Saitek Trim Wheel

Jim Hall

I spin my Saitek trim wheel while still on the ground in trying to prevent violent pitching when I touch it while flying but it still causes the violent pitching anyway when first touched. After this first pitching it works sorta ok for awhile. If time goes by and I touch it again the same thing happens. I have full sensitivity and no null. Can't pitch for speed on an approach. Is it fixable?

Also, can I rig my CH Eclipse yoke with a trim wheel? I know the wheel on the yoke doesn't do anything. How about the paddles on either side of the yoke handles. Does the CH trim wheel work better. I hate to have to use computer keys.

i7-7700k @ 4.2 Ghz, 16 GB DDR4/3000,2280 SSD M.2,Genome II Case,Nvidia GTX 1080 rear exhaust, Samsung 40" HDTV & Two 24" HP side monitors. Redbird Alloy yoke, pedals, and throttle. A single Saitek Instrument Panel and Cessna trim wheel. Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 speakers. Windows 10 64 bit. 58 measured Mbps.

After this first pitching it works sorta ok for awhile. If time goes by and I touch it again the same thing happens. I have full sensitivity and no null. Can't pitch for speed on an approach. Is it fixable?

Also, can I rig my CH Eclipse yoke with a trim wheel? I know the wheel on the yoke doesn't do anything. How about the paddles on either side of the yoke handles. Does the CH trim wheel work better. I hate to have to use computer keys.

Are you using the autopilot at all? Most autopilots will adjust elevator trim, which is a problem when you switch the A/P off unless you have a motorised trim wheel (which you don't :) ). The only real fix is not to use an absolute-position elevator trim control. Hence the paddles on your Eclipse won't be much use either.

But yes, you can map one of the rotary wheels on a CH Eclipse to up and down elevator controls. They just work like pairs of buttons. You can also hack the Saitek trim wheel to work as rotary encoder (it actually is one inside) but you have to be prepared to take it apart and solder a couple of wires onto it.

MarkH

C0TtlQd.jpg

Thank you, Mark. Should I look for a motorized trim wheel and would it be easy to install?
i7-7700k @ 4.2 Ghz, 16 GB DDR4/3000,2280 SSD M.2,Genome II Case,Nvidia GTX 1080 rear exhaust, Samsung 40" HDTV & Two 24" HP side monitors. Redbird Alloy yoke, pedals, and throttle. A single Saitek Instrument Panel and Cessna trim wheel. Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 speakers. Windows 10 64 bit. 58 measured Mbps.

You might try FSX Automatic Elevator Trim Gauge by Chuck Dome in the library. I used this on all my TDS 737's because I got tired of having to manually trim them out.

Sort of like a MCAS :)

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

Thank you, Mark. Should I look for a motorized trim wheel and would it be easy to install?

I doubt such a thing exists for FSX but I can't imagine why you would want it unless you are intending to create a 'proper' airliner cockpit. Just use a rotary encoder as I described, it shold work fine. If you need to tweak the rate you can use a Lua script if you have FSUIPC.

MarkH

C0TtlQd.jpg

Update! I removed the Trim Wheel usb connector from my powered usb hub and plugged it into the computer and what a remarkable fix, not only for my trim wheel but also for the other controls plugged into the hub. Smooth flying and landings. I wish I had known about this simple fix years ago. Thanks again guys for your advice which I was saving for last because of my sad lack of computer skills and fear of FSUIPC &c. Now I can concentrate on navigation and of doing add-on scenery which I know I'll screw up.

Be careful with larger USB hubs such as 7 or 10 port as they don't have sufficient power for each Saitek device. I use a array of x8, Orico 4 port powered hubs for all my Saitek Instrument Panels/Panels and CH Products controllers and never have any issues with them.

You can check by adding up the amp draw for each device and see if it exceeds the hub power supply.

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro