How to increase rudder effectiveness?

PabloJM

As a GA pilot I loved to do forward slips. You know, roll to one side and add opposite rudder to lose altitude quickly. I find that in FSX airplanes this doesn't work; there simply isn't enough rudder authority.

I've tried some serious aerobatics with the Extra 300 but the rudder just isn't very powerful. It won't do knife-edge flight or even forward slips, which is absurd. Is it a shortcoming of FSX, or of the airplane.cfg files?

Bottom line: How can one (if at all) increase the rudder effectiveness on a FSX airplane?

Thanks to all you fellow airplane nuts.

Love,

PabloJM

Unfortunately, the lack of spinnable aircraft is more than just a problem with insufficient rudder authority. A friend (now deceased) managed to make a number of FSX/P3D aircraft spinnable and slippable (among other improvements), and told me that center of gravity, various yaw effects (in the .air and .cfg files) and several other parameters needed to be modified, each found by experiment/testing on each individual aircraft -- there was no one-size-fits-all solution. He spent from 50 to, in some cases, well over a hundred hours of experiments and testing on each aircraft he changed, and that's after spending the last 20 years or so learning about what makes a Microsoft FS-type aircraft tick. So many things that you change will affect many other things, as well.

He sure had more patience than I ever could. He was a real world pilot and flight instructor with more than 10,000 hours in a large variety of aircraft, and had a very analytical mind.

Edited by lnuss

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

As a GA pilot I loved to do forward slips. You know, roll to one side and add opposite rudder to lose altitude quickly. I find that in FSX airplanes this doesn't work; there simply isn't enough rudder authority.

I've tried some serious aerobatics with the Extra 300 but the rudder just isn't very powerful. It won't do knife-edge flight or even forward slips, which is absurd. Is it a shortcoming of FSX, or of the airplane.cfg files?

Bottom line: How can one (if at all) increase the rudder effectiveness on a FSX airplane?

Thanks to all you fellow airplane nuts.

Love,

PabloJM

It has little to do with rudder effectiveness. This was known shortly after FSX release in 2006 and has been the subject of thousands of posts since.

Suggest you learn what the .air file and the aircraft.cfg can do, and take it from there...

I made FDEs for Extra 300 and Sukhoi 26 back in 2012. They could do just about everything (depending on pilot skill, of course). I made a video: https://youtu.be/9bodec2Ycn0 . I will look for the FDEs. I lost a hard drive in 2012. But maybe they were backed up. I could do an upload of just the FDEs. Give a day or two. I'll be baaaaccckkkk.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

I found the 2011 Extra 300 FDEs but not the 2012 FDEs. They might be the same one? At any rate..I just tried them and the Extra is almost too sensative but it did do knife edge (you can fly knife edge all day long). I will work on FDEs to see if I can make it crab (wind was 5 kts) so did not do it. I, myself, don't need to crab an extra (hehe). I ziped the whold thing, not just the FDEs, except for the panel gauges (mistake-mo!). Here is MediFire download link: http://www.mediafire.com/file/d4800t6blbiuifu/E300Mods.zip/file . Let me know what needs done and I will tweak it further. Cheers.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).