I think X-Plane already has a system similar to what we might see. They've long had regular updates with a steady stream of fixes and new features.

I think the suggestion is more along the lines of what Microsoft is doing with Windows 10. They've claimed Windows 10 is the last version of Windows and will essentially evolve over time without major new versions or upgrade cost as happened in the past (ie. Vista to 7 to 8 to 10). If MS can create a steady revenue stream, perhaps through a combination of new purchases, add-on sales through their own online shop and the Xbox Game Pass, they may do the same with the new sim. Presumably the next version of X-Plane will be a paid upgrade, on the other hand.

They've claimed Windows 10 is the last version of Windows and will essentially evolve over time without major new versions or upgrade cost as happened in the past (ie. Vista to 7 to 8 to 10).

Isn't the move away from software version numbers also a dodge from financial penalties in the EU, the Euro legal requirements that "new versions" of software must be backward compatible and "inter-operable" with previous versions?

So, Microsoft, Adobe, all the big software companies are moving away from version numbers. Service Packs are now "build" revisions, etc.

Edited by ftldave
add txt

Isn't the move away from software version numbers also a dodge from financial penalties in the EU, the Euro legal requirements that "new versions" of software must be backward compatible and "inter-operable" with previous versions?

So, Microsoft, Adobe, all the big software companies are moving away from version numbers. Service Packs are now "build" revisions, etc.

I'm not familiar with the EU regulations, but I don't see that as being a big issue. The main reason for companies like Adobe and Microsoft going away from version numbering is the move to SaaS and subscription models. On the developer's side it creates a steadier revenue stream and, for the user, updates are pushed out more frequently without the need to do major version updates.

For the big global companies, surely it's a big issue. And on the developer's side, there's a big difference between theory and reality. Microsoft has screwed up, mismanaged repeatedly with its "SaaS" Windows 10 updates, and that's cost them $$$ and lots of bad press. At my place of work, we still have the option to restrict pushed-down updates, but consumers can only postpone them ... and hope there aren't bad effects when they eventually do install.

From Digitaltrends:

"The massive rollout that was the October 2018 Update for Windows 10 was nothing short of a blunder for a company as sweeping as Microsoft. With reports of severe data loss by users who downloaded the fall update, Microsoft paused the rollout after only two days. Windows users who had adjusted the location of specific folders found their data completely wiped from their drives. Without a proper backup, the information was lost — a grave failure for a critical update."

For the big global companies, surely it's a big issue. And on the developer's side, there's a big difference between theory and reality. Microsoft has screwed up, mismanaged repeatedly with its "SaaS" Windows 10 updates, and that's cost them $$$ and lots of bad press. At my place of work, we still have the option to restrict pushed-down updates, but consumers can only postpone them ... and hope there aren't bad effects when they eventually do install.

While Microsoft has had issues with their QA, I don't see how that is related at all to any EU regulations. And the latest Windows 10 feature update gives home users more control over the updates too. It also isn't clear yet how the new sim will be managed either.

Can you imagine if Microsoft treated the sim as it does Windows 10..

Regular free updates..

Mmm, maybe that's why they call it just Microsoft Flight Simulator..

Could you Imagine if they made one that worked right just out of the box, No patches or updates.

Computer, lots of electrical thingys