FS 2020 System Requirements?

As the title states. I know its early, but what are everyone's guesses on the system and hardware it will take to run this upcoming game? I can only imagine that it is going to take a powerful rig to run this sim on the settings we are seeing in the recent video clips.

As the title states. I know its early, but what are everyone's guesses on the system and hardware it will take to run this upcoming game? I can only imagine that it is going to take a powerful rig to run this sim on the settings we are seeing in the recent video clips.

If you go by their last sim, the PC you own in 2034 should do it.

Seriously, nobody could answer this right now.

As Nels said, in his original Welcome post:

It's hard to avoid that the name is confusing, as there has been versions of Microsoft Flight Simulator going back decades. So just to be clear, this forum is for the upcoming version expected to be released in 2020 and which Microsoft themself are just calling just "Microsoft Flight Simulator".

Can we all respect the fact that the developer of the sim has named it Microsoft Flight Simulator, & not FS 2020 or any other random name!

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Can we all respect the fact that the developer of the sim has named it Microsoft Flight Simulator, & not FS 2020 or any other random name!

Is it really that critical that we refer to it exactly as Microsoft does? Adding 2020 to the name removes a lot of ambiguity, depending on the conversation. Not to mention the long aviation tradition of giving aircraft, among other things, nicknames different from the official title (ex. A-10s are probably called Warthogs more often than Thunderbolt IIs).

Well the name is as what Microsoft calls it. There is actually no ambiguity at all, We have FSX, P3D, FS2004, Ford releases a new car, we don't call it Ford 2020!

In conversation we talk about FSX, P3D, XP or X-Plane, the new sim has it's name. Just respectful.

This renaming started within another site's forum, with other random namings as well, FS20 amongst them. Flightsim.com has always been a 'cleaner' less rantfull & a less arrogant site.

Lets not be like the other.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

No but when Ford release a new car they don't just call it a Ford they give it a follow name as well so people know which model.

You don't go in to a car dealer and say I want a ford he will ask what model.

So when people call the new sim FS2020 it lets others know they are talking about the new sim not any of the others, sure you can understand that?

If someone posted and said MS Flight Simulator, you can bet some replies would be which one are you talking about?

Lol.. So, when Microsoft talks about Microsoft Flight Simulator, are you confused about which sim they are talking about?

I'm sure people are not confused when they look at the forum title, and take it for granted that the contents thereof refers to the name of that sim.

I'm sure that people are not confused, maybe you are an exception, by expecting that the forums named FS2004, FSX and Microsoft Flight Simulator will only consist of postings referring to those names.

Really, common sense should prevail.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Ha Ha, in threads and forums it is common that other versions are mentioned, look in the FSX forum there a a few threads where someone mentions FS9 and even earlier versions, I've seen FSX mentioned in the FS9 and X-plane forum and visa versa.

I have a copy of Microsoft Flight Simulator on my PC, course you know which one I'm talking about don't you?

I think you were just trying to be clever in your remark when you highlighted the fact that some people are calling it MS2020, where as they were just clarifying which version they were talking about.

My car is a Toyota, but you know which one, it's a Toyota, my cell phone is a Motorola, you know the one a Motorola, but you are not confused are you which ones I'm taking about?

My take on this. Confusion of names is only for those who may know of all the other versions of the game.

MSFS is entering a new market of users (example Xbox users) where many people may only know of the new version by the name MS give it, MSFS. They may not have experienced previous versions.

Those who have used the other MS flight sim versions should be knowledgeable enough to work out what is what.

The only way to create real confusion is to call the sims names other than what MS have actually given them imo.

Microsoft Flight Simulator

FSX

FS2004 or FS9

I think they are all quite clear myself for anyone.

Microsoft Flight Simulator

FSX

FS2004 or FS9

Taking the examples above, those who dislike references to FS2020 could justifiably refer to Microsoft Flight Simulator as FSXI or FS11, after all the launch of this new sim could easily be delayed until 2021... ;)

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Not really, Tim. Made up names are a little confusing. So, you can also name the sim FS11111100100 then. (thats obviously binary)

Why not just call it by it's proper name?

FS2004 was actually released in 2003! It was never called FS2003

FSX was released in 2006.. Never called FS2006

FSX:SE in 2014, never named FS2014

So, trying to justify a made up name is redundant.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

after all the launch of this new sim could easily be delayed until 2021... ;)

lol, then it will need a new name again.

Maybe just give it a fictional ICAO code for flight simmer's to easily remember like: CDAN

Can't

Decide

A

Name

Just to go on a bit, I've seen it referred to as MSFS, but Microsoft is only one word not two, so it should be MSF.

Personally I know what most people mean and what name they call it doesn't really bother me as it does others, I'm just having a bit of fun with my posts, so don't take it to heart lol.

Col.

I'm just having a bit of fun with my posts, so don't take it to heart lol.

Col.

Me too! I don't post on FS forums often because there are many serious people here. I'm doing a bit of a posting spree atm, not sure for how long.

Regarding MSFS, I know I've read others questioning it like yourself. I remember finding confirmation MS call their simulators MSFS so it can be considered the official shortening of the full name.

There are also people who get upset if you call FS2004, FS9.

Again, I remember coming across some official source somewhere at one time which clearly showed FS9 is every bit as correct terminology as FS2004.

If you really want to ruffle feathers, I think the best way is to call FS a game. Sorry, imo, that's clearly all it is. lol

Just to go on a bit, I've seen it referred to as MSFS, but Microsoft is only one word not two, so it should be MSF.

Personally I know what most people mean and what name they call it doesn't really bother me as it does others, I'm just having a bit of fun with my posts, so don't take it to heart lol.

Col.

Based on your logic shouldn't it be MFS and not MSF? I agree though it should be called MFS to avoid confusion.

Not really, Tim. Made up names are a little confusing. So, you can also name the sim FS11111100100 then. (thats obviously binary)

FSXI or FS11 aren't made up names Robbie.

FS2004 is named FS9 by Microsoft - look at the .exe filename. FS2002 is FS8.exe and so on down the line.

FSX is FS10, but Microsoft switched to Roman Numerals for simplicity I assume.

Therefore, the next sequential number for the new Microsoft Flight Simulator is:

FSXI (in Roman Numerals) or FS11, take your pick.

Edited by tiger1962

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Has anyone considered what MS did for their first version of the sim back in the early PC days, after they took over from Bruce? Was it, perhaps, Microsoft Flight Simulator, along about 1982? Does that sound similar to anything they talk about today? I still have Flight Simulator II for the Amiga.

:rolleyes: :cool: :pilot:

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

You're absolutely right Larry, there's no version number because this is the FIRST version of Microsoft Flight Simulator for XBox! ;)

Let me put it this way - and I think someone already pointed this out.

If I say/write "MS Flight Simulator" you may or may not be confused which version you talk.

If you say/write MS Flight Simulator 2020" there is no space for confusion.

And I think being clear in a conversation among geeks is more important than to please MS Brand Manager and some forum orthodoxes ;)

Am I right?

&

• Founder

Unfortunately there's no real solution to this, given that Microsoft ultimately chooses the name for their products, and that this one is easily confused with other products. I'm afraid this one is going to cause endless confusion. If it needs abbreviating I would tend to call it "MFS" for "Microsoft Flight Simulator". I don't believe MFS has ever had any common use within our hobby so it would be distinctive.

In FlightSim.Com articles we've had a standard of using the full name or an abbreviation based on the name printed on the box the product was shipped in. I.e., "Flight Simulator X" is FSX, "Flight Simulator 2004" is FS2004 (not FS9). I've always figured that the name Microsoft publishes on the boxes, etc. is THE name and not things like internally used file names (fs9.exe, fs8.exe, etc.).

On the interview someone (?) said ;...it may be called 'FS11' or 'FS12', not sure yet'. That makes sense. FSXI? Maybe not that. But, yes, it will most likely have a version title after 'Microsoft Flight Simulator'. They insist on including 'Microsoft' in the name as we most surely might expect (marketing!). I might just wait until 2021 to even consider buying it as you will only have a core with features slated to be added 'in the future' (months/year?) using feedback, etc. One thing sticks out: it's going to be multi core so that alone is worth A LOT! Call it what you want-it's going to blow your mind that's for sure!

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

@bam1220 post 16, Lol, you spotted my mistype, I saw it myself but it was too late to edit seeing as others had posted on top, anyway you got my drift.

This thread all started because someone didn't like it being called by an other name, if you cast your mind back when a new version of Windows is in the making they give it a name to separate it from other versions then they rename it again on release, I wonder if anyone from MFS is reading this thread, if so take note lol?

And I want to see this new rumored flight simulator offered for sale before I place any bets about the name or system requirements.

And if this thing is going to be paid for by monthly subscription, then I am not taking the bait.

Jorgen

You got that right! Any locked out content, DLC and/or subscription models and I will not hesitate to pass this one up.

I agree, there are lots of younger simmers who haven't got the money plus older simmers like myself on an old age pension, I'm already paying subs for a few programs so don't fancy another.

My Grandson is a simmer and he would love this new one but he said he doesn't fancy paying a sub as he hasn't got the money to spare.

Col.