Welcome to Microsoft Flight Simulator Forum

• Founder

It's hard to avoid that the name is confusing, as there has been versions of Microsoft Flight Simulator going back decades. So just to be clear, this forum is for the upcoming version expected to be released in 2020 and which Microsoft themself are just calling just "Microsoft Flight Simulator".

With the recent presentation event, the videos, interviews, and so on we're starting to learn more and more about what this sim will feature. How do you feel, excited, hesitant, or what? Microsoft has promised they are listening to the community and monitoring the forums, so here's your chance to get your opinion noticed.

I am very excited for the release of Flight Simulator! I have been monitoring the videos from the team and it sounds like they have really listened to the community and are going to get it right this time.

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz Cpu, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB Videocard, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360 Water Cooler, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI Motherboard, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W Power Supply, G.SKILL 48Gb Ram @76000 MHz DDR5 Ram, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB Drive, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

Hi Nels,

Thank you for the welcome.

First of all i would like to introduce myself, since i am new to this forum.

My name is Ray, Age 42 and living in the Netherlands.

My first meeting with a flightsimulation was the introduction by my father on his personal computer in 1982.

Since then i met several flight simulators over the years, but that was really nothing serious.

In 2007 i was attracted to FS again and went for FSX, then later Xplane 10 for graphics and 64bit support, now we are at Xplane 11 and my favorite GA plane is the Dmax Tecnam P2002.

I use this with worldtraffic 3 and Pilot2ATC for training at local airfields (grass and concrete).

In 2013 i started racing in race simulation games on PC and got a little more serious.

Then Project CARS 1 was going to be developed and i joined their alpha-program and started testing both PCARS editions.

I am looking very forward to Mircosoft's new Flight Simulator and also signed up for testing with them.

Hopefully i get picked, but i have a very regular setup now so changes are smell i think.

I could now find a new member introduction section, so this is what it will be, i guess.

Greeting Pilots!

CPU:6700K @4.6 liquid cooled, GPU:GTX1070-8GB, MEM:16GB DRR4, FAV:Tecnam P2002, RUDDER: ECCI T6000, STICK: Thrustmaster T-16000M, THROTTLE: Custom-made, Logitech FTQ, MODULES: Logitech FSP, Custom-made, VR-HMD: Lenovo Explorer. -=Out of SIMRACING, into FLIGHTSIM=- READY to TEST the heck out of MFS !!!

• 2 weeks later...
I've been in the flight sim world since the early days. I have really liked the advances. Still flying with FSX. I would say I am excited but cautiuosly optimistic about the new sim coming up. I do alot of reading on this site and Facebook groups. So, it's a wait and see thing :D

Senior Rookie Bragware: FSX Gold - Acceleration | HP Omen Obelisk Desktop | Intel Core i7 3.2 Ghz |16GB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 | 1TB HD | 256 GB SSD (Gaming Computer)

REX Worldwide Airports HD

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I was given a MSFS ver. 1 floppy disc by a co-worker in 1985 - played it on the a NYC Government PC - a true IBM computer that cost $5,000 at that time! - 30 MB hard drive and 540KB of RAM.

That got me hooked on flight sim, and I bought every version of MSFS over the years (except fs95)

So the months cannot go fast enough for me till 2020 is released...

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone.

It is my hope that they do not make the same mistake they did with their previous versions, that is, to have and Artist in charge of the project.

It is important that if one gets inside the cockpit, the users / pilots get the view that is available in a real airplane. For most users, including some pilots, this is a minor issue, but as a CFI this becomes an important point. During instructing, the view of the top of cowl and wing tips along with the proper instrument panel view, in any Cessna / high wing, must be as close to real as possible. It is much easier to do that in low wings but still important. All those points are used during VFR training.

There must be at least one High performance, complex, acft like a C182 RG and a C172 with both Analog and Digital instruments.

Include at least one acft in the LSA / light category which can be a lot more difficult to handle in Xwind conditions.

The Flight dynamics must be as close to real in all phases of flight, as possible. I expect to get in and perform a L-8, Chandelle, Steep turn, Slow flight, Taxi / ground, Ground effect, and Xwind TOs and Landings to give you the overall visual feel of the real in flight sensation. Some example, for the C172, if you are in a bank of

The Numbers, in particular in the Slow regime / Pattern, must be as accurate as possible, if I get in a real vs sim C172 I should be able to set / get a specific performance for the same settings as I do in a real acft.

Make the aftermarket development as accessible as possible to allow users to make changes / develop their own models. This is what kept, and still keeps, the previous versions alive and without it it is likely to have a very short life cycle.

It sounds like they have the external environment solved, but there must be a view where the pilot can view maybe emphasize, the ground reference points. which was better in FSX than in some existing / active simulators, but can still use some help.

It is my hope that they select someone, either in the active team, or tester, that actually knows how the basic acft performs and listen to them.

Keep away from useless effects, reflections, smoke, fire... that just use up CPU / GPU time.

Without some of the above mentioned points it will just be another sim, and they already exist.

The Flight dynamics must be as close to real in all phases of flight, as possible. I expect to get in and perform a L-8, Chandelle, Steep turn, Slow flight, Taxi / ground, Ground effect, and Xwind TOs and Landings to give you the overall visual feel of the real in flight sensation. Some example, for the C172, if you are in a bank of

The Numbers, in particular in the Slow regime / Pattern, must be as accurate as possible, if I get in a real vs sim C172 I should be able to set / get a specific performance for the same settings as I do in a real acft.

It is my hope that they select someone, either in the active team, or tester, that actually knows how the basic acft performs and listen to them.

Have a look at episode 3 of their Discovery Series to see what they're doing with the aerodynamics, and who they're involving in the development.

Hi Loki.

I like the theoretical description but I hope that they are able to implement it in the real / simulated aircraft. Many times the implementation cannot keep up with the theory, due to many facts, most likely the throughput of the systems used.

If they cannot get a smooth, fluid sensation, all the theory is not likely to help.

I hope they can get it done. I am looking forward to it.

• 1 year later...

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx

The standard edition has almost all airports in he world. What the other editions offer are select hand crafted airports with enhanced scenery, plus additional aircraft!
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

Exactly, I went with the mid-price Deluxe because as a Chicago resident I wanted the fancier version of O'Hare Airport. Though I still wish they would have ignored realism and included my beloved (now defunct) Meigs Field on the lakefront.

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx

Goto https://flightsim.to/file/4444/kcgx-meigs-field and download it... You'll love it!

Exactly, I went with the mid-price Deluxe because as a Chicago resident I wanted the fancier version of O'Hare Airport. Though I still wish they would have ignored realism and included my beloved (now defunct) Meigs Field on the lakefront.

J-Louis Belard, 6 miles SW of KGAI

Dell XPS,8930, I-7 9700, 32GB DD4,

512 SSD, 2TB HD, 6GB GeForce GTX 1660

Thanks for the link - just downloaded it and will fire up MSFS to give it a look-see.

OK, I admit it, I was grinning like a school kid when I jumped into my C152, took off from Midway and headed East. When the Meigs POI flag appeared a little over 5nm out I was filled with anticipatory delight, landed at Meigs landed and taxied over to the little terminal building and at once realized all was again well with the world.

Mega-thanks to ichankal for the creation and even more thanks for the free download.