Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Just started getting oom crashes

Default Just started getting oom crashes

I have been flying FSX-SE for 9 months with no OUT OF MEMORY CRASHES. A couple weeks ago I stated getting Out Of Memory Crashes for the first time.

I've read tons of posts on this matter so I understand a 32 bit simulator only has 4 gigs of game memory. So I tried lowering all the sliders way down from what I had been using but it continues to happen.

I can't make a 60 mile flight without getting an OOM Crash. Also the longer the flight goes on my FPS gets lower and lower.

Also every time I verify game files on Steam there is always exactly 8034 files not verified and then it acquires the missing files.

Does anyone know why after 9 months with no OOM's it just started happening? I don't have any detailed scenery other than Orbx Global, North America, and Vector.

Any suggestions on how to fix this problem?

Thanks in advance for any help with this problem.

2. Default

For me personally, I find Steam to be a steamy pile of crap and refuse to use it. I bought FSX Deluxe on eBay. And any game I want to use I try to get the DVD. Albeit, I play a lot of old games.

The issue with an OOM is usually with scenery. It will consume the RAM and then you get an OOM. In my signature below I have a link on OOMs from PMDG. Since you don't have a bunch of add-ons, I'm assuming what ever those files are that are being dumped into your Sim are the cause to an out of memory condition.

Can you see what those file are?
    My forum project. Click me
    OOM errors? Read this.
    Pick an Amazon wish list, help a child out
    From RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the orange glow of a SAM.

By all means read CRJ's OOM explanation, it's good learning material.

Remember also that an OOM comes from a combination of factors, not just the settings in FSX.CFG. I do not have ORBX, but if during installation there was an option for choosing a high level of detail, dense scenery etc etc, this would play heavily into the causes of the OOM.

Jorgen

Jorgen is right, I have Orbx and there is an option to have less detail/s like static aircraft, different grass and trees, some animated objects plus those robot people, I have a lot of it turned off or down.

If you think about it you are only at the airfield a short time anyway, most of the time you are flying, but lots of people do have problems with Orbx, you only have to go on their support forum and see for yourself.

Col.

Hi,

If it has only just started happening it's worth thinking about anything that might have changed. If you can't think of anything that you might have changed, or changed due to an update of any software, i would backup my fsx.cfg by renaming it then restart the sim to allow fsx to create a new fsx.cfg file.

If this doesn't do the trick you may as well re-instate your old cfg file. If it does you may then need to alter your settings in fsx back to how you like them ( or edit fsx.cfg in notepad to get the desired settings).

Good luck, i know from experience how frustrating OOM's can be.

Stinger

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

There are some videos, and other tips and tricks on how to re-set and increase the RAM's cache while a program is still running (like FSX). Don't know if that is your particular problem though, or how many gigs of RAM you have? (I just purchased additional slots of RAM recently that totally stopped the oom crashes).

Are you flying at higher altitudes at about 28,000 feet or higher? For some reason this is when I get my OOM's. ORBX also uses up a lot of memory. I usually do not have issues at lower altitudes but did have one plane that was causing issues. It had about 600MB of hi-def textures plus the repaint had over 300MB of textures. Redid the textures, cut them in half which is actually cuts them down to quarter size and that fixed the issues without any noticeable degradation. Are you using FSUIPC4? It has a memory monitor feature in the "logging" section. I am not sure if you need the registered version or not for this feature. Under "Specific value checks" enter “offset” 024C and “type” U32. In the "Display to" section check "FS Window" if you are using full screen and "FS Title Bar" if you are using FSX in a window. You can also check more than one item. This will show up in your main window memory or title bar with a number indicating how much memory you have left. Watch what happens to this value as you fly, you can also try various scenery configurations and settings and see what happens with your memory.

Quote Originally Posted by B44 View Post
    ….

Also every time I verify game files on Steam there is always exactly 8034 files not verified and then it acquires the missing files.

….other than Orbx Global, North America, and Vector.
    As others have stated OOMs errors can be caused by a number of things and can frustrating to resolve. I suspect that, in this case, it is due to missing default scenery files AND is possible associated with the very basic set of addons that you have. Answering these Qs may give important pointers as to what the issue is.

Q1. Are you able to ID what these files are and/or the location within FSX where they are stored?

Q2. Are they the same files each time?

Q3. Does this happen in all FSX regions or in only one specific region - North America for example - or is it in a more specific area of a region - XX miles North of a specific location?
    Regards

Brian

First of all thanks for your replies.

In this post I will try to address all the replies.

KEEP IN MIND THESE OOM'S JUST STARTED HAPPENING A COUPLE WEEKS AGO OUT OF NOWHERE. I've been using this set-up without any additional addons for 9 months and never got one before.

Changes made over the last month due to other problems:

I ran the "VERIFY GAME FILES" for the FSX-SE, and for all of my Orbx addons which are:
    Global Base Pack - Global Open Land Class for NA, SA and SA Mesh, and EUROPE. Also VECTOR, TREES HD, AIRPORT PACK, LIGHTS CONFIGUATOR, and ORBX LIBRARIES.

Then I ran the Vector Tool (Automatic Configuration) as in the instructions.

These Orbx programs were installed using FTX Central v 3. During installation it didn't give any choices as Jorgen referred to. And remember there were no OOM's for months after their installation.

I have 16 Gigs of physical ram. But my understanding is physical ram has nothing to do with OOM's. Correct me if I'm wrong please.

The computer I use was built for flight simulators. It is used for my flight simulator only.

I hope this information gives you guys more to work with in trying to figure out this problem.
    I've been reading and watching you tube videos for hours a pond hours and can't find why it would start out of nowhere after 9 months with no OOM's.

Quote Originally Posted by longbreak754 View Post
    As others have stated OOMs errors can be caused by a number of things and can frustrating to resolve. I suspect that, in this case, it is due to missing default scenery files AND is possible associated with the very basic set of addons that you have. Answering these Qs may give important pointers as to what the issue is.

Q1. Are you able to ID what these files are and/or the location within FSX where they are stored?

Q2. Are they the same files each time?

Q3. Does this happen in all FSX regions or in only one specific region - North America for example - or is it in a more specific area of a region - XX miles North of a specific location?

Hi Brian,

Q1. No I can't ID these files or location. I never tried and I wouldn't know how.

Q2. Not sure but it seems to always be exactly 8034 files that do not verify.

Q3. I've only been flying in North America, New Jersey to be specific. All low and slow with a Cessna 172. I fly from Atlantic City International airport to Philadelphia international airport quite a lot for practice. The OOM's started during one of these flights as a matter of fact. It also seems to be worst on night flights. If you are familiar with New Jersey, between these two airports there is not much scenery. I can't remember if it ever happened in other states or continents because I stay in Jersey most of the time.

I also have Mega Scenery Earth New Jersey installed but I have it unchecked in the scenery library. I never use it.

I will try flying in other areas today and let you know if it happens.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast