Any Way to Fix See-Through Prop & Cockpit Textures?

Is it possible to fix these see-through textures on this RANS S-7C Courier (by Steve Grant)? The aircraft was originally for FS9 but I've been trying to get it to work properly in FSX, since there isn't really any other RANS aircraft for FSX other than the S-12XL. I'm trying to "fix" or update this plane for myself in FSX and while I was able to replace the gauges with FSX ones, I can't figure out how to fix the prop & cockpit see-through textures. I tried the prop textures from the default J-3 Cub, and I've switched the type of file on the default S-7 prop between DDS and BMP, DTX 1, 3, and 5, and I haven't been able to fix it. I followed David Marshall's FSX prop textures fix tutorial, I created a new alpha (assuming I did it correctly), but that didn't do the trick either. Is this fixable or is this a modeling issue that I can't fix & will just have to live with it?

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/541342645683879976/626494176095109121/1.PNG

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/541342645683879976/626494172173434913/3.PNG

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/541342645683879976/626494167706763264/2.PNG

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/541342645683879976/626494164858830849/5.PNG

Is this a free downloadable plane? If so, provide me the link & I will take a look into it. I have fixed a few that some said there were no fixes for.

Yes it is a freeware plane. I think I originally got it from AVSIM, but you can also find it on Simviation. Here's the link to the plane: https://simviation.com/1/search?submit=1&keywords=+Rans+S7c+Courier&x=0&y=0

Alright thanks for trying. I'm not very skilled in FSX aircraft modeling (at least yet; if my Sonex project goes well) so I can't fix it either; only the missing gauges in the panel & VC. The aircraft is still very fun to fly though; and it's not as bad from the VC other than the see-through hole/texture in the cockpit floor (and I fly 95% from the cockpit).

Okay, Johnny Boy, I downloaded and managed to get it working by doing the following:

1) It's an FS9 download, sometimes you have to replace the panel and/or sound to get these downloads to work. I said, sometimes, and this download I had to do both.

2) I have a Cessna 170A aircraft that I found a panel on one of the sites. It was very similiar to what the S7 looked like. I deleted the original panel and copied the C170 panel over and all is good there.

3) Now, the sound. You can probably copy and paste the FSX sounds from the default C172 over to your download and all should be good!

4) One thing you still will be left with it the dark side glass. And, the clear windscreen not present?

I haven't a clue of how you can get those fixed, but at least the plane flies well. Not too fast. Oh, and BTW, aircraft.cfg, had the MAX rpm at 5800, which I don't know how that happened, but you will have to change that down to a respectable 2700 RPM. Okay, now for the pics! Good luck and enjoy!

Oh, now, I read this aircraft has a Rotax powerplant. Could be the reason they have the RPM configured so high?

2019-9-27_21-9-59-905.jpg

2019-9-27_21-11-21-320.jpg

Note: All was done using a 2d panel. If you are wanting a VC setup, I can't help you!

Rick :cool:

Edited by Downwind66

I simply swapped out all the missing gauges for the default C172's gauges. I may play around with the gauges more and see what different configurations I can make. Just an experiment but I'm curious if I could fit a Garmin G1000 in the VC panel, since it's a flat 2D panel and non of it is 3D. As for sound, I used the rotax 582 sound from the default Air Creation Trike ultralight and removed the wind sounds, so it sounds like your in an enclosed cockpit. Worked like a charm! Yea the RPM being that high has to do with it being powered by the Rotax 912. I'm still experimenting with this plane, and ironically despite it being an old FS9 plane that has some modeling issues in FSX, it's actually become a favorite of mine for being able to land on river gravel bars so easily, and the climb-rate is very good getting out of tight spots, something my LHC Piper Pacer 180 bushplane kind of struggles with. It's a very fun plane to toy around, and I'm gonna keep tinkering with it and customize it to my liking - like a true experimental kitplane :p (at least the parts I can modify/tinker with)

So did the different panel fix the glitched prop texture/model?

If a texture is missing the area will show as black in fsx.

So if you have a transparant area it is not because of a missing texture.

Models may not be edited (for copyright reasons). So there is nothing you/we can do about that transparant area.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Johnny Boy, there is another option for you in the library here, it's the FS2004 Bellanca Scout by Long Island Classics Design Team, filename: 8gcbc04a.zip. As you can see, you still need to swap out the older default gauges for the FSX equivalents, but there are no transparency issues with this model:

SCOUT1.JPG

SCOUT2.JPG

This model has a self-installer which I installed to my desktop, then copied only the files I wanted into my FSX folder. The installer also includes wheels, floats and skis versions as well as the tundra model I copied into my FSX folder, which is SP2 with Steve's DX10 fixer.

Edited by tiger1962

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Johnny Boy, there is another option for you in the library here, it's the FS2004 Bellanca Scout by Long Island Classics Design Team, filename: 8gcbc04a.zip. As you can see, you still need to swap out the older default gauges for the FSX equivalents, but there are no transparency issues with this model:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]212364[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]212365[/ATTACH]

This model has a self-installer which I installed to my desktop, then copied only the files I wanted into my FSX folder. The installer also includes wheels, floats and skis versions as well as the tundra model I copied into my FSX folder, which is SP2 with Steve's DX10 fixer.

I actually have that Bellanca Scout in my FSX aircraft library already, and I think I downloaded an updated version that was already fixed for FSX. I also have the Champ & Decathlon made by the same developers.

I have had aircraft with nagging faults, I try to rectify them the best way I can but... if I can't then I bite the bullet and get rid, no point in struggling any longer.

I don't give up straight away mind, I do my best to get it right so don't misunderstand me.

Col.

I am out of options then I own Wilco Tilt and it became transparent, awful! In windows10 (x64) installation, even though win10 uses dx12 I installed dx10 by unchecking the box the textures became solid.Your textures aren't bad,though I can see why they bother you. Perhaps you can open the model and edit the prop textures by changing the Alpha channel using a BMP program,begore anything make a copy of the orininal and save it somewhere safe.

Berlopez

Edited by berlopez

I also have Windows 7 instead of 10. I have absolutely no clue how to create or edit alpha channels on textures, especially with paint.NET. I looked into alpha channels when I was doing a repaint awhile ago for the LHC Piper Pacer, and I wanted to add shiny chrome to the prop/spinner, but couldn't figure out out. Instead I just painted it gray and added a little bit of noise to the prop paint.

@berlopez, I too have the Wilco Tilt and I have Windows10 but mine shows up OK.

I wanted the shiny chrome on one of my aircraft, I just copied and pasted the chrome prop texture from the one that had it and pasted it in the one I wanted it on, then backed up the original in case it went wrong then renamed the pasted one to the original name.

Col.