New to x-plane, most impressed! Where to start on optimizing settings?

iainso

After a long hiatus from flight simming I'm now back, and with a more powerful PC.

I always used to play FSX on my old core2duo, it was never up to running the latest xplane.

Just purchased xplane 11, along with TrueEarth South UK Demo and getting my feet wet.

First impressions are very good, only thing that disappointed a little was the default scenery isn't great. The trueearth scenery does a nice job though, and the free demo even has my local Ikea in Southampton.

I was looking at the settings menu and see some of them (particularly antialiasing) are set low by default.

Are these initial settings based on what it detects my system can handle, or are they the same for every install?

What is a good location/aircraft from which to test and benchmark performance? I used to use Rio, and a fast jet in FSX.

What settings are my system likely able to handle? I have a single 28" monitor, an SSD, and 32Gb RAM (in addition to the specs in my signature)

Was thinking about further investing in VR or multi-monitor, would my system be up to it?

Iain

AMD Ryzen 5 3600X

AMD RADEON RX 5700XT

Hi Iain.

The default settings are what they consider to be good for most users, and it may not apply to you.

Your system will have a very difficult time running XP11. Try most slides to the left to start with, the worst offenders are Objects, try None to Medium, AA none -2, Reflections None, Shadows None, and your Resolution, try around 1080P max.

In addition many of the acft models are more demanding, start with the C172.

There are / is a Benchmark that you can run but that will give you no real answers / help, just a reference to where you are vs. others.

Thanks for the advice, one thing though

"Your system will have a very difficult time running XP11."

I was tearing it up around the alps in a phantom last night, with default settings, getting 60fps looked like. Pretty sure my system more than meets the recommended specs.

Iain

AMD Ryzen 5 3600X

AMD RADEON RX 5700XT

Hi Iain.

That is great, I would like to know your settings. I have a system that is easily 2x as powerful as you have and I struggle to get around 25FPS in 4K mode with C172.

How you define "looked like"? Did you actually turn on the FPS info line? I only use GA acft, but I've never seen seen anything in the 60s with any setting and or acft.

Can you post your settings, Resolution, acft...??

It sounds like I could use some help?

If you are not happy with 60FPS it is likely that you will never be happy. I would take 30 fluid any day.

Yes, that looks about right. You will likely not see many / most of the objects, try to get at least Medium.

For me anything less than 4K, Effects and Texture Max and 4XAA, and Field of view 90%, is not acceptable. Try that with a couple of circuits during Dusk around LAX, in the Zebo or C172 inside the Cpit, and let us know how you do.

If you are happy with going around the empty scenery, and jaggies, that is perfectly fine. Stay with it.