Do you ever turn left to go right?

Or vice versa?

When approaching a waypoint in FS where I have to make a greater than ninety degree turn, I usually find it easier to fly a few seconds past the point and then turn in the opposite direction until I line up with the desired heading.

This is particularly useful when a procedure requires a turn at an NDB. I'm flying historical (i.e., no GPS), so I don't know when I get to the NDB until I have passed it. I fly on a few seconds, and then turn the other way until I come back and cross over the beacon again (this time on the new heading) and I'm on my way.

The procedure charts are silent on this; they seem to assume that you can swivel instantly over the NDB (or other waypoint).

What do you real pilots do?

• 3 weeks later...
Or vice versa?

When approaching a waypoint in FS where I have to make a greater than ninety degree turn, I usually find it easier to fly a few seconds past the point and then turn in the opposite direction until I line up with the desired heading.

This is particularly useful when a procedure requires a turn at an NDB. I'm flying historical (i.e., no GPS), so I don't know when I get to the NDB until I have passed it. I fly on a few seconds, and then turn the other way until I come back and cross over the beacon again (this time on the new heading) and I'm on my way.

The procedure charts are silent on this; they seem to assume that you can swivel instantly over the NDB (or other waypoint).

What do you real pilots do?

I never overfly an NDB.

The key to using the NDB is the deflection, and more than 10 degrees offset is key to using the deflection. As one overflies the NDB one can only enter a period of uncertainty and the only time to do that is when already on course to or from the waypoint that follows the NDB.

I always bisect the course to the NDB so that I always turning toward the eventual target and never away, because of the potential for conflict with inbound aircraft now at high speed due to the combined velocity.

In your example, I would make a 45 degree turn to reduce the angle of offset, maintaining roughly half the offset - 15-20 degrees is more than enough to anticipate the next turn.