Stumped

westway

While is FlightSim site if I open a text file for an aircraft I looking at, the text file opens but only for 5-10 secs. the a message appears, "can't open this page". So I either have to copy text file to desktop to read or download aircraft with all the data then read the text file. I can't figure out what's needed to fix the issue in FlightSim for reading test files.

Are you a beta tester for the new SIM?

The new sim is currently pre-alpha, as I understand it. I suspect the OP posted in the wrong forum section, and should have been in either FS2004 or FSX forums.

Westway, you might mention which sim you're currently running, since I doubt it is the new one that is still far from being released.

Edited by lnuss

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Yep, wrong forum. So 'Microsoft Flight Simulator' is for the up-coming FltSim and not for FS9 or FSX. You click 'VIEW', then RIGHT CLICK on text file, then choose 'OPEN IN A NEW TAB'. That might work.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

1. Are you trying to read a text document from a zipped file?

2. Are you trying to read a text file from an installed aircraft?

3. If you have Windows 10, & your sim install is in C:\ Program Files,then..

4. If 3., Reinstall your sim into C:\ with the usual caveats, as described many times on the forums.

5. Ask in the correct forums please..

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

I'm using FSX

OK, you do realize that you asked in the wrong forum? So you have a problem reading text files associated with the aircraft? Are these text files inside of the aircraft.cfg? Are you opening them in notepad?

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

I think I need to restate my issue. I'm using FSX in Windows 10, so while in the FlightSim site I look at a particular aircraft file and while looking at the file I want to read a text file within the folder. When I open the text file it only stays open a few seconds then closes. There are only two ways I can open and read it without it closing, 1) copy text file to desktop, or 2) download entire file then open and read text file. What I'm looking for is a solution to reading the text file while in FlightSim site without it closing out.

That's the second wrong post in a week, maybe naming the forum FS2020 wouldn't be so confusing after all?

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

OK, back to westway's problem, now that we are in the correct forum. You say you're in the flightsim site....meaning you are running FSX when you want to look at these text files for your aircraft?

Sorry, this will take some time to piece together exactly what you are saying.

It looks like he's on flightsim.com in the File Library. He has found an aircraft if likes and clicks the"preview" link. There he sees what files are in the download. (filenames listed, folder names too.).

If one of those files in the list is a .cfg file or .txt file that name is a link as well. When clicked the .txt or .cfg file opens.

In his case it opens and closes immediately. (And from what if explained it looks like it happens with all files he tries.).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

so while in the FlightSim site I look at a particular aircraft file and while looking at the file I want to read a text file within the folder. When I open the text file it only stays open a few seconds then closes. There are only two ways I can open and read it without it closing, 1) copy text file to desktop, or 2) download entire file then open and read text file.

So you're looking at the download listings, you have clicked "View", and are trying, for a specific aircraft, to look at, for example, the readme.txt file without downloading the aircraft? Is this what you're saying?

I just tried that in FSX new files for the first one that came up, and I'm looking at the File List for Listing of 320tapsa.zip. I see three files there that you might reasonably look at:

10-09-19 176,295 320neoTAPSA.jpg

10-10-19 243 file_d.diz

10-10-19 756 Readme.txt

with the third field in each of those showing blue, meaning it's a link I can click on. So I've clicked (single left click) on each of them, in turn, and it displays to me what's in each of those files, one .jpg that shows a picture and two files that display text. I can stay there looking at it as long as I like.

I'm running Win 7 Pro and using the Firefox browser.

Is your procedure any different from that?

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Glad you guys were able to figure that one out???:confused:

Sort of like reading the cfg.txt file from this download? I'm using Firefox on my antique system.

text.JPG

Edited by mrzippy

Hi westway,

I gave it a try, Win10 latest build, Using MS Edge Browser it stays open for you to read the readme.txt in ZipView. But using IE11 in Win10 ZipView closes about 5-10 seconds after opening with "Cant reach page" error. I have not tried FireFox but Google chrome behaves itself. Perhaps something has been broken after the latest MS updates to IE11 (removing functionality), and perhaps also MS are phasing IE11 out in favour of Edge browser in Win10.

Incidentally: this does not happen when I try the same using Win7 and IE11.

As Mr Zippy said it may be your chosen browser, I would suggest using EDGE, FireFox or Chrome browser to Preview the readme file and download the package if it meets your requirements.