Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: FS 2020 System Requirements?

Blog Entries

Unfortunately there's no real solution to this, given that Microsoft ultimately chooses the name for their products, and that this one is easily confused with other products. I'm afraid this one is going to cause endless confusion. If it needs abbreviating I would tend to call it "MFS" for "Microsoft Flight Simulator". I don't believe MFS has ever had any common use within our hobby so it would be distinctive.

In FlightSim.Com articles we've had a standard of using the full name or an abbreviation based on the name printed on the box the product was shipped in. I.e., "Flight Simulator X" is FSX, "Flight Simulator 2004" is FS2004 (not FS9). I've always figured that the name Microsoft publishes on the boxes, etc. is THE name and not things like internally used file names (fs9.exe, fs8.exe, etc.).

On the interview someone (?) said ;...it may be called 'FS11' or 'FS12', not sure yet'. That makes sense. FSXI? Maybe not that. But, yes, it will most likely have a version title after 'Microsoft Flight Simulator'. They insist on including 'Microsoft' in the name as we most surely might expect (marketing!). I might just wait until 2021 to even consider buying it as you will only have a core with features slated to be added 'in the future' (months/year?) using feedback, etc. One thing sticks out: it's going to be multi core so that alone is worth A LOT! Call it what you want-it's going to blow your mind that's for sure!
    Chuck B
    Napamule
    i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D. FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

@bam1220 post 16, Lol, you spotted my mistype, I saw it myself but it was too late to edit seeing as others had posted on top, anyway you got my drift.

This thread all started because someone didn't like it being called by an other name, if you cast your mind back when a new version of Windows is in the making they give it a name to separate it from other versions then they rename it again on release, I wonder if anyone from MFS is reading this thread, if so take note lol?

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by jorgen.s.andersen View Post
    And I want to see this new rumored flight simulator offered for sale before I place any bets about the name or system requirements.

And if this thing is going to be paid for by monthly subscription, then I am not taking the bait.

Jorgen
    You got that right! Any locked out content, DLC and/or subscription models and I will not hesitate to pass this one up.

I agree, there are lots of younger simmers who haven't got the money plus older simmers like myself on an old age pension, I'm already paying subs for a few programs so don't fancy another.

My Grandson is a simmer and he would love this new one but he said he doesn't fancy paying a sub as he hasn't got the money to spare.

Col.

6. Default

I just pulled a ring binder from my book shelf, it's entitled:

Instrument Pilot's Scenery
    East U.S.
    IBM Compatibles
    for use with
    Microsoft Flight Simulator

Who can guess what version of Microsoft Flight Simulator it's for?

Two clues
    1 it's by subLOGIC
    2 The Jeppesen approach charts came in a ring binder, the software on a 3-1/2" disk

A wild guess? Bruce Artwick, Flight Simulator 1977. His company, subLOGIC; Microsoft Flight Simulator 1.00.

Since 1977 was before MS got involved with FS, I'd expect that it's for either the first version of FS for the IBM PC (circa 1981) or, at latest, version two. I remember that approach to documentation, but it's apparently too expensive now to actually provide a paper copy.

Even as late as FS2000 MS provided a nice printed copy of "Microsoft Flight Simulator 2000 Professional Edition Pilot's Handbook" which cover features, using Ron Machado's learning package included with the sim, data on the included aircraft (including panel layout, etc.) and various charts (I just looked through my copy).

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:
    Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Quote Originally Posted by ColR1948 View Post
    I agree, there are lots of younger simmers who haven't got the money plus older simmers like myself on an old age pension, I'm already paying subs for a few programs so don't fancy another.

My Grandson is a simmer and he would love this new one but he said he doesn't fancy paying a sub as he hasn't got the money to spare.

Col.
    Then it's not for you. Or him. That's the way of things - it's only for those who afford the price of admission.

Me? I can probably afford it, but I'm waiting for the bluff and bluster to die down first.

Probably will buy in early 2021, after someone else has ironed the inevitable kinks out...

P3D works works well enough for me, right now.

10. Default

Hi Guys,
    Talk about going 'Off Topic'! This thread started with "what kind of rig are we expected to have to run the New MSFS?

BTW yes I also have the Original Ancient Handbook and still use the rulers that came with it.
    FSX Rules!!
    What time's the next flight?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast