft. Thanks for the post

From what I understand, Rockwell GAVE Bob Hoover that yellow P-51, to fly around to airshows, etc. Great advertising for Rockwell, and FUN for Mr. Hoover. Rockwell payed all his expenses, so the only thing he needed in his wallet was his pilot's cert. Nice setup for him, it really was.
    I saw him several times at the Reno Nationals. He would do shows of his own aerobatic skills, which are staggering, and he would start the Unlimited each year. He had an amazing skill at flying the start formation around low, out of sight and hearing of the crowd, until they "magically" appeared behind the stands, and as they ROARED over the stands to the start line, he would pull up and give the famous "Gentlemen, you have a race!". They would have the radios piped to the loudspeaker system, so we could, barely, hear him. Those engines are LOUD!
    Should a racer have a problem, and pull up and off the course, Mr. Hoover, who had been doing aerobatics up high over the course for his own entertainment, in that P-51, would seem to magically appear on the racer's wing, good tight formation, and guide the racer down to the runway. Many times the failure would involve the failure of the oil system, and the race pilot would be totally blind, with oil, or something, covering the windshield. Having Mr. Hoover to guide them down would be a huge help to them. He would stay on their wing until their wheels touched the runway.
    Some truly amazing flying on Mr. Hoover's part.

Thanks again for the pictures!
    Pat☺

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!
    Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now

Quote Originally Posted by flightsimg View Post
    I like your concept of file 13. Suppose that's the discarded files? Isn't that?
    Gerard - "file 13" is another saying we use for trash can OR in this case the Recycle Bin. See, you learned something else today!!!!

Rick
    Last edited by Downwind66; 10-10-2019 at 03:32 PM.

Wow, thanks for sharing Pat! I never knew that! Yes, there was an elite group of aviators way back when, Bob Hoover, Chuck Yeager and I am sure several more unsung heroes in the Aviation World! When I saw this "Ole Yeller" as the download listing shows, I just had to have it! The mellow yellow paint is different and after downloading the aircraft, I was ready to fly it for the first time, that's when I noticed Bob Hoover's signature on the side of the aircraft! It is a nice repaint and I am slowing getting to like the yellow color, as it is quite different from most downloads! It will stay part of my hangar herd, especially now that I have heard the story you shared with us!

Thanks again Pat!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Downwind66 View Post
    Gerard - "file 13" is another saying we use for trash can OR in this case the Recycle Bin. See, you (learned) something else today!!!!

Rick
    Ah, ye old "Circular File"
    Mr Zippy Sent from my keyboard using "Whackamole", NudgeAKey + 2 Fingers

Emachines T3418 AMD 3400+ processor 2GHZ/256KB L2 Cashe 2Gig Ram 160Gig HDD NVidia GEForce 6100 GPU Running WinXP Home Can't believe it still works! Running FSX Standard with SP1 and SP2

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast