Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Why FSX over FS9?

Quote Originally Posted by lnuss View Post
    What you are saying is that FS9 with all the add-ons that you have is better for you, and you are the first I've seen in this thread to admit that your comparison includes all those add-ons in FS9, then compare with a default FSX?!?!
    You haven't read my posts.

I am comparing both sims fully pumped up with the best add-ons available today.
    I have suggested FS9 is the better sim because if you pump up both sims, the visual difference is little but the performance difference and enjoyment difference is immense. I don't have to worry about how long I fly or worry about making sure I've turned scenery or detail down enough so hopefully I can finish my flight without the sim crashing. I never have these things to worry about. My FPS is locked and my frames never move from the locked value no matter what plane or scenery I am using. Battling FPS, stutters, VAS, this takes away huge enjoyment of flight simming for no real benefit.

Of course people may be drawn to a sim because of particular add-ons. That's fine and totally understandable. My point is, if you look at and compare each sim from an overall and general perspective, FS9 is the better sim. I totally stand by this statement because it appears I am the only one who has compared both sims with modern add-ons.
    Last edited by Max50; 10-04-2019 at 07:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Max50 View Post
    You haven't read my posts.

I am comparing both sims fully pumped up with the best add-ons available today.
    I have suggested FS9 is the better sim because if you pump up both sims, the visual difference is little but the performance difference and enjoyment difference is immense. I don't have to worry about how long I fly or worry about making sure I've turned scenery or detail down enough so hopefully I can finish my flight without the sim crashing. I never have these things to worry about. My FPS is locked and my frames never move from the locked value no matter what plane or scenery I am using. Battling FPS, stutters, VAS, this takes away huge enjoyment of flight simming for no real benefit.

Of course people may be drawn to a sim because of particular add-ons. That's fine and totally understandable. My point is, if you look at and compare each sim from an overall and general perspective, FS9 is the better sim. I totally stand by this statement because it appears I am the only one who has compared both sims with modern add-ons.
    Nope: P3Dv4.5 completely renders FS9 meaningless.
    As you would expect from obsolescent software from the early 2000's when compared with something advanced by some of the smartest simulator developers on the Planet in the past 7-8 years for the hardware of today not the misguided beliefs of where hardware was going based on crystal balls of the late 90's...

Even X-Plane today makes FS9 look ridiculously bad.

Technology has evolved. You don't make a 1900 Model T into a 2019 F1 car by bolting on a turbocharged motor...

Quote Originally Posted by Max50 View Post
    Why can't grown adults discuss a couple of games without acting like someone is trying to steal their car or something? lol

Nevermind...FSX is better...
    I was just letting you know what you should have suspected over the last 49 posts. It never fails when "discussing" 2 different Sims.
    Mr Zippy Sent from my keyboard using "Whackamole", NudgeAKey + 2 Fingers

Emachines T3418 AMD 3400+ processor 2GHZ/256KB L2 Cashe 2Gig Ram 160Gig HDD NVidia GEForce 6100 GPU Running WinXP Home Can't believe it still works! Running FSX Standard with SP1 and SP2

Quote Originally Posted by mrzippy View Post
    I was just letting you know what you should have suspected over the last 49 posts. It never fails when "discussing" 2 different Sims.
    Oh, I know, it's why I rarely post on forums and likely will go back to my cave again soon.
    This thread has shown that people have not run FS9 for years, have no idea what is even available for it let alone tried any of it.

It makes things very difficult when you try to get a comparison of the 2 sims and the only threads you can find with any decent discussion are those from FSX release which offer incredibly little value today. Topics that keep coming up do so because there is great interest in these topics. If people don't want participate, don't.

I know I have made the right decision for myself with choice of sim. I also know many have made the wrong choice.
    After running both sims the last few weeks, here is my modern evaluation and advice.

- If you are running FSX, have sliders turned down, are sitting there dealing with FPS or stutters or VAS because you think you are using the visually superior sim, you are dead wrong!
    - If you are using FSX because you must have particular add-ons only available for FSX then FSX is for you.
    -If you think equivalent add-ons for FSX must be greatly visually superior to FS9, you are again very wrong! I have found little difference visually in identical payware add-ons. The only real difference I found in the 2 sims is around 40-50FPS! lol

Both sims have their good points here and there which the other may not have but again, it's a very balanced situation.

I asked a question at the beginning of this thread, got some answers, none of which have made me reconsider my choice. My view on the sims from my recent comparisons I have written above. For anyone reading this and looking for some information more recent than a 2006 thread, hope it helps.

The fact is, once I changed sims - firstly from FS2004 to FSX, then from FSX to P3D, I have deleted the old sim and used the new one exclusively.

Never felt I was missing out in any way, only experiencing the advances from the new version unmatched by ANY addon in the old...

The fact is the hardware platform was decrepit, long before its replacement. Nothing to do with addons.

I got one for you: How about waiting for FS11 (2020) to come out and then they can lock this thread as FS11 will be multi-core, won't load scenery and problems that causes, and be as real as the real world. You can find your street, and your house. It will be a game changer. Not everthing you want will be available right away as they plan to upgrade in stages as the software is developed (using feedback, etc). You won't EVEN think of FSX AND/OR FS9 once they put FS11 out.
    Chuck B
    Napamule
    i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D. FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Quote Originally Posted by napamule2 View Post
    You won't EVEN think of FSX AND/OR FS9 once they put FS11 out.
    Not so sure. I'm not at all excited about the new sim. I'm not following development closely by any means but from the little I have read, snippets are now starting to come out about reality.
    No seasons just for starters is a total end all. It appears MSFS will travel the typical modern day game route of releasing a partially complete product.

I'll be excited when MSFS has all the features I would expect and can be run well on an average machine. I've never witnessed such hysteria for any game.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by napamule2 View Post
    You can find your street, and your house.
    Chuck B
    Napamule
    So, FS 9 and X with Megascenery photoreal scenery?
    Dell XPS X8300 Intel core i7-2600(3.4 GHZ,8 MB Cache) 8 GB memory 1.5 TB HDD 2 GB Nvidia 1050 ti graphics card Windows 7

Quote Originally Posted by kingnorris View Post
    So, FS 9 and X with Megascenery photoreal scenery?
    Photoreal scenery, like Megascenery, is flat, whereas the upcoming sim's scenery is much higher resolution as well as being drawn in 3D.

10. Default

One of the first things I noticed about FSX is, you naturally have interior sound for both.

FSX has exterior engine sounds that change on the intake and exhaust side. Panning around is realistic.

FS2004 just has a exterior engine sound that does not change when panning.
    Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64gb 2666, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 NVMe 250Gb and 1Tb, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Logitech M570/K800 Wireless Trackball/Keyboard, Windows 7 64 Ultimate/10 Pro

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast