Does the P3D v4 flight recorder work?

BigT-65

Does the flight recorder in P3Dv4.5 work? Every time I try to use it to record a portion of a flight then play the recording back the plane just slowly circles and descends until in hits the ground. The recording has the correct weather and scenery but the actual flight path differs significantly from what the recording shows. Does it work or am I doing it wrong?
i7 8700K CPU @ 4.8 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 3000 memory, Gigabyte Aorus Z370 MB, EVGA RTX 2060 Super XC GPU 8GB GDDR6 Memory, MasterAir MA610P CPU cooler, 1TB PCIe NVMe SSD, 500 GB SSD, 2T HDD, 3 Asus 24" monitors, Saitek X56 Rhino HOTAS.[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It seems simple enough. You start it and then stop it. Then play it back. Is there more to it than that. I did go over the instructions in the Help tab. It had some complicated looking information but it didn't seem that I needed to do anything with it. Am I all wrong on this?
i7 8700K CPU @ 4.8 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 3000 memory, Gigabyte Aorus Z370 MB, EVGA RTX 2060 Super XC GPU 8GB GDDR6 Memory, MasterAir MA610P CPU cooler, 1TB PCIe NVMe SSD, 500 GB SSD, 2T HDD, 3 Asus 24" monitors, Saitek X56 Rhino HOTAS.[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]