Botched Uninstall ... Unable to Reinstall

Wintersedge

My attempts to uninstall FSX on my computer failed. As a result, I'm unable to re-install FSX. I hope someone is able to help.

Microsoft FSX is not in my uninstall list.

Where FSX resided onmy harddrive is now empty of any FSX folders etc.

When I insert my DVD to reinstall FSX, the installer comes up with either the option to repair or remove. (Which off course is impossible considering it was removed ... albeit with error)

When I try to remove I get "Error number:0x80040702; Description: Failed to load DLL: GameuxinstallHelper; Setup will no terminate."

With repair, I get a progress box "Copying new files", the DVD drive chatters away for a few seconds, then everything stops. No chattering, no progress. I have to CTRL-ALT-DEL to exit setup.

Anyone?

Edited by Wintersedge

Thanks for your reply Al v. I'm not sure what you mean. Are you suggesting I reformat the drive I had FSX on? It's a 4TB drive. I'd lose a lot of content doing that and really not a great option. I had FSX on drive E:, a second harddrive from my OS drive.

I don't even get to a point in my reinstallation to define where to install it. It bails installation before I can tell it to install on E. Maybe I'm missing your message.

format is not needed. Uninstall payware addons if you can. Having those properly uninstalled will help when tying to reinstall them.

You can then uninstall fsx.

If you already deleted the fsx files uninstall from Windows Control Panel won't work. In that case you'll need to use kb928080 (now no longer available from Microsoft but available on FlyAwaySimulation.com as resetsldl.exe )

kb928080 removes the registry entries of Fsx; so that the Fsx Install disk will no longer think "fsx is already installed on this pc so I won't install it again".

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?317653-To-re-install-or-not

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?316235-fsx-partial-install

Edited by il88pp
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Or install a free program like CCleaner that can clean up the Registry. I could not live without CCleaner (CrapCleaner)! :)

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.5GHz; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti 11GB GDDR5X; ASRock Z270 K6 Gaming MB, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM; 500GB SSD + 2TB HDD; Windows 10 Pro 64-bit; 34" 21:9 curved 4K Monitor

Choose repair, wait for it to finish. start the installer again and choose uninstall.

You should then be able to do a fresh install. Copy aircraft folders etc to another place and add them back after re-install.

FSX does not like to be uninstalled via Control panel!

Sorry, but what was said there is incorrect.

--

What Enko says there is not true.

FSX can be uninstalled perfectly fine through Control Panel.

One thing you need to remember when doing that.

If you have FSX disk Edition you probably installed in two steps. First you installed FSX. And then you installed either SP1&SP2 or installed Acceleration.

And in that situation you have to uninstall in two steps as well. Uninstall FSX Acceleration (or SP2) from control Panel.

Reboot. And then again go to Control Panel, this time to uninstall FSX itself.

It really is that simple. Uninstalling FSX properly like that you would not have any issues with reinstalling.

Your other advise, to choose "repair" won't work either. For repair to work the FSX files need to still be there. If they have been deleted manually clicking "Repair" in the installer program will do nothing.

-------------

I explained that now you uninstalled by deleting files your FSX registry entry is still there and how you need to use kb928080 to remove the registry entry for FSX.

Johnost, your advise to use CCleaner to remove this registry entry is incorrect. CCleaner will do no such thing.

He will have to use kb928080.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

…..Johnost, your advise to use CCleaner to remove this registry entry is incorrect. CCleaner will do no such thing.

He will have to use kb928080.

This info is also incorrect.

Tools like CCleaner checks the registry for invalid, corrupt and orphaned registry keys in all of the registry. It will therefore delete any orphaned FSX related keys left behind by the botched uninstall

The KB is actually intended/designed to RESET a specific key to resolve a known issue - that relating to how many times FSX has been installed and/or failed attempts to install. It will only check for the associated key related to this.

Edited by longbreak754
Added additional info in BOLD

Regards

Brian

CCleaner only removes registry entry's that are meet behind after uninstalling a program in the proper way.

If you simply delete the Fsx files then Fsx is not uninstalled in the proper way, Windows will tell CCleaner Fsx is correctly installed, and CCleaner will therefore not touch the fsx registry entry's.

All CCleaner does is clean registry entrys that are left behind after uninstalling properly. It only removes entry's that it knows are not needed. The ones it knows belong to unhurtalled programs. (uninstalled meaning properly removed using the programs Uninstaller or Control Panel.).

Actually, the registry entry's that CCleaner does remove could all be left in place if you want. They won't hurt anything as they belong to programs that have been properly removed. So even if you don't use CCleaner you can reinstall those programs just fine.)

Again, to remove the Fsx entry's that are left after simply deleting the fsx folders you will have to use kb928080.

----

There is no kb that fixes a "too many installs" problem.

To fix that problem you would have to contact Microsoft by phone.

(You would also get "too many installs" if your fsx is installed on a second pc as well. In that case you would have to uninstall from the old pc before trying to install on the new one.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well, I've learned another thing here--I ain't never gonna uninstall FSX. Wait a minute. I have Steam FSX so I guess I'll never have to uninstall it?

One of you FSX/Computer experts should moonlight by going on Team Viewer or such and going through all the files and locations fixing stuff and calibrating controllers. If it weren't too much I bet a lot of people would hire you. Let me know if you do.

i7-7700k @ 4.2 Ghz, 16 GB DDR4/3000,2280 SSD M.2,Genome II Case,Nvidia GTX 1080 rear exhaust, Samsung 40" HDTV & Two 24" HP side monitors. Redbird Alloy yoke, pedals, and throttle. A single Saitek Instrument Panel and Cessna trim wheel. Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 speakers. Windows 10 64 bit. 58 measured Mbps.

Oh no. It doesn't appear any of these wonderful suggestions do the trick.

I followed the uninstall directions provided in Paul Craig's post with no success.

Running kb928080 ...

Cleaning up token store at : C:/ProgramData\Microsoft\SLDL\\SoftwaeLicensing

Re-creating clean trusted store . . .

Success

No change. Still only left with Repair and Remove options.

Has anyone any further suggestions, or have we exhausted all the possibilities?

Edited by Wintersedge

You need to reboot after running kb928080 and the SUCCESS message.

I was certain I had done that, but I tried again. Executed the kb and rebvooted and no go.

Could try a system restore to a time before you tried unistalling FSX & start again.

I restored to the one and only point I had in my restore optioins and I thimk it made things worse. All kinds of unistalled FSX addons in the uninstall menu that can't be unisntalled, as well as FSX and FSX Acceleration, also in the list, and cannoyt be uniunstalled or repaired.

:-(

I used this tool from Microsoft which fixed things enough for me to start the FSX installation process. We'll see if it works ... I seem to be stalled on the "Removing applications' portion of the installtion.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17588/windows-fix-problems-that-block-programs-being-installed-or-removed

Edited by Wintersedge

Your other advise, to choose "repair" won't work either. For repair to work the FSX files need to still be there. If they have been deleted manually clicking "Repair" in the installer program will do nothing.

As long as the registry entries are there (which is part of the problem) the repair will install all files back to the original directory, I had to do exactly that with my Boxed FSX before I got SE. Once they are there FSX will assume a normal install and remove all including the problematic registry entries.

Be aware that when you run the installer the first thing it does is install the registry entries. So if you cancel the install half way through you will have to run kb928080 as Admin again (and reboot) before you try to install again.
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]