Flameouts

Sailor__911

Hi Everyone.

I'm having a problem with my stock King Air C-90. After approx. 70 to 75 min flight time both engines flameout on me. Sometimes I loose a gen first and sometimes I get one or both fuel press low indications and then the flameout. Twice I have been able to do an air start and get one or the other engine back online in time to save my hour + time, but normally I wind up crashing.

I have looked under the customize window and failures isn't selected. I have to get out of the sim and restart it to clear up the malfunctions, but when I try to fly it again, at just over an hour I loose both engines again.

This is a Steam version of X-Plane-11. I tried the file repair option in the steam window under Properties with no success. I Uninstalled the sim, re-booted my computer and re-Installed the sim but this one Aircraft still gives me trouble.

Any help would be Great.

THANKS

Sailor__911

Guest lavochkin

I have the same problem with the Carenado C90B. But my engines shut down at 8000ft every time. I have not been able to fix it or restart the engines because you can not reset the generators in the Carenado c90.

Never had a problem with the default C90. I am with steam also.

Sounds like you're running shy on fuel. A LOT of variables go into the range you can achieve. Passenger weight, fuel weight, climb speed, cruise speed, baggage weight, winds aloft, engine condition, etc, etc. The list is looooong (not too distinguished, though :cool: ).

Sounds like you're trying to use fuel that is either not transferring from tanks someplace to the main use tanks, not transferring fast enough, should have been used first, or something.

Do you check the quantity you have in the tanks, ALL the tanks, and have the proper fuel pumps running? Do you calculate the fuel you need for the total trip, start to finish , plus reserves, etc, before you start, and then ensure you have that fuel aboard? Are all the proper tanks, main, wings, auxiliary, etc filled with the correct amounts? Are the transfer orders set and utilized correctly? Are you at the optimum altitude for the weight you're carrying?

That's what it sounds like to me, anyway. Probably wrong, though.

Good fortune to you!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Sounds like fuel isn't getting to the engines.

LR made changes recently to the C90, the fuel system is now fully modelled, so it is important to use the boost and transfer pumps as per POH. If you don't have the transfer pumps on, even though you have the boost pumps on and plenty of fuel, no fuel is going to get transferred from wing tanks to nacelle, and the engines only get fuel from the nacelle tanks.

That could be the issue...

IanQ

Guest lavochkin
My transfer pumps are in auto as per the check list put out by carenado. But I will try turning the transfer pumps to on and see. I ain't buying it, but worth a try.

I am speaking of the default C90, Carenado may be modelling the fuel system differently.

FWIW, on the default C90, I have boost pumps on from engine startup to shutdown(not sure this is realistic but Xplane seems to need them on at all times); transfer pumps are in auto only if I have fuel in the wing tanks. Once fuel drops below approximately 61 gallons, I get NO-FUEL-XFR warnings, which means the wing tanks are dry and all remaining fuel is in the nacelle tanks, so I turn the transfer pumps off.

One thing I do is keep crossfeed off, I was getting some anomalies with it in auto or on. There is a video from King Air Academy that actually pushes the concept of keeping crossfeed off for better situational awareness should a fuel pump issue arise.

Anyhow, doing it this way I have had 3 hour flights in the default C90 with no issues.

IanQ

Guest lavochkin

This info for Sailor_911 might be usefull, But I have flown the default c90 many times with the transfer pumps in auto and have never had an engine flameout. So we are talking about two different aircraft. The next time I fly the carenado c90B I will try flying with the transfer pumps on and not in auto. If it works great, I really like this aircraft. It is my favorite aircraft in X-Plane 11. I have over a 1000 flight hours in this plane. And this problem started with the update to version 11.36. In which your right, LR change the fuel system in the 11.36 update.

Cheers

Have you contacted Carenado about this, they may need to update their c90 to accommodate the new fuel system modelling LR made in 11.36. When 11.36 came out, I had to start managing the fuel system in order not to have fuel starvation issues or warnings, before than I could ignore fuel other than quantity as the fuel system wasn't modelled at all.